Transdermal Testosterone Advice

ATP

I have been using transdermal testosterone (I'm a male) for low testosterone.

This is the second time around using transdermal testosterone because the first time was not a very good experience. I decided to stop but my doctor insisted I try it again and this time I am experiencing the same thing again.

Before using testosterone, I was experiencing extreme fatigue, lack of motivation, low libido, all the basic symptoms of low T. Unfortunately after taking the T and it actually bringing my T levels up to where I wanted them to be which was confirmed by blood work, none of those symptoms went away or improved at all. I actually had unexpected side effects such as

- massively decreased sleep quality and some nights only sleeping a few hours. I've never had trouble sleeping before.
- erectile dysfunction
-constantly getting flu like symptoms, sore throats, sneezing, body aches, etc.
-Headaches

When I stop the testosterone, these side effects subside and my testosterone drops backs down significantly. According to my blood work the dheas, dht, cortisol, estrogen levels are unchanged during the treatment

So not only did it not improve my fatigue at all it seems to significantly weaken my immune system.

Does anyone have an opinion on why this happens?

Dr. Peat says that blodwork does not actually reveal the true estradiol levels that are in the tissues. I would suggest trying to apply a tiny amount on your scrotum. That might avoid aromatization. Also if there are excipients that are giving your body problems, small amount may not trigger the problems.

In his latest newsletter, Dr. Peat mentioned that testosterone suppresses the immune system. So men are more likely to die of infectious disease than women. For this reason.

I asked him about testosterone, this is what he told me:

it’s important to have adequate pregnenolone, DHEA, and progesterone along with the testosterone.

stumpus

This is one of the reasons I gave up transdermal TRT. I convert way too much to estrogen when done topically. It throws the absolute value and ratio of total/free test to estrogen totally out of whack for me.

OP
ATP

ATP

Dr. Peat says that blodwork does not actually reveal the true estradiol levels that are in the tissues. I would suggest trying to apply a tiny amount on your scrotum. That might avoid aromatization. Also if there are excipients that are giving your body problems, small amount may not trigger the problems.

In his latest newsletter, Dr. Peat mentioned that testosterone suppresses the immune system. So men are more likely to die of infectious disease than women. For this reason.
That's what I was thinking as well, the bloodwork was not showing the conversation to estrogen. That is really interesting about how testosterone can suppress the immune system. Did ray say how that happens in the newsletter?
Did you try to apply the T on the scrotum? How much do you apply?
No I haven't because my doctor says it is not a good place for it because he says that area for application causes a high conversion to DHT, plus I checked with the pharmacy as well and they said not to do it there. What is the reason why you think the scrotum is a good place for the cream?
It's a ten percent solution and I apply one gram daily.

That's what I was thinking as well, the bloodwork was not showing the conversation to estrogen. That is really interesting about how testosterone can suppress the immune system. Did ray say how that happens in the newsletter?

No I haven't because my doctor says it is not a good place for it because he says that area for application causes a high conversion to DHT, plus I checked with the pharmacy as well and they said not to do it there. What is the reason why you think the scrotum is a good place for the cream?

Scrotal allows far less with good effect.

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/artic...ivery-of-Testosterone?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Substitution therapy of hypogonadal men with transdermal testosterone over one year

Wagner83

Precisely for the dht lol!

T

tca300

Your symptoms are classic hypothyroid symptoms. Taking a single hormone is not likely the answer.

dookie

@jayegray

IMO, testosterone is never appropriate therapy for any illness. It's a mainstream, over-marketed, "anti-aging" therapy for rich men who can afford those type of doctors. I've only heard of problems from it. Increasing your sugar intake can increase your testosterone. I felt much worse with a testosterone level of 500 than with a level of 250; goes to show that those measurements are meaningless.

OP
ATP

ATP

Your symptoms are classic hypothyroid symptoms. Taking a single hormone is not likely the answer.
I do agree with that statement but the problem is I've tried everything that I can think of including thyroid hormone t3, NDT and t4/t3 synthetic. With the NDT and synthetic t4/t3 it made me feel much worse but with the t3 only I didn’t notice any difference. I tried many different dosages from small to large from single to multiple times through out the day, 1mg every hour. My bloodwork was all good except for high reverse t3.

TubZy

Using TRT without using HCG (which I don't personally recommend anyways) is going to turn off LH hence lowering the anti aging steroids (preg, DHEA, prog etc.) unless exogenously administered.

T

tca300

@jayegray In regards to high reverse T3

" The basic cause seems to be high cortisol and adrenalin, probably other stress hormones. Keeping vitamin D in the normal range, avoiding unsaturated fats, and having some sugar such as orange juice frequently can help. " ~ Ray Peat

Pointless

I do agree with that statement but the problem is I've tried everything that I can think of including thyroid hormone t3, NDT and t4/t3 synthetic. With the NDT and synthetic t4/t3 it made me feel much worse but with the t3 only I didn’t notice any difference. I tried many different dosages from small to large from single to multiple times through out the day, 1mg every hour. My bloodwork was all good except for high reverse t3.

What are your temps and pulse? Whats your tsh? I take 75 mcg of T3 twice per day, against Peats recommendations because that's the only thing that helps me. If you have high rT3, you might need a higher dose. But if your temps and pulse are good, and lowering stress hormones like it was suggested above don't work, you might look into liver health or another strategy to help you.

OP
ATP

ATP

What are your temps and pulse? Whats your tsh? I take 75 mcg of T3 twice per day, against Peats recommendations because that's the only thing that helps me. If you have high rT3, you might need a higher dose. But if your temps and pulse are good, and lowering stress hormones like it was suggested above don't work, you might look into liver health or another strategy to help you.
My resting temps and pulse are always low. Recently they've been averaging around 60-65bpm and 36-36.5 C. I find when I take NDT, t4/t3 synthetic it makes them go lower. I think that would be from the extra t4 converting to Rt3. I've never taken that much T3 before, the most I have taken in a day is around 75mcg and at that dose it tends to lower my temp as well. My TSH was .7 last time is was tested.

Last edited:

Pointless

My resting temps and pulse are always low. Recently they've been averaging around 60-65bpm and 36-36.5 C. I find when I take NDT, t4/t3 synthetic It makes them go lower. I think that would be from the extra t4 converting to Rt3. I've never taken that much T3 before, the most I have taken in a day is around 75mcg and at that dose it tends to lower my temp as well. My TSH was .7 last time is was tested.

Caffeine and aspirin can help in situations like that. I would avoid all aromatizable steroids until your temps are good. You can get estrogen problems even if your serum estradiol doesn't increase ime.

OP
ATP

ATP

Caffeine and aspirin can help in situations like that. I would avoid all aromatizable steroids until your temps are good. You can get estrogen problems even if your serum estradiol doesn't increase ime.
Yes I think you're right that, the testosterone is more than likely converting because I'm hypothyroid. I have been taking aspirin but whenever I have coffee it greatly increases my anxiety and paranoia, so I have to avoid it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals