Honey sore throat, allergy reaction?

leeteeh

Anyone ever get a slightly sore scratchy throat sensation from eating honey?
I love honey but if I eat it when it on top of yogurt, with cheese or on the side of a food it seems to gives me a scratchy tickling soreness for a good hour or two after. This doesn’t happen if the honey is mixed into something well like milk/choc milk, smoothie, ice cream, tea or anything cooked. Only happens if it’s still in its natural state sort on over or along side the food. I’m assuming it’s the honey itself hitting the throat and reacting in some way but unsure why. I’m guessing it’s not an allergy as I get no other symptoms, if there a test I can check for a honey allergy? the more I have the worse it is for example 50 grams on some yogurt would be pretty uncomfortable for a couple of hours compared to a straight teaspoon might be irritating for 10 mins and pass.

supercoolguy

Honey absorbs moisture, that's why it keeps for years. Microbes cant function. Combined that with other proprieties And whatever the bees have been dining on, could equal a little irritation. Esp the darker blends.

Oh Yes, I used to get throat irritation, until i found honey that worked better for me.

Last edited:
OP
L

leeteeh

Honey absorbs moisture, that's why it keeps for years. Microbes cant function. Combined that with other proprieties And whatever the bees have been dining on, could equal a little irritation. Esp the darker blends.

Oh Yes, I used to get throat irritation, until i found honey that worked better for me.
interesting.
I've tried multiple honeys doesn't matter if its a raw wild forest honey or a blend of many honeys from other countries dark or light clear I have the same result. strange.

HeyThere

interesting.
I've tried multiple honeys doesn't matter if its a raw wild forest honey or a blend of many honeys from other countries dark or light clear I have the same result. strange.

Have you checked if the sides of your throat are visually red?

liam183

It happens to me if I swallow it straight up sometimes, but clears up after drinking a little bit of liquid. Think it just gets stuck on the throat sometimes

OP
L

leeteeh

Have you checked if the sides of your throat are visually red?
I haven’t checked during the irritation after consuming honey if that’s what you mean simply because it feels lower than just the back of the throat but I will do next time

OP
L

leeteeh

It happens to me if I swallow it straight up sometimes, but clears up after drinking a little bit of liquid. Think it just gets stuck on the throat sometimes
I tried this with water and milk and it doesn’t seem to help it’s like the honey caused some irritation or reaction and it takes a couple of hours to settle.

Anyone ever get a slightly sore scratchy throat sensation from eating honey?
I love honey but if I eat it when it on top of yogurt, with cheese or on the side of a food it seems to gives me a scratchy tickling soreness for a good hour or two after. This doesn’t happen if the honey is mixed into something well like milk/choc milk, smoothie, ice cream, tea or anything cooked. Only happens if it’s still in its natural state sort on over or along side the food. I’m assuming it’s the honey itself hitting the throat and reacting in some way but unsure why. I’m guessing it’s not an allergy as I get no other symptoms, if there a test I can check for a honey allergy? the more I have the worse it is for example 50 grams on some yogurt would be pretty uncomfortable for a couple of hours compared to a straight teaspoon might be irritating for 10 mins and pass.
It sounds like an allergy to honey to me. When I had an arm rash, from chemicals in my new sofa, certain foods would flair it up, like chicken, pork, brown rice, corn and fluoride. This told me I have an allergy to these things, to whatever degree. Now that the chemicals in my arm have dissipated I don’t have any “obvious” symptoms when I eat those foods, but that does not mean there are not things going on inside me when I do partake. The rash was a build-up for me of eating those foods and having my histamine “bucket” spill over into bigger, more disastrous symptoms. I get that sore throat feeling eating certain brands of Manuka honey, but I don’t get it with any other honeys, which indicates I may have a slight allergy to the eucalyptus family, where the bees get their pollen from to make that honey. Have you tried other different types of honey?

1705683243304.jpeg

Inabruzzo

Forum Supporter
I get an allergic reaction to a local maple syrup, and cream. Not at all with some other brands. Try a taste test lineup and measure results?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals