• Due to excessive bot signups along with nefarious actors we are limiting forum registration. Keep checking back for the register link to appear. Please do not send emails or have someone post to the forum asking for a signup link. Until the current climate changes we do not see a change of this policy. To join the forum you must have a compelling reason. Letting us know what skills/knowledge you will bring to the community along with the intent of your stay here will help in getting you approved.

How/where do you prepare/buy your orange juice?

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
CowboyDan said:
Not as easy as I thought it would be to blend oranges in a vitamix then extract the pulp. Suggestions?

Use a juicer. ;)
 

CowboyDan

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
5
Location
Louisiana
4peatssake said:
CowboyDan said:
Not as easy as I thought it would be to blend oranges in a vitamix then extract the pulp. Suggestions?

Use a juicer. ;)

Ha, yea that would be the logical thing to do. I was being lazy and trying to use whatever I currently have in my kitchen. But there are some pretty good juicer recommendations on related posts with reasonable prices
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
CowboyDan said:
4peatssake said:
CowboyDan said:
Not as easy as I thought it would be to blend oranges in a vitamix then extract the pulp. Suggestions?

Use a juicer. ;)

Ha, yea that would be the logical thing to do. I was being lazy and trying to use whatever I currently have in my kitchen. But there are some pretty good juicer recommendations on related posts with reasonable prices

:lol: I know I was being smart. ;)

Seriously though, I have a Blendtec (Vitamix rival!) and use it for smoothies, soups and such but have a juicer that I use for juicing.

There are some good recommendations for juicers on the forum yes, remember to get a centrifugal one!
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
chris said:
How do you deal with seeds when juicing oranges?

I remove the seeds before juicing. I sometimes make a heck of a mess, but I don't really care so long as I get all the seeds out.

I like juicing tangerines and mandarin oranges....no seeds, but can get expensive. :D

I do think some trust their juicer to filter them out - I personally don't take the chance and remove them myself.

I also drink oj not from concentrate.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
12,294
Location
USA
I could not imagine taking out all the seeds. :shock:
 
J

j.

Guest
The juicers usually strain the juice enough to remove the seeds.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
Charlie said:
I could not imagine taking out all the seeds. :shock:

Well I'm not religious about it - but I do fish em out if I can. :lol:

I hate peeling oranges more than squeezing out the seeds! :roll: Like I said, I usually make a mess - kinda like a kid. :P
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
j. said:
The juicers usually strain the juice enough to remove the seeds.

I think what bugs me is that my juicer cuts them up it seems - and I just don't want the poisons from the seeds in my juice. Perhaps I'm being a little rigid though. :roll:
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
12,294
Location
USA
4peatssake said:
I hate peeling oranges more than squeezing out the seeds! :roll: Like I said, I usually make a mess - kinda like a kid. :P

I use a spoon to peel my oranges.

[BBvideo 560,340:115kflx9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4MrmE0JnFc[/BBvideo]
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
Charlie said:
4peatssake said:
I hate peeling oranges more than squeezing out the seeds! :roll: Like I said, I usually make a mess - kinda like a kid. :P

I use a spoon to peel my oranges.

[BBvideo 560,340:2d9g9top]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4MrmE0JnFc[/BBvideo]

Sick! :P

What I found hilarious is him using the online stopwatch! I use that when I take my pulse! :lol:
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
gabriel79 said:
Isn't it easier to use a manual juicer? Don't need to peel, seeds are strained, etc...

I dunno but I've decided I want a citrus juicer now because my very old juicer is too much work. So I tend to do less juicing and drink too much store bought OJ and I want to change that.

Who knows about manual ones? I very much like the idea of no peeling! Even if I could perfect the 8 second spoon technique, just popping a whole orange in or cutting them in half sounds even better.

I found this on ebay - pretty inexpensive compared to elsewhere online.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Citrus-PRESS-Orange-Lemon-Juicer-Metal-Juice-Manual-/160579765075

I also found this 2 for one deal on Amazon which I might consider if I can find someone else who also wants one! Shipping is a bit rich but still a good deal as a single unit sells for $74.95 and was recommended elsewhere on the forum.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00563M16W/?tag=rapefo-20
 

pboy

Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2013
Messages
1,681
I buy pasteurized organic orange juice in the cartons (chilled, pulp free) simply because I can't afford fresh quality oranges atm. When I can, I buy organic OJ in glass (which taste better than the carton) and occasionaly buy fresh valencias. I juice the oranges by slicing them in half, making a bunch of slits, squeezing them by hand into a cup ( the seeds come out too), then pouring the juice from one cup to another through a fill your own tea bag (which captures the pulp and seeds)
 

Mittir

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
2,034
Paper carton lining contains BPA, which is very dangerous to health. Acid in OJ accelerates the leaching of BPA.
Most Citrus juicers are also made of plastics. It seems making it by hand is the safest way.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
Mittir said:
Paper carton lining contains BPA, which is very dangerous to health. Acid in OJ accelerates the leaching of BPA.
Most Citrus juicers are also made of plastics. It seems making it by hand is the safest way.

I think some companies are using other things.

If you take Tropicana at its word, they do not use BPA but rather a LDP liner. I can't vouch for its safety either but I don't think its cut and dried.

Tropicana: “We understand your concern with the plastic lining of cartons of orange juice due to new information about plastic. The liner contained within our fiberboard packages is a Low Density Polyethylene liner. Please be assured that our product packaging does not contain bisphenol A (BPA).”

(This was not a reply directly to an query from me, BTW.)

To be sure, fresh, ripe hand pressed OJ is definitely the safest way.

The two manual citrus presses I linked to earlier are both metal not plastic so some alternatives do exist thankfully.
 

Mittir

Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
2,034
4peatssake said:
The two manual citrus presses I linked to earlier are both metal not plastic so some alternatives do exist thankfully.

Acid can leach metal into juice. Glass is least corrosive of all materials. I think citrus juicer made of glass parts is safe. Wood can be a safe choice too. I have seen online video where they used manual wood compressor to make juice.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
61
Mittir said:
4peatssake said:
The two manual citrus presses I linked to earlier are both metal not plastic so some alternatives do exist thankfully.

Acid can leach metal into juice. Glass is least corrosive of all materials. I think citrus juicer made of glass parts is safe. Wood can be a safe choice too. I have seen online video where they used manual wood compressor to make juice.

Thanks Mittir, I shall continue my search! I'd like a manual press if I can find one - glass would be great if one exists. If I find something that seems to be a good option, I'll report back!
 

Similar threads

Top