How To Get Rid Of A Cold Now

kaybb

I think this is from your metabolism not being so suppressed on a peat diet
So you think having better metabolism causes more colds? I don't want that! I feel like I'm on the brink of another one and just for well:/

firebreather

You know what I'm going to say, right? :)

Tape or chin strap at night.
Might not instantly stop the cold, but it's got a good chance of ameliorating it and hastening recovery.
If you can get past that suffocating feeling for the first minute or two.

@tara how will this work when the nose is so clogged that you can barely get any air through?

Pet Peeve

Yeah, fresh ginger tea if the cold is in a cold climate and peppermint tea if the cold is in a hot climate.

tara

@tara how will this work when the nose is so clogged that you can barely get any air through?
I can't be sure how it would work for you, and I wouldn't have believed it myself a few years ago.
But having read about Buteyko, and that one of the responses to hyperventilation is swelling airways and increased mucous, and about the exercise in unblocking a blocked nose by holding the breath (eg http://www.normalbreathing.com/Articles-unblock-the-nose.php), I figured it was worth a try.

This is how it has worked for me a few times in the last 3 years:
If I tape my mouth at night when my nose is too blocked from a cold to be able to breath through it, I feel like I'm suffocating. It feels horrible.
For about a minute or two. Then my nose gradually clears. Then I fall asleep and wake up a few hour later breathing through my nose and feeling more rested.
Sometimes I can at least partially dissolve and clear the gunk with warm salty water before going to bed, and that makes it easier.
When I use tape, I always leave gaps at the side for emergency mouth breathing if it gets intolerable. Occasionally I have to do that a little, but try to keep it to as little as possible.

OP
encerent

encerent

+1 for good ol' garlic. I felt a cold coming on earlier this week, had a half a bulb of garlic when I got home...Next day I felt like a million bucks! I wouldn't recommend eating it on an empty stomach though.

Garlic worked for me... Unless the cold was already on its way out.

firebreather

I can't be sure how it would work for you, and I wouldn't have believed it myself a few years ago.
But having read about Buteyko, and that one of the responses to hyperventilation is swelling airways and increased mucous, and about the exercise in unblocking a blocked nose by holding the breath (eg http://www.normalbreathing.com/Articles-unblock-the-nose.php), I figured it was worth a try.

If I tape my mouth at night when my nose is too blocked from a cold to be able to breath through it, I feel like I'm suffocating. It feels horrible.
For about a minute or two. Then my nose gradually clears. Then I fall asleep and wake up a few hour later breathing through my nose and feeling more rested.
Sometimes I can at least partially dissolve and clear the gunk with warm salty water before going to bed, and that makes it easier.
When I use tape, I always leave gaps at the side for emergency mouth breathing if it gets intolerable. Occasionally I have to do that a little, but try to keep it to as little as possible.

Thank you Tara, I will give this a try.

My nasal passages are usually swollen but without mucous so I have a hard time nose breathing anytime. But I'm going to try this

kaybb

There's interesting info on the thread, Charcoal and Cold/flu.

kaybb

But having read about Buteyko, and that one of the responses to hyperventilation is swelling airways and increased mucous, and about the exercise in unblocking a blocked nose by holding the breath (eg How to Unblock a Blocked Nose in 1 Min | Stuffy Nose Remedy), I figured it was worth a try.

Good info! Thanks!

Soren

Forum Supporter
Anti-serotonin drugs seem to be able to stop actual viral replication for most viruses including the flu. If the "flu" is viral instead of endotoxin reaction, progesterone, pregnenolone, DHEA, cholesterol, MB, magnesium, vitamin E, theanine, vitamin A, vitamin A, emodin, etc all have been shown to have potent antiviral effects and many of the trials were in humans too. A recent news piece was about progesterone. Google "progesterone protects from flu".

I assume then that substances such as lisuride and metergoline given their anti serotonin activity would also be good for fighting the flu. But would they also be helpful in fighting a cold or flu caused by endotoxin rather than viral?

haidut

Forum Supporter
I assume then that substances such as lisuride and metergoline given their anti serotonin activity would also be good for fighting the flu. But would they also be helpful in fighting a cold or flu caused by endotoxin rather than viral?

In theory yes, but I have not seen any actual studies with lisuride and only a few with metergoline (and metergoline was mostly for Candida). For some reason the studies prefer to use cyproheptadine so that's what I would go with if needed. Metergoline would be a second choice and lisuride third.

marteagal

A recent anecdote: Last Thursday I suddenly developed severe cold symptoms within minutes of time. The problem was that for Friday I "had to be" in perfect health (meeting my best, actually loved-to-death friend that I had been looking forward to for over three weeks), so I urgently had to stop and reverse the cold symptoms by any means. I recognized the symptoms at about 9:00 am, manifesting as intensely running nose and a slightly watering right eye (and, later, also "feeling ill"). I had to blow my nose every 5 to 10 minutes. No coughing or hurting joints/members at least. At first I thought this was an allergy to anything in the office but after going to a different, "cleaner" room there was no relief at all. At about 10:30 am I decided that I needed to change the game. I went home and ingested 10 mg methylene blue at once. I added 15 mg Thorne's K2, 200 mg niacinamide, 500 mg aspirin crystals, 1 or 2 g magnesium chloride. Then I went back to work and took another 5 mg methylene blue at 1:00 pm and again 5 mg at 2:30 pm. I still had a runny nose until about 3:00 pm after which I didn't have to blow my nose any more. Although symptoms had subsided, I took another 10 mg vitamin K2 and additional methylene blue (5 mg at about 6:00 pm and 3,5 mg at about 9:00 pm) just to be safe. Because I had never managed to stop a cold in the beginning in my life before, this situation felt quite unreal and I expected to see the symptoms reappear after taking a night of sleep. To my surprise my nose was clear upon awakening. To ensure that my condition really remained stable during Friday, I took two more doses of methylene blue in the morning and after lunch (5 mg each).

I ascribe the Blitz healing mainly to methylene blue, although I know that the effects are confounded. However, on normal days I take 6 - 8 mg K2 and 500 mg aspirin and also some niacinamide and Mg chloride, so I think, apart from the slightly higher K2 dose, these influences can almost be viewed as constants.

Thanks to @haidut for the idea of taking methylene blue, stating in the methylene blue thread that 20 - 30 mg MB killed his flu symptoms right in the beginning. I had already tried methylene blue last year upon getting a cold/flu, but I failed in preventing it. Back then, I used 3 mg MB every three hours for a total of about 15 mg. This time, I increased the dose. Probably this was decisive.

By the way, with regard to MB giving a blue/green color of urine: I have experimented a lot with MB and when I'm rather healthy, I get a different urine color at a daily dose of about 5-8 mg MB. Last Thursday, I had a total intake of almost 30 mg [each morning I take a basal dose of 1 mg]. Despite this amount, the color of my urine was normal: no blue or green in there. I took that as indicating that my body needed the MB, otherwise the surplus would have peed out. On Friday, the color was still blue. It was only in the evening that I notice a quite intense blueish color. On the next toilet visit the color was normal again.

haidut

Forum Supporter
A recent anecdote: Last Thursday I suddenly developed severe cold symptoms within minutes of time. The problem was that for Friday I "had to be" in perfect health (meeting my best, actually loved-to-death friend that I had been looking forward to for over three weeks), so I urgently had to stop and reverse the cold symptoms by any means. I recognized the symptoms at about 9:00 am, manifesting as intensely running nose and a slightly watering right eye (and, later, also "feeling ill"). I had to blow my nose every 5 to 10 minutes. No coughing or hurting joints/members at least. At first I thought this was an allergy to anything in the office but after going to a different, "cleaner" room there was no relief at all. At about 10:30 am I decided that I needed to change the game. I went home and ingested 10 mg methylene blue at once. I added 15 mg Thorne's K2, 200 mg niacinamide, 500 mg aspirin crystals, 1 or 2 g magnesium chloride. Then I went back to work and took another 5 mg methylene blue at 1:00 pm and again 5 mg at 2:30 pm. I still had a runny nose until about 3:00 pm after which I didn't have to blow my nose any more. Although symptoms had subsided, I took another 10 mg vitamin K2 and additional methylene blue (5 mg at about 6:00 pm and 3,5 mg at about 9:00 pm) just to be safe. Because I had never managed to stop a cold in the beginning in my life before, this situation felt quite unreal and I expected to see the symptoms reappear after taking a night of sleep. To my surprise my nose was clear upon awakening. To ensure that my condition really remained stable during Friday, I took two more doses of methylene blue in the morning and after lunch (5 mg each).

I ascribe the Blitz healing mainly to methylene blue, although I know that the effects are confounded. However, on normal days I take 6 - 8 mg K2 and 500 mg aspirin and also some niacinamide and Mg chloride, so I think, apart from the slightly higher K2 dose, these influences can almost be viewed as constants.

Thanks to @haidut for the idea of taking methylene blue, stating in the methylene blue thread that 20 - 30 mg MB killed his flu symptoms right in the beginning. I had already tried methylene blue last year upon getting a cold/flu, but I failed in preventing it. Back then, I used 3 mg MB every three hours for a total of about 15 mg. This time, I increased the dose. Probably this was decisive.

By the way, with regard to MB giving a blue/green color of urine: I have experimented a lot with MB and when I'm rather healthy, I get a different urine color at a daily dose of about 5-8 mg MB. Last Thursday, I had a total intake of almost 30 mg [each morning I take a basal dose of 1 mg]. Despite this amount, the color of my urine was normal: no blue or green in there. I took that as indicating that my body needed the MB, otherwise the surplus would have peed out. On Friday, the color was still blue. It was only in the evening that I notice a quite intense blueish color. On the next toilet visit the color was normal again.

Glad to hear it worked! Cyproheptadine has also worked wonders for some people. Raising CO2 or gastric acid levels (which depends on and probably influences CO2 levels as well) also seems to work. Some people simply covered their head with the blanket and breathed under it for 5min-10min until they started sweating intensely and feeling need for oxygen. Repeated 2-3 times that night and it seemed to resolve their issues.

Lin

Assuming the cold begins with a sore throat... Life Extention Enhanced Zinc Lozenges. This is the only zinc lozenge Chris Masterjohn recommends, and they work, if you start with them soon enough. They are huge bad **** suckers that take about half an hour to dissolve, and bathe your throat with zinc the whole time. Also, vitamin c is good, and since Peat doesn't like the synthetic, I use a natural c powder that Dan Which, over at Toxinless, recommends. Be sure you are also getting lots of vitamin A, D, E, K2, magnesium and aspirin.
Now, take your handy red light, and shine it on the sore throat, about 7 minutes each side. Then, shine on the neck lymph nodes, about 2 cm below the mastoid tip, 7 min each side.
Sleep with your upper body slightly elevated, so mucus can drain. And have your mouth shut, even if you have to tape it.

TubZy

Anti-serotonin drugs seem to be able to stop actual viral replication for most viruses including the flu. If the "flu" is viral instead of endotoxin reaction, progesterone, pregnenolone, DHEA, cholesterol, MB, magnesium, vitamin E, theanine, vitamin A, vitamin A, emodin, etc all have been shown to have potent antiviral effects and many of the trials were in humans too. A recent news piece was about progesterone. Google "progesterone protects from flu".

Do you think lysine actually works as an anti viral by lowering serotonin compared to just depleting arginine?

The anti serotonin effects of lysine are pretty strong for an amino acid from my experience.

larry h

I don't get the issue with pointing that out. It's just anecdotal data that could be useful to someone
what works is isatis or dyers woad, on a continual basis, to prevent from acquiring the virus, a couple of friends have not had colds in years.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals