How Do Followers Of Ray Peat Take Care Of Their Skin?

OP
C

Carina

I think men have an advantage in the skin department because we shave, and shaving is the ultimate way to exfoliate.

My ex gf had what I would consider very minor acne, but I saw the effect skin imperfection can have on a woman. I always thought she was being too hard on herself tbh. She also thought she had PCOS.

How long have you been Peating, meaning, avoiding and limiting PUFA, getting lots of calcium and reducing stress?

From learning on this board, I have to think PCOS or PCOS-like symptoms are estrogen related. Besides vitamin E, do you take any further steps to block PUFA, like aspirin, extra saturated fat (in diet)? Do you know your usual waking temperature and pulse, and do you supplement with any thyroid? Protein intake?

I remember being intrigued to learn that those with acne have different bacteria on their faces than those without acne.
I've been peating for over a year now.

I don't take aspirin at the moment because I overdid it a few months ago, I'm also trying to lose excess bodyfat and I know aspirin can make it harder to lose bodyfat. I guess I can start taking a little bit this time around. I do include extra saturated fat on my diet. I don't take my pulse and waking temperature. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that. I don't supplement thyroid. I eat around 80 grams of protein, but I've been working on eating more.

Aymen

really coconut oil or shea butter are great , i wash my face and hair with coconut oil once a week or every 3 days and it makes my skin looks good and remove some dandruff.

OP
C

Carina

really coconut oil or shea butter are great , i wash my face and hair with coconut oil once a week or every 3 days and it makes my skin looks good and remove some dandruff.
Coconut oil and shea butter breaks me out instantly. I don't even have to be done washing my face with coconut oil to see huge breakouts on my face, even though it does make my face feel well moisturized. How do you wash your hair with coconut oil?

Aymen

Coconut oil and shea butter breaks me out instantly. I don't even have to be done washing my face with coconut oil to see huge breakouts on my face, even though it does make my face feel well moisturized. How do you wash your hair with coconut oil?
yes mostly coconut oil or shea butter , it makes the face/hair looks bright and moisturized ,i leave it 30 min then i wash , i stopped using hairdryer and shampoo for years now.

OP
C

Carina

yes mostly coconut oil or shea butter , it makes the face/hair looks bright and moisturized ,i leave it 30 min then i wash , i stopped using hairdryer and shampoo for years now.
You wash the coconut oil out just with using water and your hands?

OP
C

Carina

Yes , and then i use a towel to dry it .
I don't think I can do that because where I live the water is very hard and alkaline. It even takes a lot of effort and time to remove coconut oil with soap, and I just use a little bit of coconut oil to lightly coat the hair and scalp.

Aymen

I don't think I can do that because where I live the water is very hard and alkaline. It even takes a lot of effort and time to remove coconut oil with soap, and I just use a little bit of coconut oil to lightly coat the hair and scalp.
after 2-3 days of not washing with coconut oil , i notice that the skin's brightness become normal.

L

lollipop

For a pre-made product, this one is great- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B8BQGQ...&pd_rd_r=4469684d-caff-11e8-ba73-1b9f73faa6e7

Only three ingredients, very moisturizing, and the scent is pretty good. Blosssom noticed that Urea smells like urine (which likely gets it scent in part from urea), but this one doesn't have that at all, and has a very high urea content.

Otherwise, I got some USP Urea crystals, and dissolve them in a water/ethanol combo, or simply water, and use that as a spray. Not only is it good for skin, but it's also pro metabolic. That's what I use.
@LifeGivingStore this is a good idea. The inactive ingredients in the urea creams (this one especially) on Amazon are sooooo bad and toxic. This could be a great product done with exceptionally pure inactive ingredients. I would buy it for sure :):

tankasnowgod

@LifeGivingStore this is a good idea. The inactive ingredients in the urea creams (this one especially) on Amazon are sooooo bad and toxic. This could be a great product done with exceptionally pure inactive ingredients. I would buy it for sure :):

Oh! Lisa, you are right! I was doing this remotely, and thought this was a new label to one that I had. Yes, the inactive ingredients are awful. This isn't the one I have. I will edit my post.

EDIT- After looking at my Amazon history, it indicates that it is indeed the same item (with a new label), although the one I have does not list any inactive ingredients, simply urea, aloe, and tea tree oil. The website on the jar I have is no longer working, either. So, it's possible it got taken over by a new company and reformulated, OR it always had those nasty inactive ingredients and simply didn't list them on the label. Well, guess I won't be buying that one again.

Thanks Lisa for the heads up, I completely missed that. Also, good recomendation for Life Giving Store.

Last edited:
L

lollipop

Oh! Lisa, you are right! I was doing this remotely, and thought this was a new label to one that I had. Yes, the inactive ingredients are awful. This isn't the one I have. I will edit my post.

EDIT- After looking at my Amazon history, it indicates that it is indeed the same item (with a new label), although the one I have does not list any inactive ingredients, simply urea, aloe, and tea tree oil. The website on the jar I have is no longer working, either. So, it's possible it got taken over by a new company and reformulated, OR it always had those nasty inactive ingredients and simply didn't list them on the label. Well, guess I won't be buying that one again.

Thanks Lisa for the heads up, I completely missed that. Also, good recomendation for Life Giving Store.
:):

Ulysses

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for dealing with blackheads? This has always been my only real skin problem

Herbie

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for dealing with blackheads? This has always been my only real skin problem

The Travis thread has some information and people use geletine to remove them

A. squamosa

@Ulysses use COSRX BHA - doesn't work for everyone (like the OP), but it's the only thing that's ever worked for me - I just use it once a day at night before I go to bed (after cleansing, then leave it on your skin overnight)

edit: have to use it every night

camagunn

I had horrible acne; the only thing that cleared it up was getting my vitamin d up. Vitamin A and zinc helped sometimes but didn't get to the root cause for me. I also went on a low iron diet but no change.

D

danishispsychic

a good face scrub with epsom salt , vit c serum, olive oil cleansing, retinol at night .

Tenacity

I had horrible acne; the only thing that cleared it up was getting my vitamin d up. Vitamin A and zinc helped sometimes but didn't get to the root cause for me. I also went on a low iron diet but no change.

Vitamin D helped to clear my skin, as did manganese and eggs.

walker_in_aus

I don't have a regime but I use to following in place of most commercial "products"

Face
Bentonite Clay Masks, just clay and spring water. Makes a massive difference!
Honey - on pimples, with a little bandaid over the top
Olive Oil - facewash and makeup remover
Bicarb for exfoliation
Just tried a "co2" mask, where I put a little bicarb solution on the face, and pain a honey, acv and sugar mask on the top. Co2 produced and trapped in honey/sugar, against the skin. Leave it on for a bit.
Niacinamide, aspirin and caffeine in a solution, or in mct oil (for face and body). Is really lovely, but also be aware if you have pufa in you still, it increases lipofuscin. It does makes you skin healthier and prevent sunburn, however.

Body - I just made my own magnesium cream with mag chloride, beeswax, beef tallow (YEP), peppermint oil and coconut oil. Its greasy, but for my crackly shins its amazing.
I used coffee grinds as a scrub on my legs in summer.

But honestly the best thing is thyroid health, digestive health. My cystic acne (chin, forehead, ears and back) has gone since improving my overall health.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals