Flavonoids In OJ Vs Grapefruit Juice

sara n.

I am having trouble finding a fruit juice to drink. I'd like to have juice because fruit availability, quality fruit anyway, is just about non-existent where I am. Most fruits that are juiced are high histamine. Including orange juice, which I causes me allergy problems. It was suggested to me that adding salt to OJ helps with the histamine, but I found it doesn't help enough.
White grape juice is ok for me, but the brand I like uses grapes from Argentina, said to be full of pesticides (the ones that kill bees, so bad on more than one level). Welch's uses U.S. grapes but tastes like rot to me, completely undrinkable. Those are my choices here. So no grape juice.
Cherry juice is very high histamine, and also high iodine.
Grapefruit juice is histamine safe, but I've just reviewed (again) the posts about grapefruit and grapefruit juice, and it is a bad idea due to (apparently) flavonoids, phytoestrogens, and the effects it has on the cytochrome P450 system.
So to my question: Leaving aside the issue of estrogens and CYP450, doesn't OJ contain the same flavonoids as grapefruit juice? If the flavonoids in OJ are different from those in grapefruit juice, which ones does OJ contain? The only one I know is that OJ does contain quercetin. ???
thanks for info, references, comments
sara n.

OP
S

sara n.

Thanks, I'll check those out.
I doubt pectin is an allergen for me, my problem with OJ, as I think I said is the histamine and the quercetin. I don't get reactions to apples/applesauce, which is why I think pectin is not a direct allergen in the sense of giving me pruritis, formication, and hives. Not to say it doesn't have GI effects which may make me more likely to have skin reactions.

Kray

sara n. said:
Thanks, I'll check those out.
I doubt pectin is an allergen for me, my problem with OJ, as I think I said is the histamine and the quercetin. I don't get reactions to apples/applesauce, which is why I think pectin is not a direct allergen in the sense of giving me pruritis, formication, and hives. Not to say it doesn't have GI effects which may make me more likely to have skin reactions.

Hi Sara,

Just found your post about oj, quercetin. Interesting, I am having such terrible skin issues. Wondered what you have found since posting, what has helped your skin problems? I also think Peat has said something negative about quercetin, hasn't he? I might be confusing with another substance. Can you not tolerate pulp-free oj?

amethyst

Can you use grapefruit juice in place of orange juice? What does Peat say about grapefruit juice? I seem to do better with grapefruit juice and get mad cravings for it. I'd rather eat my oranges and drink my grapefruit juice.

amethyst

He says grapefruit jams up your liver enzymes.
Really? I have to look into that. Wow, I just love grapefruit juice (ruby red). I get cravings for it at times. Don't know why.

Last edited:

amethyst

Thanks for the link, that's great. Hmmm...I wonder why I crave it at times. Maybe I am actually a little low in estrogen since the link says it creates estrogen in the liver.
* I read that grapefruit juice is high in vitamin A.