Severe Akathisia/RLS At Night, HELP!

Ben

Severe Akathisia/RLS, HELP!

The last time I got sick, I got very uncomfortable sensations and a powerful impulse to move my arms and legs.

This time, it's back again! I wonder if this horrible symptom will appear every time I get sick. I have to walk around constantly and march in place or kick my legs around constantly, but most interestingly, it only happens at night and in the morning. It generally doesn't happen during the day. This is common with RLS, but why? RP says the night and morning is a poison, but why? I have been inside all day and night due to my sickness because it's cold and I get a runny nose easily, also I'm very weak.

So important questions:

I had RLS my whole life. Unlike other kids, I could not stand still. Is this the source of my RLS/Akathisia?

Will I get it every time I get sick?

What should I tell the doctor. Which medication would you Peaters recommend?

How about supplements? Would vitamin K work by reducing calcium in the bloodstream, and therefore excitation of nerves?

Is cyproheptadine likely to work well for it? What should be targeted (serotonin, histamine, etc?)

4peatssake

I can't personally offer any specific advice but found this from Peat.
Ray Peat said:
In Parkinson’s disease, the benefits seen from increasing the concentration of dopamine could result from dopamine’s antagonism to serotonin; anti-serotonin drugs can alleviate the symptoms, and 5-hydroxytryptophan can worsen the symptoms (Chase, et al., 1976). Other movement disorders, including akathisia and chorea, can be produced by serotonin. In autism, repetitive motions are a common symptom, and serotonin is high in the blood serum and platelets of autistic children and their relatives. Irritable bowel syndrome, another kind of “movement disorder,” can be treated effectively with anti-serotonin agents. This syndrome is very common in women, with premenstrual exacerbations, when estrogen is highest. One of the side effects of oral contraceptives is chorea, uncontrollable dancing movements. Some research has found increased serotonin in people with Huntington’s chorea (Kish, et al., 1987), and positive results with bromocriptine have been reported (Agnoli, et al., 1977).

The neurosteroid, allopregnanolone, for which progesterone is the precursor, facilitates the inhibitory action of GABA, which is known to be deficient in some disorders of mood and movement. This suggests that progesterone will be therapeutic in the movement disorders, as it is in various mood problems. Progesterone has some specific antiserotonin actions (e.g., Wu, et al., 2000).
Source

He seems to be indicate that anti-serotonin drugs could help, possibly progesterone.

Ray Peat said:
Restless leg syndrome is another night-time reaction to bacterial overgrowth..
Source

mujuro

B6 supposedly helps. The Chaste berry has naturally occurring dopaminergic terpenes, which will also lower prolactin. It works well in women to oppose prolactin but whether this translates directly to males, I don't know.

I briefly used progesterone to see if it could help control my moods, but while it works in isolation, it seemed to just add to the cortisol pool at the first hint of stress (I caught on to this when I took some just before my workout). I had to first use psychotropic meds to turn off the hyperactive HPA axis. Now I really feel the relaxation.

Haven't experienced any more akathisia but I surely will during the next dosage increase. I'll let you know how the progesterone goes as far as symptom management.

natedawggh

Are you on thyroid at all? The primary causative factor in basically all degenerative conditions (as opposed to communicable) is the lack of thyroid, either on on a local or systemic basis. Thyroid supplementation would help restore cellular energy and calm excitation.

Taking Magnesium Chloride would also help. It is the most easily absorbed form of Magnesium and Magnesium can be a surrogate for thyroid. Better than epsom salts because Mag Chloride stays in your system longer and is more easily absorbed. Mag Chloride originates from sea water, and also provides additional Chloride.

YES, I would highly recommend K2, because it does so much more than just help regulate calcium (though that's important). Don't take one with silica, as that is allergenic—I took one with silica at first and it caused a flare up of eczema. A good K2 has since cleared up lower back pain and increased my temps and testosterone. Doing other things to increase cellular energy will calm the nerve impulses.

I also found the medicine Mucinex to be somewhat helpful (Guaifenesin). Do not take the Mucinex with other ingredients like cough suppressant, just the one with Guaifenesin, which is a calcium blocker and muscle relaxer. It works in Peat friendly ways. It also helps break up biofilm. I don't think its a long term solution, however, and It should NOT be used in combination with alcohol.

Progesterone is a powerful aid in restoring cellular energy and calming excitation, but it can reduce muscle tone (not bulk, however). If you are in desperate need of help, I definitely recommend it, as the testosterone can be restored once use is done and the condition fixed, as I did with raising my temps and metabolism. It just makes you feel good. As the post above this one mentions, however, Progesterone at first can make you more sensitive to Cortisol, as it has the protective effects of cortisol but without the degenerative qualities.

General B vitamins will also probably help you get your cells energized, I am always an advocate of B1 because it can help increase energy as much as Niacinamide does.

If I had to bet on what this is caused by, I would say it specifically sounds like itexcess cortisol. Cortisol as you probably know rises sharply at night, reaching peak levels in the early morning (so do other stress hormones, but Cortisol is the first and easiest to trigger, and has a cascading effect). Do you have any other signs of high cortisol such as thin skin/stretch marks/weight gain? This would be compounded by any other exacerbating factors like bacterial endotoxin, which to both you'd be susceptible if you had one or the other.

I tried to combat cortisol directly last year but found it pretty much difficult to do that (I had slight symptoms of RLS) Nothing that directly antagonizes cortisol, like sugar, caffeine, aspirin, etc. can bring it down if there is another underlying problem. I found those other strategies listed above indirectly fixed my elevated cortisol problems.

mujuro

nate, I'm glad I'm not alone on the "cortisol" sensation. May I ask, how high did you have to go with the progesterone dosage before you knew you were overcoming your issues/getting a net positive response? The muscle degeneration/anti-masculine effects have me worried.

tomisonbottom

Ben said:
Severe Akathisia/RLS, HELP!

The last time I got sick, I got very uncomfortable sensations and a powerful impulse to move my arms and legs.

This time, it's back again! I wonder if this horrible symptom will appear every time I get sick. I have to walk around constantly and march in place or kick my legs around constantly, but most interestingly, it only happens at night and in the morning. It generally doesn't happen during the day. This is common with RLS, but why? RP says the night and morning is a poison, but why? I have been inside all day and night due to my sickness because it's cold and I get a runny nose easily, also I'm very weak.

So important questions:

I had RLS my whole life. Unlike other kids, I could not stand still. Is this the source of my RLS/Akathisia?

Will I get it every time I get sick?

What should I tell the doctor. Which medication would you Peaters recommend?

How about supplements? Would vitamin K work by reducing calcium in the bloodstream, and therefore excitation of nerves?

Is cyproheptadine likely to work well for it? What should be targeted (serotonin, histamine, etc?)

Were you able to find a solution for this?

Do NOT take cyproheptadine... or you will know hell...

answersfound

jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:
Do NOT take cyproheptadine... or you will know hell...

Or heaven. It depends on the person :lol:

Cypro gave me hell. I was on a 53 day NoFap streak and I relapsed while on it because I felt like my head was going to explode. Amitriptyline on the other hand has been a godsend.

Dude you will break your bed with those cyproheptadine leg spasms... not recommended with IKEA beds.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals