• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

Anti-acid (PPI) Drugs Commonly Used For GERD Lead To Kidney Failure

haidut

I have long suspected that PPI drugs are very dangerous based on my observations of friends having bone problems and fractures typically seen in people 30-40 years older. The PPI drugs affect calcium and magnesium metabolism in ways that are just beginning to be elucidated and prescribing them like candy is certainly not wise. When they were being considered for approval back in the 1990s, it was widely publicized that in clinical trials the PPI drugs easily caused the condition atrophic gastritis, which is a known prerequisite for developing gastric cancer. Ironically, the symptoms of GERD (which is actually not that dangerous of a condition) can also be produced by lack of stomach acid. Since the production of stomach acid depends on proper thyroid function, naturally most people underproduce rather than over produce stomach acid. In addition, the original theory of GERD being one of the causes of esophageal cancer turned out to be patently untrue given that since PPI approval the esophageal cancer rates have skyrocketed and most GI doctors now recognize that lack of stomach acid (atrophic gastritis) is an actual cause of both stomach and esophageal cancers.
Recent studied also showed that PPI drugs also increase risk of dementia and other neurodegenerative conditions.
Anti-acid Drugs (ppi) May Cause Dementia

Now, this study adds kidney failure to the list of side effects. I am not sure what else needs to be discovered as side effects for these drugs in order for them to be withdrawn from the market. The conditions (GERD, ulcers) that the PPI drugs supposedly treat are actually not that common and not really caused by excess acid, but usually quite the opposite. In addition, each one of the conditions the PPI drugs were approved for is much less dangerous than the side effects these drugs are known to reliably produce. I suppose in the mind of the geniuses at FDA, gastric cancer, kidney failure, dementia, and spinal fractures are all acceptable risks compared to the dreaded GERD...

Commonly used reflux and ulcer medication may cause serious kidney damage

"...The findings suggest that long-term use of PPIs may be harmful to the kidneys and should be avoided. PPI use may not only increase the risk of developing chronic kidney disease, but may also increase the risk of its progression to complete kidney failure. "The results emphasize the importance of limiting PPI use only when it is medically necessary, and also limiting the duration of use to the shortest duration possible," said Dr. Al-Aly." A lot of patients start taking PPIs for a medical condition, and they continue much longer than necessary." The results also provide insights for future investigations on drug safety. "The study serves as a model to leverage the availability of Big Data--with VA data being a prime example--and advanced analytics to determine long term safety profiles of commonly used medications and promote pharmacovigilance," said Xie."

lindsay

I suppose in the mind of the geniuses at FDA, gastric cancer, kidney failure, dementia, and spinal fractures are all acceptable risks compared to the dreaded GERD...

I love how things like this are available OTC, but not thyroid meds and antibiotics. It's really dumb. I'd love to be able to go to CVS and buy my own antibiotics, but no - I can only buy poison OTC. Dumbest thing ever.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
haidut Anti-acid Drugs (ppi) May Cause Dementia Scientific Studies 7
Mauritio Caprylic acid is anti-bacterial, lowers IL-8, helps Glioblastoma Fats 0
Hans Palmitic Acid Might Be Anti-inflammatory Scientific Studies 1
General Orange Centella Asiatica: Madecassic Acid, The Contributor To The Anti-colitis Digestion, Gut Flora 0
Cirion Anti-metabolic Amino Acid Free Whey/Casein Protein Powders? Supplements 2
haidut PUFA Required/essential For Cancer; Stearic Acid Is A PUFA Antagonist & Anti-cancer Scientific Studies 94
Terma Abscisic Acid - Fruit Ripening Agent, Hypothalamic Regulator In Animals, Anti-cancer Agent Scientific Studies 13
GreekDemiGod The anti-stress effect of a woman’s love & affection Metabolism 68
JamesGatz In Defense of Starch - TCM and eating many cold/damp foods (fruit/milk) seems to be anti-metabolic ? Miscellaneous 11
aliml The Anti Depression Pills that may Kill Cancer Cancer 1
K Anti-gas Pills, Good to Take Digestion 9
Jon2547 Yahoo - anti-vax piece - what is missing here? Articles & Scientific Studies 6
Drareg Anti-Work movement Miscellaneous 14
Hans High dose anti-oxidants can cause premature cellular senescence Scientific Studies 3
aliml Anti-Thiamine factors B1 7
Hans CO2 might be the stronger and safest anti-inflammatory agent against RONA Scientific Studies 39
B AHA releases 2021 Anti-Peat Recommendations Health 0
P New anti-aspirin study for those 60 and older Health 24
M Nikola Tesla high frequency treatment (anti aging etc ) Ask For Help or Advice 8
Drareg US Military Anti Aging Pill Society 3
Lokzo Cyproheptadine, an epigenetic modifier, exhibits anti-tumor activity - 2021 Scientific Studies 11
Drareg Children anti-depressants, 231,791 prescriptions UK in 2020 Children 2
G Why is LLLT anti-inflammatory if it increases nitric oxide? Ask For Help or Advice 2
Velve921 Anti-Anxiety Activity Mental Issues 1
R Anti-Peat Mitigating PUFAs anti metabolic effect with increased calories intake Debate - Anti-Peat 9
B Stress of "Adult life" is what stunts brain, height and body frame growth??? (Anti-Neurogenesis and Anabolism) Ask For Help or Advice 1
michael94 Calcium helps to mitigate the Anti-Thyroid effects of Green Tea Thyroid and Hormones 1
G Aspirin and Androgens Compilation (Anti-Peat-ish) Scientific Studies 6
J Why was my best hair on anti DHT protocol? Hair & Nails 55
yerrag Dr. Robert Young - And Tom Brady- Practicing Very Anti-Peat Diet and Claims To Be Staying Healthy and Young WTF? Diet 54
Mito Repurposing Anti-Malaria Phytomedicine Artemisinin as a COVID-19 Drug Articles & Scientific Studies 0
charlie The protective and anti-inflammatory effect of methylene blue in corrosive esophageal burns: An experimental study Scientific Studies 8
F Homemade face moisturizer/anti aging serum ingredients advice? Ask For Help or Advice 35
R Anti Nitric Oxide effect of Maple Syrup Diet 2
I Near-infrared photoimmunotherapy of cancer: a new approach that kills cancer cells and enhances anti-cancer host immunity Cancer 2
Velve921 Anti-EMF Pendants Minerals 44
johnwester130 Mercola is now anti-PUFA Miscellaneous Health Discussions 14
calvert79 Anti Panic Attack Elixir? Ask For Help or Advice 31
Braveheart MUST SEE...DELETED BILL GATES DOCUMENTARY ABOUT GMO, VACCINES, Anti-Trust Lawsuit Vaccines 7
M Orange Juice is a potent anti-thyroid Diet 29
Lokzo Bromantane: The Anti-Stress Nootropic Supplements 5
appotis Warning Importing Androsterone to Germany Anti-Doping-Law Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 21
youngsinatra Rate My Anti-Aging Stack Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 77
Mito Anti-inflammatory activity of ivermectin in late-stage COVID-19 may reflect activation of systemic glycine receptors Miscellaneous Health Discussions 7
GreekDemiGod Preventive anti-Covid measures for my mother | Help me convince her to skip the vaxx Ask For Help or Advice 80
tankasnowgod The Anti-Catabolic and Anabolic Hormonal Profile of Eggs Eggs 28
A Cheap and effective anti-cortisol supp/alternative to ashwaghanda Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 28
Hugh Johnson Anti–spike IgG causes severe acute lung injury by skewing macrophage responses during acute SARS-CoV infection Scientific Studies 0
RealNeat Anti-A people, how do you respond to D? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
A Anti-Peat article on google Diet 12