How To Differentiate Between SIBO And Serotonin?

A.R

I always thought that I suffered from SIBO, but after learning a bit more about serotonin, I've realised that even a small amount of Thyroid or even a baby aspirin will raise my metabolism over its current limits, causing high serotonin/histamine, where before I used to think it was from SIBO.

Am I right?

I'm having some positive results from anti histamine drugs atm.

DaveFoster

SIBO is small-intestinal bacterial overgrowth; the bacteria produce endotoxin, which triggers an inflammatory response that involves serotonin production from enterochromaffin cells. If you lower serotonin, you're not affecting the microbes (bacteria) that produce the endotoxin, but rather improving your resilience to endotoxin by supporting your immune system and dampening the inflammatory response.

If I cut my finger, taking aspirin will not affect the cut directly, but it will alleviate my pain symptoms and facilitate wound-healing.

Constatine

I find that antibiotics and other such bacteria killing substances typically make SIBO symptoms worse. And this effect persists so I doubt it is die off. As un-Peaty as it is maybe certain natural (not those drinks) probiotics are warranted.

tomisonbottom

I find that antibiotics and other such bacteria killing substances typically make SIBO symptoms worse. And this effect persists so I doubt it is die off. As un-Peaty as it is maybe certain natural (not those drinks) probiotics are warranted.

Interesting. What kind of probiotic have you used? Do you still have sibo? Do you do starch?

Constatine

Interesting. What kind of probiotic have you used? Do you still have sibo? Do you do starch?
I have used typical probiotics you could find at the grocery store. I don't think it is good to take too much of them. I no longer have sibo and I do eat starch on occasion.

tomisonbottom

I have used typical probiotics you could find at the grocery store. I don't think it is good to take too much of them. I no longer have sibo and I do eat starch on occasion.

Oh, that's great, thanks.

Did you avoid antibiotics then? And do you credit the probiotics with helping markedly helping with SIBO, or was it other things too?

Constatine

Oh, that's great, thanks.

Did you avoid antibiotics then? And do you credit the probiotics with helping markedly helping with SIBO, or was it other things too?
Probiotics did definitely help. But it was mostly lifestyle changes that fixed it for me (getting more sun, being more active, getting good sleep, not eating right before bed) for whatever reason.

SOMO

SIBO =

1. Excessive burping, long burps and/or very LOUD burps. (I think this is the most concrete "symptom" of SIBO.)
2. Gas
3. Bloating
4. Food coming back up the esophagus (not necessarily GERD or Acid reflux), but literally food coming back up. I.e. "upchucking".
5. Acid Reflux/GERD
6. Feeling of heaviness in the upper chest and like food takes a long time to "fall" into the lower abdomen.

I remember for a significant portion of my life I was able to BURP louder than anyone. In elementary school, I would always win "burping contests" with my friends.

When I took Rifaximin/Xifaxan the burps stopped. I no longer burp for no reason and when I do burp they are normal quiet burps.

Constatine

There is no way getting more sun and being more active is gonna cure sibo.
Agreed. That post was 3 years ago. I relapsed with my symptoms eventually. Getting more sun exposure and being more active certainly helped though. What ended up working was 2 weeks of Xifaxan followed by a diet very high in coconut oil. Seriously I get probably 1000 calories a day from coconut oil.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals