histamine at 3 different times

ilovethesea

Peata, are you sure it's not food allergy-related? I had a runny nose for over a year after finding Ray Peat and was sure it was environmental. Turns out I am super sensitive to a long list of foods - all starches, all commercial juices, honey, even starch in pills (Erfa and aspirin). Have you tried an elimination diet?

I would also recommend cyproheptadine for both anti allergy and anti serotonin effects. If you take it around dinnertime I find the morning grogginess is not a problem. I also take liquid benadryl sometimes during the day when I've made the mistake of eating something that gives allergy symptoms. I don't get sleepiness from that anymore either.

Do you take thyroid?

OP
Peata

Peata

managing said:
Peata: I realize most people want to avoid pharmaceuticals, but I am going to suggest tianeptine again. You definitely have underlying issues that need to be dealt with. But I tianeptine will give you instant relief from asthma as well as panic/anxiety (probably) while you address it. I found that after taking it for a few weeks regularly, it upregulated my serotonin reuptake significantly (I presume) and I only take it once or twice a week now per symptoms.

Fuad Lechin has worked with it extensively for asthma, here for example: http://www.lechin.com/asthma.htm

Serotonin begets histamine. Antihistamines try to prevent histamines from finding their receptors (yeah, I know, but I don't have a language for RPs way of explaining). But tianeptine rapidly cycles serotonin through your system so that excessive histamine never forms.

Do your own research on RPs page and the fora, but I just can't find side effects. You don't feel drugged like with antihistamines. Really the only "side effect" i've found is a good attitude.

And it is available legally w/o a prescription.

I'm interested in this.

OP
Peata

Peata

ilovethesea said:
Peata, are you sure it's not food allergy-related? I had a runny nose for over a year after finding Ray Peat and was sure it was environmental. Turns out I am super sensitive to a long list of foods - all starches, all commercial juices, honey, even starch in pills (Erfa and aspirin). Have you tried an elimination diet?

I would also recommend cyproheptadine for both anti allergy and anti serotonin effects. If you take it around dinnertime I find the morning grogginess is not a problem. I also take liquid benadryl sometimes during the day when I've made the mistake of eating something that gives allergy symptoms. I don't get sleepiness from that anymore either.

Do you take thyroid?

Hi, thanks for writing. I'm "pretty sure" it's not food allergy. I've been tested in the past with nothing showing up other than things like pet dander, dust mites, mold, certain plant pollen... I had this histamine problem happen a decade ago too, long before I knew about Peat. I take Benadryl sometimes. I do take raw thyroid, which I assume has had some effect for me. I am looking into tianeptine now but will keep the cypro suggestion on hand too. Thanks.

InChristAlone

I'm sorry you are going through this, I have gotten a panic attack from practicing reduced breathing (while also experiencing a drop in blood sugar!), it was one of the worst I ever had, called my husband home from work and everything because I was so scared. I have since learned to always keep my blood sugar up! I haven't had one like that since, just small ones. I experienced one of those exercise induced attacks though, not fun! I have found adrenaline to cause the feeling of shortness of breath.

nikotrope

Peata said:
ilovethesea said:

Do you take thyroid?

Hi, thanks for writing. I'm "pretty sure" it's not food allergy. I've been tested in the past with nothing showing up other than things like pet dander, dust mites, mold, certain plant pollen... I had this histamine problem happen a decade ago too, long before I knew about Peat. I take Benadryl sometimes. I do take raw thyroid, which I assume has had some effect for me. I am looking into tianeptine now but will keep the cypro suggestion on hand too. Thanks.

I also have a runny nose. And have got it since a teenager. A peat diet didn't change anything. A few teaspoons of salt a day fix the issue. And recently I tried to drink only half and half for a day (without the teaspoons of salt) and my nose got very clear at the end of the day and for the first time during the night (contrary to the salt). I don't know which food causes me problems but it might be food after all.

histamine is related to estrogen in addition to serotonin. And I am pretty sure ammonia and nitric oxide are involved in these symptoms (because they reduce CO2 and gut health). Reducing histamine is not the only factor to reduce respiration problems.

ilovethesea

nikotrope said:
I also have a runny nose. And have got it since a teenager. A peat diet didn't change anything. A few teaspoons of salt a day fix the issue. And recently I tried to drink only half and half for a day (without the teaspoons of salt) and my nose got very clear at the end of the day and for the first time during the night (contrary to the salt). I don't know which food causes me problems but it might be food after all.

histamine is related to estrogen in addition to serotonin. And I am pretty sure ammonia and nitric oxide are involved in these symptoms (because they reduce CO2 and gut health). Reducing histamine is not the only factor to reduce respiration problems.

I agree, I read there is a serotonin/estrogen connection as well. Cypro is anti serotonin... so is tianeptine which I am going to try next. Someone on this forum posted they cured their allergies from tianeptine...

How are you taking the salt?

Do you mean drinking half and half cream instead of regular milk helped you?

I discovered I can't have egg whites so that would be another food to check. Also gelatin, any starches, honey, any commercial juices, some supplements, aspirin.

nikotrope

ilovethesea said:
nikotrope said:

I agree, I read there is a serotonin/estrogen connection as well. Cypro is anti serotonin... so is tianeptine which I am going to try next. Someone on this forum posted they cured their allergies from tianeptine...

How are you taking the salt?

Do you mean drinking half and half cream instead of regular milk helped you?

I discovered I can't have egg whites so that would be another food to check. Also gelatin, any starches, honey, any commercial juices, some supplements, aspirin.

I am taking a few grams of salt of few times a day with some water.

I mean I only had one food during one day: half and half. I drink that instead of milk to get something more calorie dense without adding anything else, even sugar.

I have the same food intolerances: honey, gelatin, juices. Raisins seem to cause me problems, yogurt at times, and ripe fruits are nearly impossible to find. Meat/Fish is probably ok but no more than 3-4oz at a time. Small quantities of starch is ok gut wise, but not energy wise.

So the only quality food I can have is milk and cream.

ilovethesea

Interesting, I'll have to try the salt thing. I am sure I don't get enough, not having starches or eggs to put it on. I gagged when I tried to have saltwater in the past. I wonder if it would still work if I put the salt into an empty gelatin capsule??

Do you tolerate egg yolks? You could make the creamy custard recipe on FunctionalPS website. It's very good!

I basically live off of Greek yogurt, homemade orange juice, frozen mango, white sugar, skim milk, coffee, coconut oil, canned oysters, grapes, shrimp, whitefish, carrot.

Have you tried cascara? Or charcoal? I noticed my tongue is more pink when I take the charcoal the night before, and seems to be correlated with clearer nose.

nikotrope

Most of the time I take 1g in a spoon, put a little water in my mouth, put the salt in my mouth and drink more water to get everything down. It's easier with juice. And I repeat the process a few times to get 3-4g of salt. I do the same thing 3-4 times a day. It improves things immediately for me but only last a few hours that's why my nose is stuffed when I wake up.

I have no problems with eggs so I make custards sometimes.

Tried cascara and charcoal, didn't notice any improvement. Same thing with carrot salad. They slow my digestion more than they help me.

tara

ilovethesea said:
Interesting, I'll have to try the salt thing. I am sure I don't get enough, not having starches or eggs to put it on. I gagged when I tried to have salt water in the past.
I was running low on salt when I first started switching from high starch to high sugar, until I learned to salt any eggs and meat I eat really heavily. For a while I was salting my OJ, now I just put baking soda in it, which gets me some sodium but no chlorine. I still often add a little salt to coffee. I also salt in cheesecake or anything sweet I might bake.

ilovethesea

I found something on the Facebook group that is relevant to our histamine discussion (and very encouraging)!

This is from Zachariah.

Zachariah Salazar said:
ALL histamine 'problems' are hormonal problems. Thats the problem of the allergy people, its all single factor. You want to look at everything that influences histamine, histaminase, inflammation, swelling, stress they all affect the reactions. People also are not told that the adrenaline/cortisol rushes they get from whatever stressful situation they are in PROTECT then from excess histamine. When you heal and reduce adrenaline/cortisol people often get more histamine reactions so they think or are told that they have a new problem. Its still the same old problem and healing comes in stages. If no one tells you the stages (cuz how would you know?) then its easy to be lulled into all kinds of weird tests and titles (you have this now, oh no!)

Its not really a theory Its just what you see when you start to read enough physiology and digestion and hormone stuff. You start saying to yourself "How can so and so say that when histamine is affected by this and this and that, that its not a single factor?" The you start saying it out loud. Then you see hundreds of people that have there exotic histamine problems disappear when other things go right for them in their life. I had terrible allergies as a kid, hundreds of painful shots in my back and arms. My mom did a lot of investigation and finally met an old school doc (whom if my recollection is correct was about 80, smoked, and still made house calls). At the time the doc recommended more animal fats, butter, to stay away from veggie oils, to drink whole milk not skim,eat more eggs, to eat ice cream if I couldnt handle milk yet (I was told I had a milk allergy), lots of salt, eat more shellfish, have some brewers yeast etc exactly the opposite of what my allergy docs said. I mysteriously got better I imagine a lot of the same advice would work now a days on a child if its was the 70s again and the quality and availability of animal fats was better than they are now.

I had thought I was developing all these new food sensitivities/allergy symptoms on the Ray Peat diet, and that things were getting worse... but from this perspective maybe the problems were always there, just covered up by my high cortisol/adrenaline ( I know for sure I had high cortisol from testing, and I used to get what I thought were "seasonal" allergies).

So the fact that cortisol and adrenaline are coming down is really promising, and maybe these reactions won't be permanent and someday my tolerance will improve!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ilovethesea, thank you for posting that. :hattip

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals