Help For An Alcoholic Near-vegetarian

Here are some things to try, many mentioned in this thread:
B vitamin complex with emphasis on niacinamide (b3) and b1
exercise
increased nutrition in general (eating, sugar) - is there a pattern to when you get the cravings (I'm guessing at night)?
Dark Chocolate (I've seen it help in myself and others).

jyb

oxidation_is_normal said:
Such_Saturation said:
jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:
lookingforanswers said:
alcohol reduces serotonin for the short-term and that is why people become addicted.

How does it do that?
...even in small amounts they can be clearly felt in the brain, in a good way I'd say, sort of a light pressure at the front of the brain but they all feel slightly different.

Dear god, you're a genius !! :shock:

There are no sensory nerves there. How are you feeling pressure in your brain?

It is very obvious. Of course there might not be actual pressure, but it feels like pressure to me - light and overall pleasant. I actually assume this is what everyone experiences when they say they have a "buzz". Or rather, what precedes a buzz.

Couldn't that be explained in terms of vasodilation/constriction? All these things have such effect in either way, so it would not surprise me if the brain or forehead could sense this.

natedawggh

Hello, all!

I believe that I have at least a rudimentary understanding of the Raymond Peat Diet, thanks to this forum. I am interested in the diet as a means to eradicate my alcoholism, or at least significantly moderate it. About 10 years ago, I became interested in the LOVE(Lacto-Ovo, Vegetarian, Energy) Diet of Dr. Hugh McCann's organicMD website. As an alcoholic, I noticed that my alcohol cravings were reduced on the morning after a day of following a vegetarian diet. I still drank alcohol (beer), but it was a lesser amount, hence my interest in the RP Diet. I enjoy milk, and I can easily drink a quart a day - I also enjoy cheese. The orange juice is a possible problem - I would prefer oranges, and cantelope, and cherries , and peaches, and grapes. This diet seems very do-able. I also like potatoes, zucchini/yellow squash, broccoli and Italian kale. I am a pre-diabetic, so I am concerned about fruits, let alone fruit juices. I suspect that RP recommends oranges as an antidote for the cysteine/methionine,tryptophan content of meat and poultry, as well as for its potassium content. I only eat animal flesh every 10 days, so I don't see a great need for fruit except on those three days every month. Speaking of tryptophan, I noticed that 2 quarts of milk contained 8 mgs. of it - twice the RDA for my bodyweight of 75 kgs. I could easily cut the milk calories in half by simply replacing it with 40 g. of grass-fed whey concentrate (from Defense Nutrition), or Just Protein( from Ironmind ), a milk/egg protein powder.

It seems that I might need progesterone/predgelone as a supplement for my alcohol cravings. I know from experience that glutamine is not helpful in my case.

thankfully,

Robert
Hi Robert,

I discovered Ray peat a little over a year before I finally got completely sober. I implemented a lot of his nutritional insights and while I benefited from them, none of them fully cured my alcoholism. I am of the belief that a complete understanding if the endocrine system (and related therapies) could one day cure alcoholics but that day has not yet come. I found my sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, because there are certain ways the mind of an alcoholic works that cannot be addressed with any current nutritional therapies. However, once I embarked on the recovery program outlined by AA, my recovery was swifter and imesurably easier from the nutritional support I got from learning Dr. Peats philosophies, compared to most others I observed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals