Juice From Sour Oranges

L

Lord Cola

I bought a few boxes of oranges recently for squeezing. The same brand and kind as I usually get. These have usually been very sweet, but the last batch I bought turned out to be sour.

I try to squeeze enough oranges once every couple weeks to make juice that would last about two weeks, since this is much less time consuming than squeezing more often. Even if I were careful in picking ripe oranges, I am likely to purchase multiple boxes of sour oranges over time. I would prefer to not have to discard these oranges. I also would prefer to make juice from sour oranges palatable and good for my health, as sweet orange juice is.

I thought about adding some baking soda, and adding some sucrose to the juice. I'm not sure if either would mitigate or eliminate the irritating effects of sour orange juice, since I am not very knowledgeable about chemistry. Are these effective solutions?

What else can I do to salvage juice from sour oranges? Has Dr. Peat talked about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

Lord Cola

Marmalade can be made with sour oranges
That's a good suggestion. What would you do with the juice? Sour oj is very irritating to me, but I want to make it useful.

theLaw

I usually try to turn 1 cup of OJ into about 100G of total sugar by adding 6 Tbsp of sugar. Just add enough water to cover dry sugar and microwave for 1min - then add OJ.

This tends to reduce the acidity and reduce the amount of liquid, which might be an issue for hypothyroid individuals.

I recently purchased several bottles of the same brand of Organic Publix (no pulp) OJ that had 3 distinct tastes (from very sweet to rancid sour) within a week.

I bought a few boxes of oranges recently for squeezing. The same brand and kind as I usually get. These have usually been very sweet, but the last batch I bought turned out to be sour.

I try to squeeze enough oranges once every couple weeks to make juice that would last about two weeks, since this is much less time consuming than squeezing more often. Even if I were careful in picking ripe oranges, I am likely to purchase multiple boxes of sour oranges over time. I would prefer to not have to discard these oranges. I also would prefer to make juice from sour oranges palatable and good for my health, as sweet orange juice is.

I thought about adding some baking soda, and adding some sucrose to the juice. I'm not sure if either would mitigate or eliminate the irritating effects of sour orange juice, since I am not very knowledgeable about chemistry. Are these effective solutions?

What else can I do to salvage juice from sour oranges? Has Dr. Peat talked about this?

Add magnesium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals