Stomach Acid - Article

TreasureVibe

The Benefits of Stomach Acid
Stomach acid is present to:

1. Help protect the body from pathogens that would otherwise enter through the digestive system. Many pathogenic bacteria, such as E. coli and H. pylori THRIVE in an alkaline environment. This is why E. coli lives in the alkaline environment of the intestines and H. pylori secretes ammonia to neutralize stomach acid to protect itself. Reducing stomach acid just makes it that much easier for these pathogens to set up shop in the body where they DO NOT belong.

2. To allow for the absorption of minerals as non-chelated minerals are reacted with the acid to convert them in to absorbable salts.

3. Reduction of acid reflux, which results from the lack of stomach acid. A lack of stomach acid leads to fermentation by yeast overgrowth in the stomach and by fermentation of foods not being digested properly. The resultant gas formation builds up in the stomach and is eventually rapidly released up the esophagus carrying traces of acid with it.

4. To allow for the proper digestion of proteins. The digestive enzyme pepsin cannot work without sufficient levels of hydrochloric acid (stomach acid). When proteins are not broken down properly the intact proteins can enter the bloodstream forming antigens. This in turn can lead to serious and even life threatening allergic reactions.

5. Absorption of vitamins. The B vitamins B6, B12 and folate in particular are dependent on sufficient stomach acid for absorption. Stomach acid levels decline though with age naturally. This is why deficiencies of B6, B12 and folate are so common in the elderly.

6. Conversion of silica to orthosilicic acid for use by the body. Silica is essential for the formation of collagen, elastin, and chondroitin. Without sufficient silica we develop numerous conditions including osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, heart disease, emphysema, diverticulitis, etc. Even wrinkles and cellulite can result from a loss of silica leading to a reduction of the structural proteins collagen and elastin. In order for silica to be absorbed and utilized it must first be converted in to orthosilicic acid. This occurs from a reaction between silica and water, but the process is greatly enhanced by the presence of an acid. The primary acid for this conversion is stomach acid.
As I mentioned before stomach acid DECLINES with age. This leads to a drop in the conversion of silica in to orthosilicic acid, and therefore a loss of collagen, elastin, and chondroitin production as we age. Now go back and look at the symptoms that develop from the loss of these structural proteins. Notice how t

hese are not seen in younger people but are common in the elderly? So why do we see this in the elderly? Because the lack of stomach acid interferes with the absorption of nutrients needed for the production of structural proteins. These nutrients include silica, zinc, copper and amino acids.
As we can see if you want to speed up the production of "age-related disorders" a simple way is to do this is to neutralize your stomach acid.

It should be noted that most of the nutrients needed to form stomach acid are acid dependant for absorption. Therefore the lack of stomach acid leads to further declines in stomach acid, leading to less absorption of stomach acid forming nutrients, leading to less stomach acid formation......... It is a vicious cycle downhill once started. Therefore I recommend avoiding antacids, acid blockers also known as proton pump inhibitors, alkaline waters, calcium carbonate (coral, oyster shell, dolomite), calcium oxide/hydroxide (lime) and magnesium oxide/hydroxide.

Source: Alt/Trad Medical Review

These are the views of James Sloane, herbalist, former MD. I do not endorse his views on grounds of neutrality. His views should be interpreted and discussed by each individual reader. Feel free to discuss this article below.

Wagner83

Some recommend hcl to increase stomach acid, as if it was candy, but then Amazoniac posted about how chloride in the diet and supplements could lead to systemic issues.

yerrag

Therefore I recommend avoiding antacids, acid blockers also known as proton pump inhibitors, alkaline waters, calcium carbonate (coral, oyster shell, dolomite), calcium oxide/hydroxide (lime) and magnesium oxide/hydroxide.

Many good points in this post, showing the importance of stomach acid to our health. However, I'm not sure as to whether avoiding calcium carbonate and alkaline waters is an answer to maintaining the ability of the stomach to produce enough gastric juice. It was pointed out in another thread, on baking soda, that even drinking baking soda water during meals increase the production of hydrochloric acid by the stomach, as counter-intuitive as that may seem to be.

I think that there are better ways to maintain the stomach's ability to produce hydrochloric acid, and it starts with maintaining the ability to use the circulating NaCl in the blood effectively such that the chloride ions are properly used to produce HCl in the stomach, and that the sodium ions are properly used in the intestines to convert HCl back to NaCl. Keeping this interaction in place by having a balance in our internal system would be more important. If you do not have deficiencies, and have good metabolism, and minimize occurrences of stress, then a state of homeostatis would be the best prevention of hypochloridia, or whatever else maladies there are.

EIRE24

Many good points in this post, showing the importance of stomach acid to our health. However, I'm not sure as to whether avoiding calcium carbonate and alkaline waters is an answer to maintaining the ability of the stomach to produce enough gastric juice. It was pointed out in another thread, on baking soda, that even drinking baking soda water during meals increase the production of hydrochloric acid by the stomach, as counter-intuitive as that may seem to be.

I think that there are better ways to maintain the stomach's ability to produce hydrochloric acid, and it starts with maintaining the ability to use the circulating NaCl in the blood effectively such that the chloride ions are properly used to produce HCl in the stomach, and that the sodium ions are properly used in the intestines to convert HCl back to NaCl. Keeping this interaction in place by having a balance in our internal system would be more important. If you do not have deficiencies, and have good metabolism, and minimize occurrences of stress, then a state of homeostatis would be the best prevention of hypochloridia, or whatever else maladies there are.
Ya I always thought that baking soda would reduce HCL?

Dave Clark

Studies show that as young people we make about 200ml/hour of HCl, by the time we are in our fifties that level decreases to about 60 to 70 ml/hr of HCL.
The reasons can be multi-factoral, and be debated, but I think it is more important to just make sure we have enough stomach acid, if that means taking a pepsin/hcl pill, drinking ACV, using bitters, etc., than it behooves us to do so, because the repercussions of low stomach acid are severe, and affect everything downstream. Stomach acid is also the gate keeper in terms of microbes, along with proper digestion of proteins, etc.

Dobbler

Some recommend hcl to increase stomach acid, as if it was candy, but then Amazoniac posted about how chloride in the diet and supplements could lead to systemic issues.
Yeah but it depends who you choose to belive and follow. Studies, forums, experiences or some random guy? Its up to everyone individually.

yerrag

Ya I always thought that baking soda would reduce HCL?
I guess there's a limit to how much baking soda water you can drink before it starts interfering with digestion. I've taken water with 2g of baking soda right after a meal and I haven't felt anything different, over the course of a week. But I don't want to push the limits, and don't know where the limit is, and the limit would likely vary from one to another.

managing

I guess there's a limit to how much baking soda water you can drink before it starts interfering with digestion. I've taken water with 2g of baking soda right after a meal and I haven't felt anything different, over the course of a week. But I don't want to push the limits, and don't know where the limit is, and the limit would likely vary from one to another.
Sort of.

Here are the variables:

How much food is in the stomach right now?

How much HCl is in stomach right now?

How fast can your body produce more HCl?

How much NaCO3 are you adding?

The stomach will always, no matter what, respond to any acid neutralization (even food does this) by producing more HCl. But if your food has already passed to the duodenum, then you may have problems.

However, between meals, neutralizing stomach acid just causes more to be made. There may be a finite sum of -Cl, but its almost certainly not going to be the limiting factor. Now, it is certainly possible to raise the pH of the stomach enough to irritate or even damage the stomach lining. I have no idea what that amount is, but its rather high. Although, 2g at one time seems like a lot to me. Still you are probably talking irritation terrritory and not damage territory.

Obi-wan

Gastric acid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Gastric acid, gastric juice or stomach acid, is a digestive fluid formed in the stomach and is composed of hydrochloric acid (HCl), potassium chloride (KCl) and sodium chloride (NaCl). The acid plays a key role in digestion of proteins, by activating digestive enzymes, and making ingested proteins unravel so that digestive enzymes break down the long chains of amino acids. Gastric acid is produced by cells in the lining of the stomach, which are coupled in feedback systems to increase acid production when needed. Other cells in the stomach produce bicarbonate, a base, to buffer the fluid, ensuring that it does not become too acidic. These cells also produce mucus, which forms a viscous physical barrier to prevent gastric acid from damaging the stomach. The pancreas further produces large amounts of bicarbonate and secretes bicarbonate through the pancreatic duct to the duodenum to completely neutralize any gastric acid that passes further down into the digestive tract.

yerrag

Very nice. Thanks Amazoniac. It explains why pork has to be cooked being that pigs are phylogenetically closer to humans, and why beef can be eaten raw.

And it reinforces the importance of having good stomach pH to maintain the low acidity needed to kill off bacteria. And why good thyroid function is important as it provides for the production of CO2 which forms carbonic acid. Carbonic acid serves as a key substrate, together with NaCl in producing HCl.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals