Ideas To Improve Stomach Acid?

Ron J

I've done some reading online, but I like the advice from members in this board.

I'm interested after reading this comment by WestCoaster: "Ironically diets both high and low in calcium also interfere with absorption. So diets high in milk and OJ theoretically aren't magnesium absorbing friendly. It's all about balance as they say. Another thing we can list in there is poor stomach acid. A couple of the contributors to low stomach acid are both diets high in liquid and diets too low in fat.

If we want to look at it on a very broad scale, you look at the #1 thing that will determine one's thyroid function and ability to absorb any nutrients or vitamin/minerals, and that's stomach acid. With low stomach acid, one simply isn't getting the nutrients they think they are out of any food, so thyroid function will inevitably go down at some point. This is also why we see a ton of people with B12 deficiency despite eating diets that include meat. People really underestimate the effects have having too little HCL (which one of the indicators is acid reflux/heartburn)."

Queequeg

I've done some reading online, but I like the advice from members in this board.

I'm interested after reading this comment by WestCoaster: "Ironically diets both high and low in calcium also interfere with absorption. So diets high in milk and OJ theoretically aren't magnesium absorbing friendly. It's all about balance as they say. Another thing we can list in there is poor stomach acid. A couple of the contributors to low stomach acid are both diets high in liquid and diets too low in fat.

If we want to look at it on a very broad scale, you look at the #1 thing that will determine one's thyroid function and ability to absorb any nutrients or vitamin/minerals, and that's stomach acid. With low stomach acid, one simply isn't getting the nutrients they think they are out of any food, so thyroid function will inevitably go down at some point. This is also why we see a ton of people with B12 deficiency despite eating diets that include meat. People really underestimate the effects have having too little HCL (which one of the indicators is acid reflux/heartburn)."
I always take Betaine HCL with every cooked meal. I used to have acid reflux but no more.

OP
R

Ron J

I always take Betaine HCL with every cooked meal. I used to have acid reflux but no more.
Thanks for the advice.
Do you think Betaine HCL may cause a reduction of stomach acid due to adaptation?

OP
R

Ron J

haidut: "I don't know about betaine test, but I would NOT take betaine. It is a methyl donor, so it increases methylation, which may lead to cancer in the long run. It is also used in the synthesis of methionine, which is a bad amino acid in Peat-world.
A much safer option, with many other benefits, is taurine. Here is a study:
Role of taurine on acid secretion in the rat stomach. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Our results demonstrated for the first time in taurine-induced acid secretion due to increase intracellular calcium may act through the A type of GABA receptors, which are mainly located on cholinergic neurons though cAMP pathway and partially on nonneuronal cells in the rat stomach.""

Has Ray Peat given any advice in regards to improving stomach acid? So far salt seems to be ideal.

Queequeg

haidut: "I don't know about betaine test, but I would NOT take betaine. It is a methyl donor, so it increases methylation, which may lead to cancer in the long run. It is also used in the synthesis of methionine, which is a bad amino acid in Peat-world.
A much safer option, with many other benefits, is taurine. Here is a study:
Role of taurine on acid secretion in the rat stomach. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Our results demonstrated for the first time in taurine-induced acid secretion due to increase intracellular calcium may act through the A type of GABA receptors, which are mainly located on cholinergic neurons though cAMP pathway and partially on nonneuronal cells in the rat stomach.""

Has Ray Peat given any advice in regards to improving stomach acid? So far salt seems to be ideal.
f me... I may need to rethink my HCL source.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Bump. Any further input?

I've always had digestion issues; it might be connected to low thyroid, cortisol, and stress.

I had some good experiences with betaine HCL, but it's contraindicated with aspirin.

Cyproheptadine is an option as well.

Queequeg

Have you tried digestive enzymes. I dropped the Betaine and am just doing the enzymes. Not as great as the HCL but good enough.

BibleBeliever

I used to have issues with this. I find I burp when stomach acid is low and there is an uneasy feeling. Drinking water was the worst of all. Always would have negatives when drinking water, salt would help to counter.

Coffee is number 1. I have experimented with endless coffees. The best of the best is a good whole bean coffee that you freshly grind. Sometimes at the store the 16 dollar big bags go on sale for 8 dollars, so I buy 10-20 of them. I didn't notice much difference between arabica and robusta for digestion.

Then I started taking animal thyroid. Even better digestion. High amounts of salt were easier to tolerate too; before high amounts of salt would sometimes cause a gag-like effect. However I do consume potassium rich foods after salt to keep a good balance. Creatine helps; I think by causing water to be used properly. Taurine as well.

Otherwise ample protein increases stomach acid, as well as thyroid. Low protein will then lower it. I consume a lot of gelatin. If digested good it is a great benefit. It did not digest well until I was able to increase my stomach acid.

I also had to stop consuming herbs high in manganese such as ginger. 5 grams having 70%. Excessive manganese causes low stomach acid.

Milk unfortunately has variance. Too much milk or cheese seems to dilute stomach acid. Calcium and Magnesium: Requirements, Health Benefits, Supplement info
This site talks about excess calcium lowering stomach acid.
Calcium is tricky. I know it is recommended to a high extent here, but there seems to be many variables with it. Low thyroid appears to cause calcium retention. Vitamin k deficiency can make things worse. Apparently high serotonin has a big effect on how you handle calcium too.

I'm not sure if there's a practical method, but maybe if you drink milk and feel burpy or discomfort then your body isn't able to handle that calcium amount yet? Milk is 100% tolerable in coffee though. My cravings for milk vary greatly, sometimes I have no trouble with a liter in a day, other days less. More coffee makes it easier.

Apple cider vinegar is known to help. It can increase the need for more glucose and potassium/salt.
A few grams of raw beet is supposed to have useful enzymes and betaine to help digestion.
Dandelion root to stimulate the bile.

Broken man

Caffeine Increases Both Gastric Acid And Pepsin Levels
I know you have reservations about this, but thiamine has shown to work just as well as betaine in raising gastric acid output. Its mechanism of action was found to be not so much the presence of Cl- ions (if thiamine is used ad hydrochloride salt) but more due to the raising of CO2. Co2 also regulates gastric acid output. Glycine does as well, and there is no need to contain Cl- ions as glycine activates the chloride channels. So, using pure glycine and/or thiamine seems to work just as well.
Proper production of gastric acid has been shown to be crucial for the prevention of SIBO and IBS. Now, I don't know if it has effects on viruses in the colon but I don't see why not.
My suspicion is that gastric acid, being a strong Lewis acid is simply a respiration stimulator, and points things back to metabolism :) Sorry, did not mean to start another heated discussion on this

mattyb

I've had success increasing long chain dietary fat (mostly from high fat milk and eggs), occasionally supplementing turmeric (w/ piperine), and consuming pea shoots.

Long chain dietary fat (16-18 chain carbons) stimulates the secretion of both stomach acid and diamine oxidase, which aids in protein digestion. Pea shoots contain diamine oxidase as well. Turmeric seems to impact acidity for me, and it's a known stimulant of bile acid secretion from the gallbladder. I'm less certain of the mechanism, likely has something to do with contracting the gallbladder without requiring CCK (which inhibits stomach acidity), but I know that people with gallbladder problems are much more likely to have issues with stomach acidity (reflux, etc.).

Last edited:

Xisca

Thanks for the advice.
Do you think Betaine HCL may cause a reduction of stomach acid due to adaptation?
In my case no, on the reverse, I could leave it.
I knew this when I started to feel acidity on it, and got better stopping it.
After a month without, I felt some acidity up part of stomach and went back to BHCl, then got better, then acidity after 1 month, left it, and until now fine.

Also, I had stopped having protein for supper, and went back to having some.
Actually, nothing worse than having something sweet like bananas for supper!

I also went up again on olive oil, such as dendelion salad, also with apple vinegar, for beginning most meals appart from fruit meals.

EIRE24

I used to have issues with this. I find I burp when stomach acid is low and there is an uneasy feeling. Drinking water was the worst of all. Always would have negatives when drinking water, salt would help to counter.

Coffee is number 1. I have experimented with endless coffees. The best of the best is a good whole bean coffee that you freshly grind. Sometimes at the store the 16 dollar big bags go on sale for 8 dollars, so I buy 10-20 of them. I didn't notice much difference between arabica and robusta for digestion.

Then I started taking animal thyroid. Even better digestion. High amounts of salt were easier to tolerate too; before high amounts of salt would sometimes cause a gag-like effect. However I do consume potassium rich foods after salt to keep a good balance. Creatine helps; I think by causing water to be used properly. Taurine as well.

Otherwise ample protein increases stomach acid, as well as thyroid. Low protein will then lower it. I consume a lot of gelatin. If digested good it is a great benefit. It did not digest well until I was able to increase my stomach acid.

I also had to stop consuming herbs high in manganese such as ginger. 5 grams having 70%. Excessive manganese causes low stomach acid.

Milk unfortunately has variance. Too much milk or cheese seems to dilute stomach acid. Calcium and Magnesium: Requirements, Health Benefits, Supplement info
This site talks about excess calcium lowering stomach acid.
Calcium is tricky. I know it is recommended to a high extent here, but there seems to be many variables with it. Low thyroid appears to cause calcium retention. Vitamin k deficiency can make things worse. Apparently high serotonin has a big effect on how you handle calcium too.

I'm not sure if there's a practical method, but maybe if you drink milk and feel burpy or discomfort then your body isn't able to handle that calcium amount yet? Milk is 100% tolerable in coffee though. My cravings for milk vary greatly, sometimes I have no trouble with a liter in a day, other days less. More coffee makes it easier.

Apple cider vinegar is known to help. It can increase the need for more glucose and potassium/salt.
A few grams of raw beet is supposed to have useful enzymes and betaine to help digestion.
Dandelion root to stimulate the bile.
What animal thyroid do you take?

OP
R

Ron J

I have a question: I've read that too many meals a day can decrease stomach acid; does that include drinking juice many times a day, even several hours apart from meals? Or by "meals" does it have to include a protein source?

artist

I've always had low stomach acid, then I got food poisoning (about 1.5 years ago I think?) and my stomach was incredibly weak for almost a year. The one thing that really made a difference was gelatin (hydrolyzed collagen). I'm sensitive to it due to the high histamine content but it's been worth it, my stomach is strong again. I'll take one to several spoonfuls a day depending on what I feel I can handle in terms of the histamine.

Zpol

I've always had low stomach acid, then I got food poisoning (about 1.5 years ago I think?) and my stomach was incredibly weak for almost a year. The one thing that really made a difference was gelatin (hydrolyzed collagen). I'm sensitive to it due to the high histamine content but it's been worth it, my stomach is strong again. I'll take one to several spoonfuls a day depending on what I feel I can handle in terms of the histamine.

I have low stomach acidity too and so cannot absorb vitamins, especially crucial ones like B12, plus I have gastritis and recurring shingles. From my research glycine, taurine, and lysine can improve these issues, hence gelatin and hydrolyzed collagen are good, but, histame, arginine, and tryptophan can make things worse which one or all are in gelatin and hydrolyzed collagen.
I just started with @Kang 's AMINO PRO, and so far so good. It contains all those good AA's and not the bad ones. I have not gotten vitamin levels retested yet but will report when I do. Perhaps this supp could work for you in combo with healthy food sources. Just a thought.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals