How Do Followers Of Ray Peat Take Care Of Their Skin?

Peatful

Why is that?
I would like to know too.
I noted this very thing with niacinamide especially; to a lesser degree with aspirin.
Topically- that was separately mind you- not mixed together.
Thx!

walker_in_aus

There is a whole other thread about it happening to people using topical aspirin and niacinamide, I can't say exactly why, I just know it happened to me as well, and potentially speeding up skin metabolism when you have lots of stored pufa could be a cause.

Mufasa

There is a whole other thread about it happening to people using topical aspirin and niacinamide, I can't say exactly why, I just know it happened to me as well, and potentially speeding up skin metabolism when you have lots of stored pufa could be a cause.

Hm.. I just recommended my girlfriend to put solban on her lipofuscin. Can you send me a link to that thread?

Taotatoes

Just the basics with a lower fat diet, nuts and higher fat foods tend to flare me up more.

1. Dove unscented beauty bar (sometimes use with a more coarse face cloth to derma).

2. St. Ives acne scrub (with SA) has an effective level of dermabrasion to actually get into the pore, but still gentle enough, doesn't dry me out.

3. Cerave Baby lotion day (T-zone issues, works amazing) alternating with Ponds firming day cream on dry days and no name vitamin A night cream. I've been dealing with transition skin since hitting my mid 30's, less is more, I avoid nuts, high fat dairy and meat when flaring, as I noticed a direct correlation to sluggish digestion.

OP
C

Carina

probably can just search yourself but here you go:

Increasing Number Of Lipofuscin On Arms, Legs
I think this happened to me when I used niacinamide on my body, but it was mild and I was about to exfoliate it o
I don't have a regime but I use to following in place of most commercial "products"

Face
Bentonite Clay Masks, just clay and spring water. Makes a massive difference!
Honey - on pimples, with a little bandaid over the top
Olive Oil - facewash and makeup remover
Bicarb for exfoliation
Just tried a "co2" mask, where I put a little bicarb solution on the face, and pain a honey, acv and sugar mask on the top. Co2 produced and trapped in honey/sugar, against the skin. Leave it on for a bit.
Niacinamide, aspirin and caffeine in a solution, or in mct oil (for face and body). Is really lovely, but also be aware if you have pufa in you still, it increases lipofuscin. It does makes you skin healthier and prevent sunburn, however.

Body - I just made my own magnesium cream with mag chloride, beeswax, beef tallow (YEP), peppermint oil and coconut oil. Its greasy, but for my crackly shins its amazing.
I used coffee grinds as a scrub on my legs in summer.

But honestly the best thing is thyroid health, digestive health. My cystic acne (chin, forehead, ears and back) has gone since improving my overall health.

Adding beeswax to coconut oil was a great idea. I think my legs being dry is the reason why my thighs are reacting strangely and will hopefully help with my KP.

Wagner83

So far I'd say glycine and watch what you eat. For example in my case I think ground beef is bad, but then I've noticed systemic negative effects so it isn't a surprise.

Last edited:

baccheion

I'm not a follower, but by applying MSM lotion. Everything else is a supplement (vitamin K2 MK-4, iodine protocol, vitamin D, magnesium, maybe topical pregnenolone + DHEA, etc). Fixing any nutrient deficiencies and adding a multivitamin, D + K, and chelated/TRAACS magnesium supplement usually clears acne.

Carotenoids (astaxanthin, lycopene, lutein, etc), MSM (+ silicon/monomethylsilanetriol + vitamin C; 4g:1g MSM:C), vitamin C + E, and other antioxidants minimize sunburn/damage.

Last edited:

bistecca

I use regular soap in the shower, all natural stuff with saponified oils and some essential oils and stuff.. I use salt water on my face, body and hair, and a coconut oil/baking soda combo for deodorant.

baccheion

I use regular soap in the shower, all natural stuff with saponified oils and some essential oils and stuff.. I use salt water on my face, body and hair, and a coconut oil/baking soda combo for deodorant.
Ah, yes. I forgot to mention Dr. Bronner's Pure-Castile Liquid Soap. I use the peppermint version.

lacto man

Zinc tablets crushed to a powder mixed with a solution of 70% DMSO and 30% distilled water. Apply 2-4 times daily and watch your skin recover.

Lyn

I learned some 30-35 years ago that if I put ANYthing on my face but plain hot water (we have good hard well water), my face would break out. I use an ordinary wash cloth. But no soaps, no creams, no lotions, nothing but water.

OP
C

Carina

Zinc tablets crushed to a powder mixed with a solution of 70% DMSO and 30% distilled water. Apply 2-4 times daily and watch your skin recover.
Hmm sounds interesting. I do have zinc tablets, but I've never heard of DMSO before.

OP
C

Carina

I learned some 30-35 years ago that if I put ANYthing on my face but plain hot water (we have good hard well water), my face would break out. I use an ordinary wash cloth. But no soaps, no creams, no lotions, nothing but water.
Wow. It's like you're forced to do a caveman regimen, but with an added washcloth. I've notice women doing intensive skincare routines complaining about how they're always breaking out and wondering why men who do nothing to their skin never breakout.

Lyn

Wow. It's like you're forced to do a caveman regimen, but with an added washcloth. I've notice women doing intensive skincare routines complaining about how they're always breaking out and wondering why men who do nothing to their skin never breakout.
My skin is not dry at all. Of course, it goes without saying that I use no makeup. My life is very simple. :):

OP
C

Carina

My skin is not dry at all. Of course, it goes without saying that I use no makeup. My life is very simple. :):
Keeping life simple is the way to go about it. Most people complicate things and wastes so much money doing so. I'm just wondering, how exactly did you find out everything, except for water breaks you out?

Lyn

Keeping life simple is the way to go about it. Most people complicate things and wastes so much money doing so. I'm just wondering, how exactly did you find out everything, except for water breaks you out?
I've been wondering, too. It's been a long time ago. I remember there was a time when I discovered that some bath soaps bothered me generally. I also started taking note that I was happier without some fragrances. I guess at some point I just stumbled onto it.

walker_in_aus

What type of zinc?

Haha exactly!!! I started using hot water and a facecloth in my teens and tried to convince all my friends who were doing the ProAcvtive acid face phase and having terrible skin problems!

OP
C

Carina

What type of zinc?

Haha exactly!!! I started using hot water and a facecloth in my teens and tried to convince all my friends who were doing the ProAcvtive acid face phase and having terrible skin problems!
I almost tried proactive in my teens, but it wasn't easily accessible and it was expensive for me. Thank goodness I didn't try it. I know it destroys people's skin and makes you breakout severely when you're not using it. I just kept using foaming face washes, which isn't a great alternative to proactive, but anything is better than proactive. Haha! I did the whole staying indoors at all times, wearing chemical sunscreen, using acids, eating green vegetables, drinking soy milk and staying away from dairy. You know the typical mainstream BS people tell you to do to get clear skin, and I was still breaking out a lot, felt malnourished and weak in the process. I now know that my skin can't handle BHA at all, and AHA does absolutely nothing for me. I'm better off with a washcloth and water. Haha

camagunn

I almost tried proactive in my teens, but it wasn't easily accessible and it was expensive for me. Thank goodness I didn't try it. I know it destroys people's skin and makes you breakout severely when you're not using it. I just kept using foaming face washes, which isn't a great alternative to proactive, but anything is better than proactive. Haha! I did the whole staying indoors at all times, wearing chemical sunscreen, using acids, eating green vegetables, drinking soy milk and staying away from dairy. You know the typical mainstream BS people tell you to do to get clear skin, and I was still breaking out a lot, felt malnourished and weak in the process. I now know that my skin can't handle BHA at all, and AHA does absolutely nothing for me. I'm better off with a washcloth and water. Haha

I feel like they don't want people to have normal skin when they suggest to not allow bad skin in the sun. Thus leaving the person often in a worsening condition -- it's sick really.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals