All The Possible Ways To INCREASE Stomach Acid

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Hey ya'll,

I am trying to biohack heartburn/reflux through the use of herbs and other means of increasing stomach acid/pancreatic exocrine function.

The number one herb to do this I have found has been Gentiana Lutea.

Does anyone know any other hacks to increase stomach acid?
Eg. Essential oils, herbs, supplements etc.

Thanks!

yerrag

I would start with taking more salt, as it's sodium chloride, and the chloride is needed to form hydrochloric acid, the same acid as in stomach acid. But sorry if I may be stating the obvious, and if your question precludes consideration of this

milk_lover

Glycine, caffeine/coffee, salt, and probably aspirin are really good for aiding digestion I think.

Xisca

Supps are talked about in this forum, but herbs and EO not much, or as non specific RP.
Herbs and greens are said to be only for minerals in broth.
So this is non peat to eat bitter greens with apple vinegar for breakfast...
Chew green leaves like dandelion to get a bitter taste in your mouth before all meals. Sugar eaters are usually feeling "yuk" only to the idea of bitter taste! Salt yes, good point Yerrag...
Glycine, caffeine/coffee, salt, and probably aspirin are really good for aiding digestion I think.
Typical ray peat products!
I do not think i ever read RP talks about stomach acid?

milk_lover

Supps are talked about in this forum, but herbs and EO not much, or as non specific RP.
Herbs and greens are said to be only for minerals in broth.
So this is non peat to eat bitter greens with apple vinegar for breakfast...
Chew green leaves like dandelion to get a bitter taste in your mouth before all meals. Sugar eaters are usually feeling "yuk" only to the idea of bitter taste! Salt yes, good point Yerrag...

Typical ray peat products!
I do not think i ever read RP talks about stomach acid?
For the coffee aiding digestion, I read this study -- > [The influence of coffee and caffeine on gastrin and acid secretion in man (author's transl)]. - PubMed - NCBI

As for gelatin/glycine helping, Peat said, "A recent publication shows that glycine alleviates colitis; but the use of gelatin, especially in the form of a concentrated gelatinous beef broth, for colitis, dysentery, ulcers, celiac disease, and other diseases of the digestive system, goes far back in medical history. Pavlov's observation of its effectiveness in stimulating the secretion of digestive juices occurred because the stimulating value of broth was already recognized."
You can find it here --> Gelatin, stress, longevity

Salt has chlorine so it might help with HCL.

Aspirin is protective against irritants from food according to Peat.

schultz

I believe amino acids stimulate gastric acid secretion.

Effect of individual l-amino acids on gastric acid secretion and serum gastrin and pancreatic polypeptide release in humans. - PubMed - NCBI
Individual l-amino acids were instilled intragastrically to determine possible differences in stimulation of gastric acid secretion and gastrin and pancreatic polypeptide release. Phenylalanine and tryptophan were significantly more potent stimulants of gastric acid secretion and of pancreatic polypeptide and gastrin release than any of the other amino acids tested. Smaller, but significant, responses were obtained with threonine for pancreatic polypeptide and with serine for acid secretion. We conclude that a major part of the acid-stimulating action of mixed amino acid solution can be explained by the aromatic amino acids, phenylalanine and tryptophan, which are also the most potent stimulants of gastrin and pancreatic polypeptide release. These studies suggest that the specific composition of amino acid mixtures determines the net effects of such mixtures on gastric secretion, and on release of both the antral hormone gastrin and the pancreatic hormone, pancreatic polypeptide.

Beer and wine also increase it.

Alcohol and gastric acid secretion in humans: a short review. - PubMed - NCBI
Oral, intragastric, and intraduodenal administrations of ethanol do not release gastrin, whereas beer and white and red wine but not whisky and cognac are potent stimulants of gastric acid secretion and release gastrin in humans. The stimulatory mechanism of low ethanol concentrations is unknown. Nonalcoholic constituents of beer and wine are most likely responsible for the strong stimulatory action of both beverages on gastric acid secretion and release of gastrin.

theLaw

Hey ya'll,

I am trying to biohack heartburn/reflux through the use of herbs and other means of increasing stomach acid/pancreatic exocrine function.

The number one herb to do this I have found has been Gentiana Lutea.

Thanks!

Probably best to fix the problem (fatty liver, exdotoxin, stored pufa) rather than focusing on the symptoms.

In the short term BCAAs, thyroid, and potato juice worked best for me along with activated charcoal/carrot salad to minimize endotoxin.

BCAAs resolved my ulcer and major digestive issues/acid reflux.:D

Peater Piper

Have you tried supplementing HCL and/or digestive enzymes to see if your symptoms are relieved?

theLaw

how did they do that? Very intriguing. If you have a post where you described this, I'm all ears...thank you!

I assume it works similar to potato juice, I was just tired of preparing it.

Peat has said that even people in very poor health can digest the potato juice, and it has impressive restorative powers.

Personally, I think that activated charcoal once per week + carrot per day + BCAAs would basically resolve digestive issues in the short term.

I assume it works similar to potato juice, I was just tired of preparing it.

Peat has said that even people in very poor health can digest the potato juice, and it has impressive restorative powers.

Personally, I think that activated charcoal once per week + carrot per day + BCAAs would basically resolve digestive issues in the short term.

BCAAs as in the powders?

I'm doing charcoal daily, but not a lot...maybe 2 teaspoons or so, and it seems to be really helpful...

theLaw

61NmWSl3ySL._SY679_.jpg

What's great about this company is that you can buy powder or gel caps. I usually add a few other mentioned in Haidut's thread, but even these alone are pretty effective.:cool:

RobertJM

What's particularly beneficial about the potato juice? Is it lowering of ammonia?

mt_dreams

are you looking to stop having this problem when you eat, or trying to get your body to produce more acid? as for the former, have something with vinegar during the meal. also if i remember correctly radishes increase stomach acid. sweedish bitters are popular in certain cultures. i've also been told that beet kavass is good for this, though i've never bothered looking into that. the last one and bitters are probably not peaty.

x-ray peat

I would look into digestive enzymes. I had digestive issues for a while and they really helped. Supplementing with betaine HCl probably isnt a good idea as the betaine is a form of methionine which has all sorts of negative consequences particularly with aging.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals