Mystery Of Yellow Skin Solved

dreamcatcher

So I've been visiting my doctor since 2015 complaining about my yellow skin on my face, specifically around my mouth, chin and along the nose. All I was told that I had carotenemia and should avoid orange, red and green vegetables! LOL!
My skin discoloration was so bad that people used to ask me about it!
I've experimented with various things to improve the appearance of my skin, mainly by improving thyroid function. It turns out that it was caused by dairy products!
About 3 weeks ago I decided to quit dairy and some days later I noticed that my skin is pink!!..the first time after about 11 years!
Since then..I ate a little feta 2 times with no adverse reaction. I wish I could reintroduce dairy at some point but for now I'm being careful and supplement with eggshell powder..

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So I've been visiting my doctor since 2015 complaining about my yellow skin on my face, specifically around my mouth, chin and along the nose. All I was told that I had carotenemia and should avoid orange, red and green vegetables! LOL!
My skin discoloration was so bad that people used to ask me about it!
I've experimented with various things to improve the appearance of my skin, mainly by improving thyroid function. It turns out that it was caused by dairy products!
About 3 weeks ago I decided to quit dairy and some days later I noticed that my skin is pink!!..the first time after about 11 years!
Since then..I ate a little feta 2 times with no adverse reaction. I wish I could reintroduce dairy at some point but for now I'm being careful and supplement with eggshell powder..
That's great @Rosie! I have orange eyelids that look like I'm wearing eyeshadow. It comes and goes in severity and it's been that way for years. I'm staring day 5 of a new dietary experiment which excludes dairy and I'll let you know if it works!

OP
D

dreamcatcher

That's great @Rosie! I have orange eyelids that look like I'm wearing eyeshadow. It comes and goes in severity and it's been that way for years. I'm staring day 5 of a new dietary experiment which excludes dairy and I'll let you know if it works!
Wow! That will be interesting and hope it goes well for you @Blossom!!!
I've emailed Ray Peat about my experience as well..
I suspect it might be my low metabolism/thyroid to not be able to handle dairy..too bad :banghead:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fantastic news!

InChristAlone

The intolerance of dairy supposedly stems from a calcium phosphate deficiency. At least that's what a Witchdr says. Lol. He treats all kinds of conditions with minerals based on signs on their face.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

I've heard about that witch doctor through Facebook! I think he isn't genuine..but thank you!:)
My hair mineral analysis showed elevated calcium levels..but that's another thing, so unreliable. For now I take eggshell powder. Thank you for commenting!

Peatful

19CF8668-B647-4FB3-A594-78701454EB41.png
Hi @Rosie
Is it jaundice-like?
Bad liver function possibly?
Are the whites of your eyes bright white or yellowish as well?

D

danishispsychic

you might want to also check your blood levels for high calcium as that could indicate hyperparathyroidism.

OP
D

dreamcatcher

Thank you everyone for commenting! I might do a private calcium level blood test but as I said, all the yellow skin discoloration is gone since I excluded dairy.
@Peatful my eyes were never yellow, only my skin.

Did the doctor just guess? Calluses should be more yellow than the rest of the skin if it’s carotenemia. I hear vitamin E can boost metabolism of carotene.

nwo2012

Yes, a GPs true purpose in life is to provide us with blood tests. That is it!
And don't even bother with their interpretation, just get a print-out and leave, lol.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, a GPs true purpose in life is to provide us with blood tests. That is it!
And don't even bother with their interpretation, just get a print-out and leave, lol.
I love this!

Sad but true... if the doctor thinks it's nothing serious, he will put 1% effort in a proper diagnosis and treatment.

Jaundice is not from beta-carotene excess.
With hypothyroidism or weak liver impaired conversion of carotene to vitamin A results in deposition of serum carotene in the skin, making it yellow or orange.
Beta-carotene / Provitamin A is needed for the conversion of cholesterol > pregnenolone.
But as dairy has cholesterol in it, yellow patches on face, around the mouth and eyes can also be formed by cholesterol deposits.
- Would you say the yellow skin is coming from fatty patches?
- How high is your cholesterol?

This is very insightful @General Orange
The yellow discoloration was most visible around the lips, chin and along the nose.
I knew about the liver part/hypothyroidism and I focused on improving liver function but with no success.
I've never had a cholesterol check in my life..as far as I remember, sugar/fructose is recommended to correct cholesterol levels?
@Blossom
Liver enzyme CYP11A1 catalyzes the first step of steroidogenesis where cholesterol is converted to pregnenolone.
Defect at the cholesterol side chain–cleavage step or STAR gene mutation can impair steroid hormone synthesis.
Adrenals and to a lower degree skin also convert cholesterol to pregnenolone. So maybe something goes wrong somewhere there.
Excess cholesterol can be inhibited from uptake in the digestive tract by taking a high dose from 2 grams of beta-sitosterol with a meal or even with milk or butter and eggs. The body uses these plant sterols also to make pregnenolone.
To support the adrenals and its steroid hormone production you could profit from licorice root.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is very insightful @General Orange
The yellow discoloration was most visible around the lips, chin and along the nose.
I knew about the liver part/hypothyroidism and I focused on improving liver function but with no success.
I've never had a cholesterol check in my life..as far as I remember, sugar/fructose is recommended to correct cholesterol levels?
@Blossom
Sometimes people get yellow or white filled bumps on their skin which are cholesterol deposits and that is usually associated with elevated blood lipids/cholesterol. What you described doesn't sound like that but I've not seen you IRL.
There are times that people turn orange from eating excessive beta carotene and that is a totally different situation than yellow skin/whites of the eyes from jaundice.
So I agree with what agent orange posted. Mittir mentioned that adequate b12 is also needed to convert beta carotene to vitamin A.

Aaron

I wonder if it could have to do with the vitamin A palmitate found in many dairy products. Some newborns also have a jaundice reaction to breast milk due to the milk proteins interacting with the liver. I have noticed that milk and cheese make my skin look more blotchy but I have chalked that up to the lymph clogging effects. Glad you are solving this puzzle.