Stomach soreness and mouth sores from sugar?

j_davis

Hi everyone,

I'm about 3 months into my peat campaign and lots of great progress bar one problem. My new favourite thing is coffee with loads of sugar however this is catching up with me. I'm noticing that in the mornings when I have nothing in my stomach or any time when my stomach has very little food in it, I'm getting awful soreness pains, as soon as I eat something they subside- I don't know the reason for this. As well as this I've got some terrible sores in my mouth and I'm pretty sure both issues are down to the high amount of sugar I'm having, usually with my 2 daily coffees.

It's really affecting my sleep and at the moment I'm only getting 4ish hours a night which is terrible.

Has anyone else experienced sores in their mouth or stomach soreness from too much sugar?

Aspekt

It's probably the coffee, not the sugar. Years back when I was drinking bulletproof coffee like a pleb (no sweetener) I'd get stomach pain unless I had it with food, even a few bites of lettuce would instantly lower it. Try having your coffee after a meal.

EDIT: I might have read that wrong, is there pain before the coffee in the morning?

mt_dreams

Anytime you change your diet, expect your body to do some strange things.

Sugar and acid have a negative effect on the mouth. Try swishing water mixed with baking soda after taking in sugar or acid, and see if that alleviates the mouth sores.

Even if you were putting a couple of tablespoons of sugar in your coffee mix, you're only having 2 of them, so it should be fine. If you are having trouble sleeping, only drink caffeine in the first 4-6 hours after waking, or switch to a decaf for later day brews.

The pains in your stomach are a sign that your metabolism has increased, this is a good thing. This takes place when you start burning more sugar carbs. Try eating something before bed to see if this stops morning hunger, and keep a snack near if it happens during the day. For several months when my metabolism first shot up I kept a glass of lemonade made with honey & salt next to my bed and drank if first thing in the morning. Dr. Peat recommends keeping a tbl of honey with some salt next to your bed in the event these hunger pangs are waking you in the middle of the night.

These hunger pangs are most likely releasing cortisol (and possibly adrenaline among other things), so you want to squash these from ever happening by keeping yourself well fed, and making sure to take in fat when you know you will go a long period without eating.

jyb

There's one experiment you could do for a few days to determine the cause. For several days each, try: coffee with sugar, or coffee with dairy cream only, or your diet without any coffee.

tara

If it's hunger pangs you've got a simple solution.
If it's coffee on an empty stomach, you could try only drinking coffee when you've got food in your stomach. Or made with milk. Or no coffee for a week, if you don't get withdrawal symptoms, to see if it gets better without it.
If it's sore whenever your stomach is empty, including when no coffee, then there could be other things going on, hopefully not ulcers. If it's ulcers, drs often prescribe things that can be counter productive. I can't remember what the Peaty suggestions for ulcers are, but you could searchthe forum.
RInsing mouth with water after sweet drinks is probably good. You could try salt rinse to see if it helps sores. Or some times baking soda rinse can help.

If you want more thoughts, you could let us know a bit more about what you have been doing, and what other problem you are trying (it sounds like with some promise) to solve, if you want to.

honeybee

When I first started drinking coffee along time ago in my teens it would hurt my stomach. I always had to load it up with creamer or take with food (peat recommends the latter.
Mouth sores- are you referring to canker sores? I believe these are a result of bvitamin deficiency possibly b12. I take a bcomplex 25 daily but had neglected consistent dosing over the holidays. Last week I started getting canker sores so I took two doses of b12 (am and pm) and then back on the daily complex 25. Improvement overnight. Gone within 48 hours. For the pain I used a bit of progest e.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
IIRC, mouth sores can be from vitamin A deficiency also.