Low Stomach Acid Remedies

Cirion

Eat high caloric density foods.

Low caloric density foods like milk or OJ destroy your digestive abilities but dense calories like beef, syrup, dried fruit give you a lot of energy per gram of food.

Low caloric density foods kill your digestion because they dilute your digestion tract / dilute your acid.

SQu

I now try to just salt the daylights out of my food, drink broths, eat salads etc. I'm also experimenting with lemon peel and finding it works very quickly to relieve a too-full feeling, so I will try d-limonene next to get a more potent form.
Any updates? Did you try the limonene? How much?

RatRancher

Hypochloridia or worse, no acid can cause so many issues that many on this forum complain about.
As someone earlier pointed out, stomach acid decreases with age. This affects nutrient absorption as you all know.

But low acid can also cause dumping syndrome,when the food is not broken down and gets to the small intestine.
Huge blood sugar disregulation, IBS and IBD, bloating, tachycardia, SIBO, and too much serotonin from irritation of the intestinal lining . Followed by leakiness , allergic reactions and endotoxin issues.
The issues that stem from low acid could account for most complaints people have.
While thyroid and sugar ala RP are great, if the body does not have the required elements via poor digestion it becomes a chicken or the egg issue.
I suffer from post prandial tachycardia. Eat or drink and about 30-60 minutes later I have a heart rate of about 130,that stays elevated for about 2 + hours. Magnesium, potassium, t3/T4 at night,increased sugar and salt etc had no effect.
But i noticed that about 6 betaine hcl with meals seemed to keep the heart in a more manageable rate. Glycine doesnt do much for me, imho because I am not digesting it. If I am not digesting it, I doubt I get any of the benefits of it.

Lewistx

@DanielleB

I suffered from symptoms similar to yours. The only remedy that worked for me was large amounts of salt.

Stomach acid, HCl, Hydrochloric acid, requires chlorine. Salt, NaCl, sodium chloride, breaks down to feed the gut in making stomach acid. Large amounts of salt are just the trick.

Everytime I tried some SIBO cure it didn't work. But when I ate a bunch of salt--immediately--and I mean right away, my stomach started to move and break things down like it never had before. It was unbelievable. I could hear it rumbling and gurgling whereas before whenever I are something it felt like it just sat still.

This guy breaks it down well:

Hey how much salt did you use to get the acid production up I'm messed up that I have hpylori infection

accelerator

Apple cider vinegar was a game changer for me. I finally can break down protein and other nutrients properly for good absorption

Yeah it's amazing for liver and digestive health. Amazing for weight loss also. I love the stuff but I find drinking the solution, it was slowly eroding my teeth so I've ordered a capsule form.

Also be aware, from a peat perspective, it is a very strong nitric oxide agonist, and therefore is not ideal.

High Nitric oxide is linked with accelerated aging and lots of health problems

How much did you use, and did the capsules work as well as the liquid?

Apple

I think those guys in video never checked their stomach acid level or don't know what they are talking about.
I would advise against consuming of high amount of salt.
I have low stomach acid and adding too much salt usually exacerbates the problem, it prevents digestion. Dispite it irritates the stomach it causes rather stomach paine than stimulation of acid production . But small amount for taste is usually ok .
On the other hand Betaine HCL works fantastic .

On salt consumption :
High Dietary Salt Intake Exacerbates Helicobacter pylori-Induced Gastric Carcinogenesis

In summary, the results of this study reveal that increased dietary salt consumption markedly alters the outcome of infection with a cagA+ H. pylori strain. In the simplest model, high salt concentrations stimulate increased expression of cagA, and the actions of CagA lead to inflammation, hypochlorhydria, and enhanced carcinogenesis.

jzeno

@Apollo no offense but it’s in the name.

Sodium chloride. Hydrochloric acid. The body uses the chlorine from the salt to make stomach acid...

Apple

@jzeno
Wasn't Trump advising to drink bleach against coronavirus...It could help with digestion too :eek:

Sodium chloride. Hydrochloric acid. The body uses the chlorine from the salt to make stomach acid...
Many people consume very little salt, or no salt at all and never have digestive problems. Add salt to red meat and you get processed red meat with all the consequences like cancer and heart diseases. I don't think we really need Sodium chloride (table salt) to produce stomach acid. it's just oversimplification of problem, Sodium chloride is not acid.

redsun

@jzeno
Wasn't Trump advising to drink bleach against coronavirus...It could help with digestion too :eek:

Many people consume very little salt, or no salt at all and never have digestive problems. Add salt to red meat and you get processed red meat with all the consequences like cancer and heart diseases. I don't think we really need Sodium chloride (table salt) to produce stomach acid. it's just oversimplification of problem, Sodium chloride is not acid.

Who are these people you know who consume very little salt? If they eat salt to craving sure thats the right way to do it and by that fact salt intake can be very variable between people. For many different reasons especially in the modern day most people have a reduced ability to retain electrolytes especially sodium.

I have noticed I crave salt much less when I eat a lot of steak, could be increased nutrient cofactors for things like cortisol ans aldosterone which help retain sodium. Also veal liver gives similar response, provides shitton of Bs and minerals for aldosterone, cortisol etc. but also copper which helps makes ADH, which plays a role in maintaining hydration...

No sodium chloride is not an acid... but it provides chloride, you know, the CL in HCL. Low chloride = low stomach acid.

Lolz adding salt to red meat does not make it processed are you high? Nor does it give you cancer and heart disease whether its salted or not red meat is one of the healthiest things you can eat.

D

danishispsychic

Braggs make an ACV product ( Vitacost ) that is AVC, cayenne, lemon and honey that really helped all of my issues with this. ( mix it with water and ice and sip it through the day, or even better, add it to tart cherry juice.

Apple

Who are these people you know who consume very little salt? If they eat salt to craving sure thats the right way to do it and by that fact salt intake can be very variable between people. For many different reasons especially in the modern day most people have a reduced ability to retain electrolytes especially sodium.
In my family I'm usually the only adding extra salt to food (convincing myself it maybe good for me) and I'm the only one having issue with low stomach acid. Most people around me are trying to avoid salt like the plague and nobody compalins about bad digestion/low stomach acid.
Yes, that's common thinking that we need salt but from my expierence it doesn't help if you already have impaired acid production and it can even make it worse. But Betaine HCL does wonders.

redsun

In my family I'm usually the only adding extra salt to food (convincing myself it maybe good for me) and I'm the only one having issue with low stomach acid. Most people around me are trying to avoid salt like the plague and nobody compalins about bad digestion/low stomach acid.
Yes, that's common thinking that we need salt but from my expierence it doesn't help if you already have impaired acid production and it can even make it worse. But Betaine HCL does wonders.

Well they can just not be vocalizing issues, most people don't. Question is what comes first, the bad stomach acid production, or the adding salt to food causing lowered stomach acid? I HIGHLY doubt its the latter.

Btw you should not add extra salt thinking it will do you some good. Salt to taste, not because you think its going to help. I have way less salt cravings and less sodium intake in general when I eat steaks daily or very close to daily. My guess is salt craving can be partially do to other mineral deficiencies such as iron, zinc, selenium or lack of protein worsening water retention (low arginine or low vitamin C causing low ADH).

Motif

Apple cider vinegar was a game changer for me. I finally can break down protein and other nutrients properly for good absorption
How much and how often do you take it? Do you take it before meals ?

Motif

I had never thought to take glycine for stomach acid production before, but would love to try it as I suspect that my hcl may be low. I take a mineral supplement and extra copper, but feel tired a lot, and my skin also looks tired. I have read that reactions to pollen, orange juice and proline, are all related to low digestion of proteins - and I react to all of those (and more.)
What was said about estrogen causing or coinciding with low stomach acid seems, from my experience as a young lady, to be a valid connection.
Were you able to improve your digestion?

Motif

@DanielleB

I suffered from symptoms similar to yours. The only remedy that worked for me was large amounts of salt.

Stomach acid, HCl, Hydrochloric acid, requires chlorine. Salt, NaCl, sodium chloride, breaks down to feed the gut in making stomach acid. Large amounts of salt are just the trick.

Everytime I tried some SIBO cure it didn't work. But when I ate a bunch of salt--immediately--and I mean right away, my stomach started to move and break things down like it never had before. It was unbelievable. I could hear it rumbling and gurgling whereas before whenever I are something it felt like it just sat still.

This guy breaks it down well:

How much did or do you take
?

Amazoniac

How chloride from salt can be bad
?

I found naturopathic doctor Peter Glidden's video on acid reflux and he said that acid reflux is caused by a lack of chloride and calcium. Now I can eat my belly completely full and go to sleep right after with full stomach and I still won't get any burning.
- Optimal Sodium Intake Is At Least 230% Higher Than RDA

1624021781515.png

15 mg CaCl2/kg bw: about 400 mg of killcium.
Using a chloride salt doesn't seem the most elucidating choice, but at least there's the chelator group.

1624021787640.png