Best Brand Of Orange Juice?

FredSonoma

Hi all,

A quick search didn't reveal anything. I know I am supposed to buy "not from concentrate" orange juice, but is there a particular brand that is safest?

I've been reading how, even in "not from concentrate" juice, the oxygen is removed, so the juice can be stored long-term, then later on, flavor packs are added. The flavor packs are made from oranges, but chemically altered. No idea if any of this is true.

Will buying organic juice make a difference? Anyone know a brand that is best?

Thanks,
Fred

Demyze

Check out this page: http://www.toxinless.com/orange-juice

I personally have been drinking the Costco brand and its pretty good as far as store juice goes. I think its the best "bang for your buck"

treelady

I like uncle Matt's organic orange juice.

Sea

I don't think that fresh squeezed orange juice, and most store bought orange juices are really the same thing.

I try to get the whole foods fresh squeezed orange juice. With this juice I can drink 1-2 gallons/day and get all of my carbohydrate needs. With most organic orange juices I only want to drink about 1/2 gallon a day and have to turn to other sources for carbohydrates. I have tried virtually every organic orange juice available in USA stores. The only orange juice that I think comes close to the fresh squeezed juice is the Organic Evolution Fresh orange juice, and I think it is still quite inferior to fresh squeezed juice.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Sea said:
I don't think that fresh squeezed orange juice, and most store bought orange juices are really the same thing.

I try to get the whole foods fresh squeezed orange juice. With this juice I can drink 1-2 gallons/day and get all of my carbohydrate needs. With most organic orange juices I only want to drink about 1/2 gallon a day and have to turn to other sources for carbohydrates. I have tried virtually every organic orange juice available in USA stores. The only orange juice that I think comes close to the fresh squeezed juice is the Organic Evolution Fresh orange juice, and I think it is still quite inferior to fresh squeezed juice.

Okay thanks! I'll try the Whole Foods one. I've recently been feeling like absolute ***t after drinking OJ - I'm thinking the problem is either
1. It's too much liquid and I can't handle it yet
2. There's some additives that are bothering me
Because I generally feel fine after eating whole oranges.

Sea

FredSonoma said:
Sea said:

Okay thanks! I'll try the Whole Foods one. I've recently been feeling like absolute s*** after drinking OJ - I'm thinking the problem is either
1. It's too much liquid and I can't handle it yet
2. There's some additives that are bothering me
Because I generally feel fine after eating whole oranges.

When I first started I made the mistake of trying to consume too much liquid. I think that most commercial juices just aren't high enough in sugar for the amount of water they contain. As your metabolism increases this doesn't become as much of a problem, but initially I think it can hurt your progress. To counteract this you can increase the amount of sugar in the juice by adding sugar to it, or what I typically do is make a smoothie with like: some carrots, frozen cherries, orange juice, sugar, collagen and salt. More calories with the same amount of water intake will just give your body more energy to maintain body temperature and evaporate excess water. Antibiotics also allowed me to handle much greater levels of fluid intake. I think that it is common to have some bacteria overgrown in the small intestine and with juice some of the sugars can reach them and cause problems before the metabolism becomes faster. So aiming to kill off some bacteria with aspirin, antibiotics, or herbs may be worth exploring.

tara

I quit quickly after my first attempt at drinking lots of commercial OJ, cause it made me feel bad. I can seldom get really ripe oranges.

Next time round, I found a brand that was a little better, and I now add at least a tsp of baking soda/litre. Without the baking soda it makes me feel bad. With it is usually makes me feel good.

kiran

Organic valley and uncle matts really agree with me. It also really helps to drink it with some (club) soda.

tara said:
Next time round, I found a brand that was a little better, and I now add at least a tsp of baking soda/litre. Without the baking soda it makes me feel bad. With it is usually makes me feel good.

Its unfortunate, I cant really tolerate baking soda with anything at all. Any idea what might be going wrong.

tara

kiran said:
Organic valley and uncle matts really agree with me. It also really helps to drink it with some (club) soda.

tara said:

Its unfortunate, I cant really tolerate baking soda with anything at all. Any idea what might be going wrong.

Good that you have something that agrees with you.

I don't know. But speculation based on RBTI: maybe you are already running on the alkaline side, and don't need to be pushed that way any more by the baking soda? Without the baking soda, OJ may make you a little more acidic, and that may be what you are needing? Testable by a few samples of UpH over time.

marcar72

I like Tropicana the best I guess...

04_20_11_trop3.jpg

DavidGardner

oxidation_is_normal said:
Why not just eat and/or juice oranges (and/or similar fruits)?

I think Peat is wary about the pulp being stressful to the digestive system. You could juice your own and strain out the pulp. I find it hard to feel satisfied by liquids though, so I opt for moderate pulp. Actually I'm considering cutting out the OJ entirely. It just doesn't seem to hold me over in the morning.

DavidGardner said:
oxidation_is_normal said:
Why not just eat and/or juice oranges (and/or similar fruits)?

I think Peat is wary about the pulp being stressful to the digestive system. You could juice your own and strain out the pulp. I find it hard to feel satisfied by liquids though, so I opt for moderate pulp. Actually I'm considering cutting out the OJ entirely. It just doesn't seem to hold me over in the morning.

That's odd... He doesn't seem to mind eating oranges and other similar fruits.

DKayJoe

For any UK based people reading this I've found a lot of success with Coldpress orange juice. It's pretty pricey at £2.79 a litre but I've had no digestive issues with it as opposed to various not from concentrate orange juices which tend to be hit and miss with me.

Luann

If it's ok to resurrect this topic, have you guys heard about flavor packs used in commercial orange juice? Apparently the juice is stripped of its oxygen for storage and then reflavored with the essence and seeds of the orange...not very peaty.
Have been trying to figure out if frozen orange juice also contains flavor packs, but it seems that most frozens don't need to.

sladerunner69

If it's ok to resurrect this topic, have you guys heard about flavor packs used in commercial orange juice? Apparently the juice is stripped of its oxygen for storage and then reflavored with the essence and seeds of the orange...not very peaty.
Have been trying to figure out if frozen orange juice also contains flavor packs, but it seems that most frozens don't need to.
What kind of effects does that have? You know that oxygen isnt very peaty right?

Queequeg

https://www.toxinless.com/orange-juice
as posted above. Dan did some great work listing which OJs use flavor packs and enzymes.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals