Low Stomach Acid Remedies

Motif

I know that one of my main issues right now is low stomach acid. I believe that this is the precursor to secondary issues that result in long-term systemic failure of the organism.

For example, I would imagine it creates a chain of events as follow:

Low stomach acid ->compromised digestion->loss of nutrients & accumulation of internal toxins->low thyroid and lowered metabolism->fungus/bacterial overgrowth...which leads to more serious complications.

So obviously, I want to nip this in the bud before I start experiencing worsening of symptoms.

I've read through the forums and it doesn't seem that there is much conclusive advice on how to improve/raise stomach acid levels. I know that Betaine HCL isn't the best option and I would like to stimulate the stomach enough so it learns to produce the right amount consistently. I know that apple cider vinegar can help stimulate acid production but I don't know when to take it (before or after meals) to achieve the right effect.

After reading some of Ray's work, it seems that Calcium and salt are huge components in stomach acid production but it also seems that too much calcium can inhibit production. I am wondering what the sweet spot is for Calcium with taking the above into consideration.

Any and all advice is much appreciated, thanks all!

Hey! Were you able to fix this issue?

.2mg/kg of methionine is actually extremely low unless there’s some unit issue. Even without eating muscle meat much, I’m over 2 grams a day of methionine and 1g of cysteine.

In any event, betaine HCL works so well and is so damn cheap that it’s a no brainer to me. Supplements have pros and cons.

rei

I believe gaba is one of the primary brakes on gastric secretions, so preventing gaba activation might work.

ddjd

Apple cider vinegar was a game changer for me. I finally can break down protein and other nutrients properly for good absorption

Dave Clark

You could have honey with meals or even on an empty stomach. I have heard of both ways working. Honey is very acidic so it could be aiding digestion that way or like I said it could be the enzymes. Yes, inflammation is just one of the causes of low HCL. Haidut posted about how GERD was not caused by low stomach acid but by inflammation. There are certainly other causes like H. Pylori for instance or autoimmune gastritis.
I don't have any studies to share with you, but I had read somewhere that high estrogen can cause low stomach acid. I wonder if Ray agrees with this, as he tends to think a lot of problems are caused by estrogen. Also read, and have experienced myself, that progesterone can cause acid reflux, in case you are dealing with that issue. I have read the digestive bitters will tone up the LES, and get the stomach to start producing proper stomach acid on it's own.

Ron J

A lot of the nutritional recommendations here seem to be on the alkalizing side, with so many alkaline minerals; does that mean that betaine HCL/apple cider vinegar is a must? Or are we able to produce enough gastric acid?

Luann

I had never thought to take glycine for stomach acid production before, but would love to try it as I suspect that my hcl may be low. I take a mineral supplement and extra copper, but feel tired a lot, and my skin also looks tired. I have read that reactions to pollen, orange juice and proline, are all related to low digestion of proteins - and I react to all of those (and more.)
What was said about estrogen causing or coinciding with low stomach acid seems, from my experience as a young lady, to be a valid connection.

ddjd

Wouldn't just chewing gum after a meal (a clean gum product) help produce more digestive acids?

LCohen

Apple cider vinegar works amazingly

Absolutely.

This simple stuff is amazing. My GERD-Acid Reflux is completely gone. My digestion is unbelievably great. No more any constipation or diarrhea. Happy poops, zero problems.

I combine it with sodium bicarbonate and/or coconut oil. I have never felt sooo good.

ddjd

Absolutely.

This simple stuff is amazing. My GERD-Acid Reflux is completely gone. My digestion is unbelievably great. No more any constipation or diarrhea. Happy poops, zero problems.

I combine it with sodium bicarbonate and/or coconut oil. I have never felt sooo good.
Yeah it's amazing for liver and digestive health. Amazing for weight loss also. I love the stuff but I find drinking the solution, it was slowly eroding my teeth so I've ordered a capsule form.

Also be aware, from a peat perspective, it is a very strong nitric oxide agonist, and therefore is not ideal.

High Nitric oxide is linked with accelerated aging and lots of health problems

@DanielleB the other thing is Thiamine HCL, very effective. Combine with magnesium for maximum effect.

Inaut

i typically swish some baking soda/water in my mouth after meals or after using vinegar to neutralize acidity. I also think ACV is very helpful for digestion.

SQu

Coffee at breakfast. Taurine after dinner. Gets rid of that feeling that food is just sitting inert after you swallow. That dry feeling like you need to wash it down with water. Keeps digestion ticking over.

jet9

Apple cider vinegar was a game changer for me. I finally can break down protein and other nutrients properly for good absorption
Joyed, are you still taking ACV? Any side effects from long term use?

ddjd

Joyed, are you still taking ACV? Any side effects from long term use?
I still use it but in capsule form because it was killing my enamel. And I use it a lot less often than before. Problem is it massively raises nitric oxide

artist

Here is post that ACV can lower thyroid Vinegar Makes Me Hypothyroid
The people in that thread sound more like they're having histamine reactions to the vinegar. I get those as well. Vinegar also lowers blood sugar and I've experienced many a hypoglycemic episode after taking some with not enough carbs.

I think my number one low stomach acid remedy (as someone for whom low stomach acid is perhaps the nexus of health problems) is salt. Baking soda and vinegar used to be my go-to means of achieving this but for some reason it seemed to dramatically increase intestinal transit time, which is very bad. I now try to just salt the daylights out of my food, drink broths, eat salads etc. I'm also experimenting with lemon peel and finding it works very quickly to relieve a too-full feeling, so I will try d-limonene next to get a more potent form.

If my mineral status gets screwed up (as it did from my recent high dose C experiment) it really ruins my stomach and I feel all around terrible for a while. Salt is magic and I treat it like a critical nutrient the way some people would getting their 8 glasses of water

Last edited:

jzeno

@DanielleB

I suffered from symptoms similar to yours. The only remedy that worked for me was large amounts of salt.

Stomach acid, HCl, Hydrochloric acid, requires chlorine. Salt, NaCl, sodium chloride, breaks down to feed the gut in making stomach acid. Large amounts of salt are just the trick.

Everytime I tried some SIBO cure it didn't work. But when I ate a bunch of salt--immediately--and I mean right away, my stomach started to move and break things down like it never had before. It was unbelievable. I could hear it rumbling and gurgling whereas before whenever I are something it felt like it just sat still.

This guy breaks it down well:

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals