Help, Old Dog, Collapsing Trachea

johnsmith

16 year old bichon shih tzu. X-ray showed her trachea is very much so collapsed. The cause of this is unknown. Might be due to inflammation, tumor or sist. Her breathing improved once I took her off dog food and started feeding her home cooked meals. Now it's bad again. Any advice? Thanks.

Edit: I guess it's vet time. I'll take her there tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
J

johnsmith

Im pretty sure she has congestive heart failure (she's panting a lot), and is having seizures (she's been wetting the bed, as she cries and convulses). She probably doesn't have much time left to live.

My question is, should I give her a small amount of progesterone or something, anything? PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting such things online.

Last edited:
OP
J

johnsmith

I just took her for a long walk. It was surprising how much that seemed to help her. Not that I don't walk her every day, but lately her walks haven't been as long because of all the ice on the sidewalks.

Goldenboi

Panting is a sign of stress so may not be linked to heart failure.

Not sure if you are aware but seizures in an older dog usually means a brain tumour and as a result can lose control of functions such as urination.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I don't know anything about dogs with a collapsing trachea but I have worked with numerous humans in this situation and it's not pretty. What is done for humans is typically a tracheostomy tube and sometimes surgical reconstruction if the person is a candidate. I'm not sure if that is done for dogs or even should be if it is... especially an older dog but I suppose you could ask a vet about it? When the trachea is collapsed it can lead to suffocation and death if it is extreme enough. I personally wouldn't want my own dog to have to suffer that way. Sorry you and your dog are going through this.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just read more and it sounds like my chihuahua might have a mild case of it too. Please keep us updated on how things work out for your dog!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just took her for a long walk. It was surprising how much that seemed to help her. Not that I don't walk her every day, but lately her walks haven't been as long because of all the ice on the sidewalks.
The air pressure from heavier breathing may have been helpful for keeping her airway open during the walk.
I'm also wondering if we should be giving dogs prone to this disease extra collagen/gelatin from a young age to try to strengthen the tracheal rings?

OP
J

johnsmith

Panting is a sign of stress so may not be linked to heart failure.

Not sure if you are aware but seizures in an older dog usually means a brain tumour and as a result can lose control of functions such as urination.
Thanks, that along with what Blossom said, might explain why the long walk helped her. I just read panting might also be a sign of pain. I have been looking up information about brain tumours in dogs and it definitely looks like she has many of the symptoms. Thanks again for the clue! (I have noticed a slight pattern and suspect dairy may trigger these seizure like symptoms.)
I don't know anything about dogs with a collapsing trachea but I have worked with numerous humans in this situation and it's not pretty. What is done for humans is typically a tracheostomy tube and sometimes surgical reconstruction if the person is a candidate. I'm not sure if that is done for dogs or even should be if it is... especially an older dog but I suppose you could ask a vet about it? When the trachea is collapsed it can lead to suffocation and death if it is extreme enough. I personally wouldn't want my own dog to have to suffer that way. Sorry you and your dog are going through this.
Tracheostomy tubes can be used on dogs, but are normally just used on younger dogs, due to surgical risks and expenses. Im starting to think her collapsing trachea is just one of her numerous other health problems. I think collapsing trecheas may also be common among chihuahuas. With my dog, at such a late stage, I really seem notice the effect of inflammatory foods on her breathing. I have been sprinkling a bit of collagen over her food for 6 months now, but sometimes I think about Chris Masterjohn warning about how it may cause kidney stones in humans.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think collapsing trecheas may also be common among chihuahuas.
Yes, he has breathing episodes that indicate he has this problem. I hope everything works out for the best for you both. I just went through the passing of my geriatric boxer and I'm just thankful she had a good long life and didn't have extended suffering.

OP
J

johnsmith

Yes, he has breathing episodes that indicate he has this problem. I hope everything works out for the best for you both. I just went through the passing of my geriatric boxer and I'm just thankful she had a good long life and didn't have extended suffering.
Thanks. Sorry about your boxer, but it sounds like she lived well. In my experience, boxers are some of the nicest dogs I've met. This dog's passing will be a first for me. She's has her ups and downs, and I just hope she can last until summer comes, in the hope that nice weather might help her out. There is still snow and ice everywhere up here in Saskatchewan.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks. Sorry about your boxer, but it sounds like she lived well. In my experience, boxers are some of the nicest dogs I've met. This dog's passing will be a first for me. She's has her ups and downs, and I just hope she can last until summer comes, in the hope that nice weather might help her out. There is still snow and ice everywhere up here in Saskatchewan.
Thanks.
I hope your girl can make it to summer with a good quality of life. It's a hard call to determine when dogs are suffering too much because they can't tell us with words. In hindsight (years ago) I selfishly let my Rottweiler suffer for too long because it was so hard to let him go. I always hate having to make that decision.

Goldenboi

My dog had laryngeal paralysis from surgery. He had a homeopathic remedy Causticum. It helps with weakness in muscles to the point of paralysis in either voluntary or involuntary muscles. It really helped him recover.

You may like to read about CV247 which is treatment for tumours in animals containing salicylic acid (aspirin) along with Manganese Gluconate and Copper Gluconate.

I hope your girl recovers and everything works out.

OP
J

johnsmith

@Goldenboi Thanks, I have a feeling CV247 would be hard to get a hold of. Im glad you got your dog threw that difficult sounding situation.

My dog has been hardly eating anything. Is there some sort of trick to get your dog to start eating? I think she has two days left before we have to put her down if she keeps this up. I plan to make some bone broth right away and replace her water with it, because she is still drinking water.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I was able to get Bella to drink broth and lick coconut oil from my hand when she wouldn't eat anything else for a few days after surgery.

OP
J

johnsmith

I was able to get Bella to drink broth and lick coconut oil from my hand when she wouldn't eat anything else for a few days after surgery.

Thanks, I'm about to run to the store and get some bone material to do this. This dog isn't a big fan of coconut oil.

burtlancast

If you have magnesium chloride try giving him; it's a tonic for any animal and does sometimes miraculous things.

Another tonic is lugol: try 10 drops a day.

OP
J

johnsmith

If you have magnesium chloride try giving him; it's a tonic for any animal and does sometimes miraculous things.

Another tonic is lugol: try 10 drops a day.

I gave her belly three sprays of magnesium chloride, and within an hour she was walking around and eating again. I got her to eat some chicken and rice pudding. It was definitely miraculous. Thank you!!! I even saw her give a few massive tail wags at one point.

I was giving her 12mg of T4 a day for two days but stopped because I thought it might be counter productive if she isn't eating much. Maybe I should try giving her some Lugol's Iodine instead?

And thanks @Blossom, I even got her to lick up a bit of oxtail broth that was floating on top of her water dish. It didn't mix in with her water too well, it just floats on top. This was the first time I made the stuff. Ox tail is actually pretty tasty.

michael94

I gave her belly three sprays of magnesium chloride, and within an hour she was walking around and eating again. I got her to eat some chicken and rice pudding. It was definitely miraculous. Thank you!!! I even saw her give a few massive tail wags at one point.

I was giving her 12mg of T4 a day for two days but stopped because I thought it might be counter productive if she isn't eating much. Maybe I should try giving her some Lugol's Iodine instead?

And thanks @Blossom, I even got her to lick up a bit of oxtail broth that was floating on top of her water dish. It didn't mix in with her water too well, it just floats on top. This was the first time I made the stuff. Ox tail is actually pretty tasty.
wow

burtlancast

Great.
I actually meant using empty gelatin capsules filled with magnesium chloride and gently pushed in the back of her open mouth, head tilted to the vertical.
That's always the problem giving animals magnesium chloride which is very bitter.

Also, definitely go for the Lugol instead of the T4.

Last edited:
OP
J

johnsmith

Her tail is still wagging off and on 5 hours after the topical Magnesium Chloride and she just licked my hand which she hasn't done for probably three weeks. Now she's eating ox tail. The Magnesium was easy to spray onto her belly because she had it shaved so that the vet could drain fluids out of her belly 4 days ago. After $700 dollars in tests the vet still couldn't give a definite answer as to whats wrong with her. But the vet found cysts in one kidney and believes cancer is a possibility there or elsewhere, but the tests came back inconclusive.

To make things more complicated, this dog was diagnosed with Addison's disease 6 years ago, and has been on Prednisone and Percorten-shots ever since. Prednisone supposedly has some nasty side effects. I probably would have tried to get her off Prednisone years ago but I have been out of town quite a bit. My dad has been taking care of this dog. Whenever my dad would try and ween her off the Prednisone she would stop eating.

@michael94 I have "gently" been giving her very small amounts of Cascara Sagrada every now and then over these past few months. Thanks for that suggestion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals