Increasing Number Of Lipofuscin On Arms, Legs

peatyfoody

I pay attention to limiting/blocking iron in my diet... Rarely eat red meat, beef liver every 1-2 week, drink coffee. I eat though dark chocolate/cocoa more often as it helps my digestion. Limiting PUFA too. I am donating blood regaularly.

I have been eating peaty for more than a year, cycling progest-E and supplementing even niacinamide on and off. So I am getting more and more very small freckles/lipofuscin on my arms and nowadays even on my legs. I am getting a lot of sun where I live, but I use Aspirin orally and CO topically.

I even tried to apply topical progest-E on my headline and arms (I even think it gave me more combined with the sun...) and I rubbed niacinamide in CO on my arms during the day and it gave me massive insomnia. I did that yesterday and I could not sleep at all this night. It was definitely the topical niacinamide (1/3 tsp was it on both arms) as I do not have insomnia otherwise already. <

What would help?

Lejeboca

So I am getting more and more very small freckles/lipofuscin on my arms and nowadays even on my legs. I am getting a lot of sun where I live

These could be just "sun spots" or freckles, especially of they are small and regular in shape.

I couldn't find studies treating lipofuscin on the skin specifically. (Seems like some kind of taboo researching lipofuscin on the skin.), but I've found this study that shows beneficial effects of green tea (EGCG extract). So I would imagine there would be no harm of trying green tea both internally and topically (as a wash or powder poultice):

EGCG Inhibited Lipofuscin Formation Based on Intercepting Amyloidogenic β-Sheet-Rich Structure Conversion

"Lipofuscin (LF) is formed during lipid peroxidation and sugar glycosylation by carbonyl-amino crosslinks with biomacrolecules, and accumulates slowly within postmitotic cells. The environmental pollution, modern dietary culture and lifestyle changes have been found to be the major sources of reactive carbonyl compounds in vivo. Irreversible carbonyl-amino crosslinks induced by carbonyl stress are essentially toxiferous for aging-related functional losses in modern society. Results show that (-)-epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), the main polyphenol in green tea, can neutralize the carbonyl-amino cross-linking reaction and inhibit LF formation, but the underlying mechanism is unknown."

OP
P

peatyfoody

They are coming after tanning. Always. And I tan a lot. Meaning 2-3x 2-30 mins during the week and at weekend I am staying outside a lot. But these spots never go away. They are mildening on my face, but I have them on my arms for years. But I am getting a lot of new ones especially on my legs where I never had any before.

Attachments

• IMG_4001.JPG
    IMG_4001.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_4004.JPG
    IMG_4004.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 314

Andman

ive noticed the same thing, even without sun exposure, while doing everything as peaty as possible!

interesting indeed, maybe a good idea to ask the man directly per mail?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I pay attention to limiting/blocking iron in my diet... Rarely eat red meat, beef liver every 1-2 week, drink coffee. I eat though dark chocolate/cocoa more often as it helps my digestion. Limiting PUFA too. I am donating blood regaularly.

I have been eating peaty for more than a year, cycling progest-E and supplementing even niacinamide on and off. So I am getting more and more very small freckles/lipofuscin on my arms and nowadays even on my legs. I am getting a lot of sun where I live, but I use Aspirin orally and CO topically.

I even tried to apply topical progest-E on my headline and arms (I even think it gave me more combined with the sun...) and I rubbed niacinamide in CO on my arms during the day and it gave me massive insomnia. I did that yesterday and I could not sleep at all this night. It was definitely the topical niacinamide (1/3 tsp was it on both arms) as I do not have insomnia otherwise already. <

What would help?
It seems to take a few years to deplete pufa if you've been eating it your whole life. Even though you have been low pufa for a year and doing everything else right chances are you likely still have some lingering in your tissue. I'd expect to start seeing some improvement at the two year mark unless you would like to try to speed things up by trying to rapidly deplete pufa. Here's a good thread on the subject. Sorry in advance if you've read this before.
PUFA Depletion Can (probably) Be Accomplished In 30 Days!
You can find more using the search function.
I can say from personal experience I do not get new/visible age spots or lipofuscin now for the past several years. It was really bad in my late 30's and early 40's though. I personally stuck with the gradual approach because I could never tolerate ultra low fat for long but everyone is different.

OP
P

peatyfoody

Ok, something really strange is going on... I have these spots now all over my body. I had them on my arms for years and in the last months they started to cover my whole legs... a few on my forehead, fingers. Horrible. I am yound and my skin looks like I was 80 :( ... I have a theory now...
I use CO and Aspirin every time for tanning as it totally prevents sunburns for me. What if Aspirin indeed chelates the PUFA and iron out of my tissues exactly while I am tanning and they oxidize?!...
Because the other thing that happened I advised my mom the use of Aspirin against sunburns.. she had a great skin in her all life, zero lipofsucin. Now we met and she had many small liofuscin spots on her arms!... she even told me when I asked her what are these and when did they come that oh, no worries, they just appeared lately... since she has been using the aspirin for tanning...
so idk what is going on, but really maked me worried. What do you guys think?!

Ok, something really strange is going on... I have these spots now all over my body. I had them on my arms for years and in the last months they started to cover my whole legs... a few on my forehead, fingers. Horrible. I am yound and my skin looks like I was 80 :( ... I have a theory now...
I use CO and Aspirin every time for tanning as it totally prevents sunburns for me. What if Aspirin indeed chelates the PUFA and iron out of my tissues exactly while I am tanning and they oxidize?!...
Because the other thing that happened I advised my mom the use of Aspirin against sunburns.. she had a great skin in her all life, zero lipofsucin. Now we met and she had many small liofuscin spots on her arms!... she even told me when I asked her what are these and when did they come that oh, no worries, they just appeared lately... since she has been using the aspirin for tanning...
so idk what is going on, but really maked me worried. What do you guys think?!

I think you may very well have something here. It may be a terrible idea to use aspirin to prevent sunburn. Very plausible to me, but then again I don't know much.

I don't like the idea of using aspirin to avoid sunburn anyway.

Peatful

What is estrogen’s role?
Is aspirin liberating the PUFA and estrogen?
My lipofuscin was easily traceable to the big three (pre Peat knowledge):
Iron, estrogen and PUFA.

A “solution” would be topical and oral Vitamin E.

baccheion

Maybe now is a good time to look into NutrEval, a comprehensive hormone panel, a thyroid panel, and maybe even genetic testing. Maybe something is out of range.

Lipofuscin is said to be a result of lipid (per)oxidation. Maybe progesterone is low.

Turmeric (-containing MSM lotion) topically may remove spots. And centrophenoxine.

Long-term, maybe it's time to look into supplements that reduce oxidation and improve liver function. Vitamin E, MSM (+ vitamin C; 4g:1g), L-selenomethionine, riboflavin, iodine/iodide, etc.

OP
P

peatyfoody

yeah, i know indeed i need antioxidants. gonna try topical and oral vitamin E, maybe even topical vitamin C. but give up on aspirin immediately as a sun protector. :/

Nicole W.

They are coming after tanning. Always. And I tan a lot. Meaning 2-3x 2-30 mins during the week and at weekend I am staying outside a lot. But these spots never go away. They are mildening on my face, but I have them on my arms for years. But I am getting a lot of new ones especially on my legs where I never had any before.
Aren’t these freckles? Lipofusin are dark yellow or yellow tan and typically large. Maybe the size of a pea or even a dime. Yours look like ordinary freckles developed from sun exposure to me.

teds

Forum Supporter
Nice find. It makes sense in the context of the retina but I'm not sure if it would be the same for other tissues?
I wonder if @Travis has an opinion on this?
They propose that the mechanism may be different in other tissues.. I didn’t pick that up first time around..

“Presently, the most detailed knowledge about the mechanisms involved in lipofuscin formation come from studies on the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) of the eye. These studies indicate that at least the autofluorescent constituents of RPE lipofuscin are generated from derivatives of vitamin A that occur in the retina. Oxidative stress to the retina appears to promote the formation of these RPE fluorophores. Whether similar mechanisms are involved in the formation of the lipofuscins that occur in other tissues remains to be determined. The mechanisms involved in RPE lipofuscin fluorophore formation are closely related to metabolic pathways that are specific to the retina. Thus, it appears likely that the mechanisms by which lipofuscins form in other tissues differ fundamentally from those that underlie RPE lipofuscin formation.”

Blossom

Forum Supporter
They propose that the mechanism may be different in other tissues.. I didn’t pick that up first time around..

“Presently, the most detailed knowledge about the mechanisms involved in lipofuscin formation come from studies on the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) of the eye. These studies indicate that at least the autofluorescent constituents of RPE lipofuscin are generated from derivatives of vitamin A that occur in the retina. Oxidative stress to the retina appears to promote the formation of these RPE fluorophores. Whether similar mechanisms are involved in the formation of the lipofuscins that occur in other tissues remains to be determined. The mechanisms involved in RPE lipofuscin fluorophore formation are closely related to metabolic pathways that are specific to the retina. Thus, it appears likely that the mechanisms by which lipofuscins form in other tissues differ fundamentally from those that underlie RPE lipofuscin formation.”
Yeah, it goes against conventional wisdom that vitamin A is important for eye health and preventing macular degeneration. I'm interested in macular degeneration since it runs in my family.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals