Liver Giving Me Sore Throats?

PTP

I've noticed that the last three times out of four that I've eaten liver or pate I've had a sore throat the next day. The first time it was pretty bad, the other times were not as severe but still irritating sore throats. I have some theories on this:

There may be some physiological reason why liver gives me sore throats. Perhaps I've been eating liver from sick animals or poorly fed ones, and am paying the price. Possibly the pufa content is doing some damage, the pate was from pig liver which I imagine is pretty high in pufa.

There may be a psychological cause - I have started associating liver with sore throats on some level, and so now that's how my body responds, even though there's no physiological reason for it to happen. I would almost class this as an allergic reaction.

Un-caused correlation - I am eating liver, and getting sore throats at the same time/next day, but the two events are not related. The fact that one out of the four last times I ate liver I was fine would support this view. But I'm not sure if I was 100% fine, there may still have been slight soreness, I don't remember exactly.

Those are my theories, but I am only really interested if anyone thinks there is a reasonable physiological explanation for this? I have stopped eating liver for the time being, though I never ate much anyway.

tara

I've never experienced this myself.
Is it your own pate or do you know the other ingredients? Could you be allergic to something else in it?

If it were me, I'd probably leave it out for a week or two and then try a different kind of liver in case that's the issue. And not eat too much at once.

Mountain

Yeah I've had this happen from straight cooked lamb liver. It definitely feels like a histamine reaction, to me at least. My guess is that when butchered, the liver is not given the same care as
the more desirable cuts of meat. This may mean that they're left sitting around for longer than you'd want. It may also mean that when the animal is butchered, being so close to the intestinal
tract, some of the endotoxin rich gut juices probably mingle with it. Maybe try sourcing some liver that you can be sure is fresh, wash it properly and eat it straight to remove the chance of any
conflicting factors.

tara

Maybe try sourcing some liver that you can be sure is fresh, wash it properly and eat it straight to remove the chance of any
conflicting factors.
+1
Old liver is horrible.

Ewelina

Yeah I've had this happen from straight cooked lamb liver. It definitely feels like a histamine reaction, to me at least. My guess is that when butchered, the liver is not given the same care as
the more desirable cuts of meat. This may mean that they're left sitting around for longer than you'd want. It may also mean that when the animal is butchered, being so close to the intestinal
tract, some of the endotoxin rich gut juices probably mingle with it. Maybe try sourcing some liver that you can be sure is fresh, wash it properly and eat it straight to remove the chance of any
conflicting factors.

I definitely agree. I've noticed a sore throat after eating beef (could be thrush if there are small painful bumps on it). As I live in the UK it is impossible to get fresh beef. All is "aged" or rather I would call it putrid. I went even directly to organic farmers and they told me that it's impossible to sell me fresh beef as it always hangs for approximately 3 weeks. So now I don't eat beef, period.

OP
P

PTP

Thanks for your comments guys.

The pate was not mine and likely had some added toxins, the liver I got from butcher's shops and cooked myself with onions and butter (never had problems with onions), one in Argentina and one in the UK. I have no idea how to get fresh liver, I live nowhere near any farms. I think for the time being I'll stick to getting my vitamin A and K from milk, eggs, well cooked broccoli and spinach, and estroban. I was thinking maybe calf liver would be safer in the future, since it's taken from a much younger animal it's likely to be healthier, but I won't feel like I'm missing out avoiding this particular organ. I enjoy it in small amounts, but it's a long way from my favourite meat.

chispas

I have noticed this too - it is a very strange thing.

I have started really enjoying liverwurst with cheese and pickles. I inferred that the rich vitamin A content was maybe too strong. For me, the way to escape from the sore throat is to use a trifecta of aspirin + B1 + antihistamine. I take two tables of each, and the sore throat 'sensation' leaves rapidly. It's generally gone on the same day. I have started to use this combination as an 'anti-common-cold' remedy, and it has not failed me yet. I've used it three or four times. My girlfriend has also used it twice now, and she also reports that it seems to halt the progress of the sore throat sensation, returning everything to normal.

However, I do wonder if the sore throats aren't authentic. Maybe they aren't really the beginnings of strep throat, but they are just an immune response from too much retinol in the foods we are eating. There is also a strange phenomenon where I eat a large amount of retinol-containing foods (aka liver), and then have something later on with carotenes in it and it makes me feel very sick. So I maximise the retinol, and limit the carotene, and I get no worries, which I believe is the recommended approach of Dr Peat.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals