Best Solution For Porey/pore Prominent Skin?

I have skin with a tendency to have visible pores. Nothing extreme, but enough to see in a photo with good lighting up close -- or in the bathroom mirror from ~6-12 inches away. I have tried lots of products like face exfoliants, scrubs, masks, and even a toner -- but none really do much about it. It does look better after a thorough buff/clean/etc. though, but doesn't affect their size.

It's not that bothersome, but I do wonder if there's something I'm unaware of that could make my skin look more clear/smooth regarding the porey look. The pores populate most noticeably around my nose and just to the sides of it (like near the cheeks). Sadly this blends together with those little black marks on my nose that can be seen up close too and do not go away (forgot what they're called -- like little hairs+dirt or something???).

I've heard that pore size is apparently a big thing of genes, which is why some peoples' are almost invisible up close. I don't know if diet/supplementation would make a difference as I don't supplement with anything that would potentially affect skin much. I know of some stuff I haven't tried:

1.Retinol/retinoids

2.Continuous microneedling/glycolic/TCA/etc. peels

3.Light therapy(ies) for the skin

4.Vitamin C/Vitamin E on skin

5.Possible supplements or other things I'm not aware of on diet/skin care.

6.Punch excision (this might be an overkill though)

There are probably other things I'm unsure of. It isn't exactly an ugly look or anything, but it does get annoying seeing those little tiny holes there that won't shrink to make my skin look really smooth. :arghh:

LUH 3417

I’m using a ghk-copper peptide someone else recommended on the forum. I don’t have large pores but I feel like it’s making my skin look younger and more taunt so maybe it’s shrinking the pores I do have.

Peater

Topical progest-E and P5P cleared this up for me. I have to split the capsules of P5P I bought as they are huge dose, I just take a pinch of the powder on a teaspoon. (The P5P isn't topical, of course)

OP
MetabolicTrash
Topical progest-E and P5P cleared this up for me. I have to split the capsules of P5P I bought as they are huge dose, I just take a pinch of the powder on a teaspoon. (The P5P isn't topical, of course)

You mean something like this (referring to progest-E): Dr. Peat's Progest E Oil Complex, 34 ml

Or do you mean actual progesterone as in like HRT/Rx use? Those are absorbed by the skin (I read) and can affect hormones, which makes me think of risks/side-effects.

I'm not too expert-ish on this stuff, so I have room to learn more on my understanding of HRTs/bioidentical stuff/natural-derived hormones/etc.

@pinacolada Something like this? GHK Copper Peptide | GHK-Cu | Tripeptide-1

Looks promising. I've never even heard of such a thing until now. Too bad it's kind of pricey at nearly $50, so I won't be able to give it a try anytime soon. But I did notice some cheaper ones, so maybe I could find something sooner. I've also wanted to try Vit. C/E topically, but they're a pain to get right/actually usable with all benefits.

Last edited:

LUH 3417

You mean something like this (referring to progest-E): Dr. Peat's Progest E Oil Complex, 34 ml

Or do you mean actual progesterone as in like HRT/Rx use? Those are absorbed by the skin (I read) and can affect hormones, which makes me think of risks/side-effects.

I'm not too expert-ish on this stuff, so I have room to learn more on my understanding of HRTs/bioidentical stuff/natural-derived hormones/etc.

@pinacolada Something like this? GHK Copper Peptide | GHK-Cu | Tripeptide-1

Looks promising. I've never even heard of such a thing until now. Too bad it's kind of pricey at nearly $50, so I won't be able to give it a try anytime soon. But I did notice some cheaper ones, so maybe I could find something sooner. I've also wanted to try Vit. C/E topically, but they're a pain to get right/actually usable with all benefits.
I think you can get cheaper ones on Amazon. Also from what I understand you only need a tiny bit. I put a drop in my face cream once a day. It seems as though the thin skin under my eyes is thickening and getting smoother/lighter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TRAU2HK/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=ANFB1OHTNQ4MY&psc=1

golder

Anyone know any effective topicals to help close large pores on my cheeks/face? Thanks!

Anyone know any effective topicals to help close large pores on my cheeks/face? Thanks!
You can't "close"or "open"pores. this is one of those skincare myths that still gets around even today. Your pore size is genetic and related to hormones so there probably is some truth that certain amino acids and prohormones might address it, but considering nobody really looks at skincare from this perspective, i don't know of any protocol or road map to steer you in the right direction.

What you can do is reduce the appearance of them visually by using BHA's e.g salicylic acid which dissolve the trapped sebum and oils making them appear enlarged, but it is a temporary measure.

Retinoids aka Tretinoin, Tazarotene and laser therapy are the only things i know for certain will shrink pore size effectively

golder

You can't "close"or "open"pores. this is one of those skincare myths that still gets around even today. Your pore size is genetic and related to hormones so there probably is some truth that certain amino acids and prohormones might address it, but considering nobody really looks at skincare from this perspective, i don't know of any protocol or road map to steer you in the right direction.

What you can do is reduce the appearance of them visually by using BHA's e.g salicylic acid which dissolve the trapped sebum and oils making them appear enlarged, but it is a temporary measure.

Retinoids aka Tretinoin, Tazarotene and laser therapy are the only things i know for certain will shrink pore size effectively
Great answer, thanks.
Coincidentally i actually just bought BHA Paulas choice to put on before my clay mask.
Just used it and the the nose blackheads looks a lot better. Although, after about 10 hours I’ve noticed them slowly coming back again.
Thanks for pointing out the skincare pore size misnomer, I’m a bit of a newbie here.
So given that the BHA works well at cleaning it, do you think it would be worthwhile using a topical vitamin A (retinyl palmitate or retinyl acetate?) after the BHA/clay treatment to hopefully keep the pores as small as possible. If that doesn’t work then potentially go for the laser treatment after that? What’s the name/details of the specific laser treatment so I can start having a read up :)
Really appreciate your insight!

sunny

I think pufa depletion over time may have worked for me. The skin is an elimination organ.

Great answer, thanks.
Coincidentally i actually just bought BHA Paulas choice to put on before my clay mask.
Just used it and the the nose blackheads looks a lot better. Although, after about 10 hours I’ve noticed them slowly coming back again.
Thanks for pointing out the skincare pore size misnomer, I’m a bit of a newbie here.
So given that the BHA works well at cleaning it, do you think it would be worthwhile using a topical vitamin A (retinyl palmitate or retinyl acetate?) after the BHA/clay treatment to hopefully keep the pores as small as possible. If that doesn’t work then potentially go for the laser treatment after that? What’s the name/details of the specific laser treatment so I can start having a read up :)
Really appreciate your insight!
I don't think retinyl acetate would be strong enough. You need an active vitamin A solution that isn't available OTC like Tretinoin. It's not difficult to get a hold of in the UK if you manage to see a dermatologist though and i am sure you can probably buy a generic one from an overseas pharmacy

The best thing to combine the BHA with is an oil based cleanser if you want to accomplish what i mentioned.

No idea of the specific name of the laser treatment. when it was offered to me as an option by a dermatologist it was just referred to as a laser treatment

If you do end up on a topical retinoid though you are going to have to put the Peat perspective to one side for the duration of its use in relation to sunlight. Sunscreen is absolutely essential and sunlight is not your friend in this specific case(it's not your friend in general where skin is concerned IME). The damage you can cause from using retinoids without sunscreen is very difficult to reverse

Some OTC things you can try though to create more collagen and cell turnover in your skin which MAY reduce the appearance of pores on a more permanent scale though are:

Centella Asiatica Extract aka Gotu Kola

Vitamin C serums at concentrations above 15% combined with Ferulic Acid

Bakuchiol

Amino acids like Glycine, Glycylglicine, Histidine, Lycine, Arginine, and Glutamine

Glycylglycine and Arginine are probably the ones you want to focus on in relation to pores though. Not sure if there is any benefit to these topically, but you could try supplementing them and see if you gain any benefit, or upping your intake of them via dietary means