Activated Charcoal Made Me Sick...

FrostedShores

I've heard great things about activated charcoal on this forum, so I decided to try some for the first time last night. Felt fine at first, but come bedtime, I couldn't sleep, my legs and back became very sore and agitated - inflammation? - and I felt quite anxious. Today, my mood has evened out, but I still feel sore. I've done detoxes in the past where things got worse before they got better; is this the same with activated charcoal? Am I just experiencing detox symptoms? Should I stick with it or back off for a while? Any input is appreciated.

EvanHinkle

I've heard great things about activated charcoal on this forum, so I decided to try some for the first time last night. Felt fine at first, but come bedtime, I couldn't sleep, my legs and back became very sore and agitated - inflammation? - and I felt quite anxious. Today, my mood has evened out, but I still feel sore. I've done detoxes in the past where things got worse before they got better; is this the same with activated charcoal? Am I just experiencing detox symptoms? Should I stick with it or back off for a while? Any input is appreciated.
Interesting. I’ve used it extensively and never experienced such issues. I know product quality can be an issue as charcoal is a known adsorber, (can take up junk you don’t want during processing or improper storage).

Another thing can be dose. I have often done better with more than less personally. For instance, when I first started with charcoal I would use a few capsules or maybe 2 tsp. That would tend to just irritate things. Eventually after much more research I used a lot more, (for example in emergency rooms 50-100 grams is not uncommon). I never used quite that much, but when I was really struggling with endotoxin symptoms, 2-4 tablespoons could knock anything out and give me a sense of bliss.

OP
F

FrostedShores

Interesting. I’ve used it extensively and never experienced such issues. I know product quality can be an issue as charcoal is a known adsorber, (can take up junk you don’t want during processing or improper storage).

Another thing can be dose. I have often done better with more than less personally. For instance, when I first started with charcoal I would use a few capsules or maybe 2 tsp. That would tend to just irritate things. Eventually after much more research I used a lot more, (for example in emergency rooms 50-100 grams is not uncommon). I never used quite that much, but when I was really struggling with endotoxin symptoms, 2-4 tablespoons could knock anything out and give me a sense of bliss.
Ah, maybe that's it. I only took 1 tsp. I'll give a larger dose a shot and see how it goes. Thanks for your help!

yerrag

How can more make you feel less?

I should ask first if you are using a good kind of AC.

I got the coarse kind that was recently discontinued by Health Natura.

I only use 1 tsp. And usually 1 tsp is just what I needed. It fixes diarrhea that I would expect resulting from taking antibiotics (pharma or otherwise) or biofilm busters. This makes the gut stew either filled with new bacteria or endotoxins that the gut walls won't allow water from the gut to be reabsorbed into blood.

AC adsorbs these particles so that the gut stew becomes clean enough to be absorbed by the gut walls.

But if your AC is poor quality it could get persorbed and this will be a source of irritation.

However, I don't know why Health Natura discontinued its product. I'm glad that I still have enough left for those times I'm in a pinch.

But why were you even needing to take AC for no reason at all?

OP
F

FrostedShores

How can more make you feel less?

I should ask first if you are using a good kind of AC.

I got the coarse kind that was recently discontinued by Health Natura.

I only use 1 tsp. And usually 1 tsp is just what I needed. It fixes diarrhea that I would expect resulting from taking antibiotics (pharma or otherwise) or biofilm busters. This makes the gut stew either filled with new bacteria or endotoxins that the gut walls won't allow water from the gut to be reabsorbed into blood.

AC adsorbs these particles so that the gut stew becomes clean enough to be absorbed by the gut walls.

But if your AC is poor quality it could get persorbed and this will be a source of irritation.

However, I don't know why Health Natura discontinued its product. I'm glad that I still have enough left for those times I'm in a pinch.

But why were you even needing to take AC for no reason at all?
Thanks! The brand I used was VivaDoria. Not sure of the quality, though. It's very fine, though; not coarse at all.

As far as taking more, I've used zeolite in the past, and taking a larger dose versus a smaller dose definitely makes a difference. Not sure if AC is anything like zeolite - I would assume so; they seem to function the same way in terms of absorbing things.

yerrag

Thanks! The brand I used was VivaDoria. Not sure of the quality, though. It's very fine, though; not coarse at all.

As far as taking more, I've used zeolite in the past, and taking a larger dose versus a smaller dose definitely makes a difference. Not sure if AC is anything like zeolite - I would assume so; they seem to function the same way in terms of absorbing things.
I still find it odd you will feel bad from not taking enough. Usually when not taking enough you don't feel bad.

I would recommend my AC if it were still available. So you could at the very least compare between the brand you use and one I've used with good results.

Others may chime in and recommend a brand they have used well.

HeyThere

MAYBE just dehydration as AC really sucks up water big time. Dehydration causes all sorts of emotional and physical garbage.

TheCalciumCad

AC soaks up toxic bile in the intestines which is great IF your bowel frequency is good (say at least 2x a day everyday) otherwise you're just going to soak it all up in the intestines for it to stay there causing discomfort. With good bowel frequency eating oats everyday keeps my digestion perfect without the need for the carrot salad which I think is close to useless or AC.

OP
F

FrostedShores

AC soaks up toxic bile in the intestines which is great IF your bowel frequency is good (say at least 2x a day everyday) otherwise you're just going to soak it all up in the intestines for it to stay there causing discomfort. With good bowel frequency eating oats everyday keeps my digestion perfect without the need for the carrot salad which I think is close to useless or AC.
Interesting. I have at least 2 BM's a day, but before discovering Peat, I was keto, which I heard can screw with bile function. I stopped the carrot salad a while back, as I didn't find it that useful. When you say oats, do you mean oat bran? I've been incorporating oatmeal into my diet, but I just recently acquired oat bran.

TheCalciumCad

Interesting. I have at least 2 BM's a day, but before discovering Peat, I was keto, which I heard can screw with bile function. I stopped the carrot salad a while back, as I didn't find it that useful. When you say oats, do you mean oat bran? I've been incorporating oatmeal into my diet, but I just recently acquired oat bran.

Ye just normal porridge oats.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals