Is seafood really safe ? It seems that many people I meet don't tend to have positive reactions with the ocean or any food from it

JamesGatz

I was thinking the other day how everyone says how dirty sea salt is on the forum - pickling salt seems to be a general recommendation for how dirty sea salt can be - but shouldn't this same logic be applied to all sea food from the ocean ? Nuclear waste, pollution, and cancer rates are sky-rocketing across ocean animals all over the world ?

water-bottle-in-water.jpg

Is it really safe to be eating any of this ? The smell of the ocean makes me sick I have always had anaphylactic reactions to sea food my entire life (and so has my mother so I do believe it is genetic) - When I think about anaphylactic reactions that are common - bee stings (venom), peanuts (potent anti-metabolism), but sea food as anaphylactic reactions seem to be quiet common as well ? Are anaphylactic reactions an evolutionary trait that occurs when something we are exposed to is especially dangerous ? It seems to be true for bee stings and peanuts, but sea food seems like a one-off ? Sea food doesn't seem to be at all safe unless the sea food was grown on a farm separate from an ocean ?

0.92334300_1575475699_17.jpg

I notice that sea-sickness from being on a cruise is quiet common - people say it is the motion of the boat that causes this but is that really true ? I see that sea-sickness seems to be way more common than car sickness or sickness from being on a flight - is this our body's way of telling us to stay away from it ?

200421145514-costa-deliziosa-2-1-full-169.jpg

It seems that many primates natural instincts is to stay away from these waters and it seems primates eating seafood is almost unheard of - maybe a few rare cases of them foraging for shellfish on islands but Chimpanzees and Gorillas especially seem to be unable to swim or float and even afraid of approaching large bodies of water

unnamed.jpg

Even reading old stories of sailors and explorers there seems to be very well documented notes of people getting very sick while sailing in the ocean - and this is before all the ocean pollution existed

Last edited:

gaze

a big problem is the chemicals they use to preserve it out of the ocean. most frozen seafood being sold contains sodium bisulfite, tri polyphosphate, or metabisulfite. as far as Im aware, whole foods is the only store that claims all the frozen fish sold is certified free of those 3 preservatives

aniciete

I no longer consume any kind of seafood. Back when I lived on the coast, the old-school local fishermen all said seafood was no longer safe for consumption and I trust their judgement.

OP
JamesGatz

JamesGatz

I no longer consume any kind of seafood. Back when I lived on the coast, the old-school local fishermen all said seafood was no longer safe for consumption and I trust their judgement.
Yea I definitely agree with that - the sight/smell of this seafood always made me sick especially now

a big problem is the chemicals they use to preserve it out of the ocean. most frozen seafood being sold contains sodium bisulfite, tri polyphosphate, or metabisulfite. as far as Im aware, whole foods is the only store that claims all the frozen fish sold is certified free of those 3 preservatives
Very interesting I wasn't aware of this - I try to buy all my meat as fresh as I can because it seems like everything meat related on the shelves is compromised in preservatives - I do notice that Whole foods has quiet a bit of advertising on their sea food compared to other stores I go to it does look very high quality

L

Lord Cola

I have always found seafood repulsive. The stench is the first thing that makes me avoid them. Nowadays there are problems with waste and radiation. Even if they go "thorough" testing, I do not believe that the equipment available is adequate for thorough testing. Allegedly the radiation from Fukushima could reach California, but of course experts rushed in to say it is harmless.

Apparently oysters are good sources of copper and zinc, and I notice differences after eating them, but they're sickening to eat, and I would like to find a low pufa / toxins, high nutritional density food that doesn't feed gut bacteria as a replacement. I have yet to find something that is commonly available.

O

oldfriend

I've tried eating shrimp, scallops, and oysters on a regular basis and never could develop a taste for them. With most oysters I basically have to plug my noise, force feed and battle a gag response while chewing. I do enjoy some freshly smoked oysters from time to time though. The glycine taste of cooked scallops is just gross IMO. Raw scallops aren't so bad, and I will some times have some with shrimp nigiri sushi which is by far my favorite among these. I don't really have any proclivity towards seafood, but weirdly do crave salmon some times. I know it's high PUFA but it's delicious and I feel good when I eat it occasionally so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals