Help For An Alcoholic Near-vegetarian

Hello, all!

I believe that I have at least a rudimentary understanding of the Raymond Peat Diet, thanks to this forum. I am interested in the diet as a means to eradicate my alcoholism, or at least significantly moderate it. About 10 years ago, I became interested in the LOVE(Lacto-Ovo, Vegetarian, Energy) Diet of Dr. Hugh McCann's organicMD website. As an alcoholic, I noticed that my alcohol cravings were reduced on the morning after a day of following a vegetarian diet. I still drank alcohol (beer), but it was a lesser amount, hence my interest in the RP Diet. I enjoy milk, and I can easily drink a quart a day - I also enjoy cheese. The orange juice is a possible problem - I would prefer oranges, and cantelope, and cherries , and peaches, and grapes. This diet seems very do-able. I also like potatoes, zucchini/yellow squash, broccoli and Italian kale. I am a pre-diabetic, so I am concerned about fruits, let alone fruit juices. I suspect that RP recommends oranges as an antidote for the cysteine/methionine,tryptophan content of meat and poultry, as well as for its potassium content. I only eat animal flesh every 10 days, so I don't see a great need for fruit except on those three days every month. Speaking of tryptophan, I noticed that 2 quarts of milk contained 8 mgs. of it - twice the RDA for my bodyweight of 75 kgs. I could easily cut the milk calories in half by simply replacing it with 40 g. of grass-fed whey concentrate (from Defense Nutrition), or Just Protein( from Ironmind ), a milk/egg protein powder.

It seems that I might need progesterone/predgelone as a supplement for my alcohol cravings. I know from experience that glutamine is not helpful in my case.

thankfully,

Robert

burtlancast

Abram Hoffer had very good results with niacin/niacinamide for alcoholism.

Tarmander

burtlancast said:
Abram Hoffer had very good results with niacin/niacinamide for alcoholism.

I'll second this, 2500mg of niacinamide or work your way up to 5g+ on niacin. Should really help with cravings. It might have some drawbacks, there is some info on problems with high dose B3 but nothing compared to alcoholism.

answersfound

alcohol reduces serotonin for the short-term and that is why people become addicted. i have absolutely no desire to drink alcohol now that my serotonin is low. it just doesn't do much for me. you may want to try activated charcoal or some raw carrot salads to clear things out. also cyproheptadine could be very helpful.

ilovethesea

Broda Barnes said he never treated an alcoholic who wasn't also hypothyroid. So, you may need thyroid supplement in addition to the other suggestions. It might be difficult to overcome low thyroid with diet alone and your diet sounds low in protein. That alone can make people hypo.

Whey is high in tryptophan which can convert to serotonin. Can you drink milk or eat cheese or Greek yogurt?

lookingforanswers said:
alcohol reduces serotonin for the short-term and that is why people become addicted.

How does it do that?

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
lookingforanswers said:
alcohol reduces serotonin for the short-term and that is why people become addicted.

How does it do that?

I wonder what's the hormone interpretation of feeling good after you drink just a unit of alcohol. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine...even in small amounts they can be clearly felt in the brain, in a good way I'd say, sort of a light pressure at the front of the brain but they all feel slightly different. Hum, I wonder what happens if you take all those combined simultaneously, each in small amounts :ugeek:

jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:
lookingforanswers said:

How does it do that?

I wonder what's the hormone interpretation of feeling good after you drink just a unit of alcohol. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine...even in small amounts they can be clearly felt in the brain, in a good way I'd say, sort of a light pressure at the front of the brain but they all feel slightly different. Hum, I wonder what happens if you take all those combined simultaneously, each in small amounts :ugeek:

Dear god, you're a genius !! :shock:

pboy

I used to a while back alter between sake + spring water and coffee + sugar and it was actually pretty dope. By cycling id never get drunk or anything, it was all isotonic, and ...it was clean on intestines, and pretty light on the stomach. And I was smoking tobacco also. I ended stopping the alcohol and coffee just to really stabilize my mood, be kinder to teeth in the case of coffee, and just to not have any stimulants...I was and am now just going for a more receptive with energy mode, but no doubt its a good combo that is better than like 90% of what most americans eat, in a way...obviously you gotta have some other stuff in there, protein and the other b vitamins, but like...its a nice combo for energy and stability and to have a stress buffer. The cool thing too is its very flexible, you can meansure them out really fast and fit them in whenever. At that time I was working this one job where a lunch break was kind ofa joke...it either didn't exist or it did with me rushing and everyone looking or just breathing on...cause you had to like say 'im gonna take a break' and eat right there where everyone was still working. Id wake up early and get in like 2000 calories before I went so I could work 8 hours straight and drive home before I got excessively hungry...it still didn't quite hold me over, but id down like...back and forth sake water and coffee with sugar, eat a bunch of greek yogurt and a few whole chocolate bars lol...was dope, but the chocolate eventually took an intestinal hit on me.

To be honest, people like when you have energy and a good mood and are capable and fast at work and don't have like a sluggish or negative attitude, so just getting in whatever gets you to that state is better for you and everyone around you. It worked out nice

Tarmander

Such_Saturation said:
jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:

Would probably make for a highly addictive cocktail.

Whatever happened to coffee, whiskey and a cigarette :confused

cmon guys! Help this person out, don't suggest new and turrible cocktails for them to take. I am sure you experienced Peat people have come across some studies that help with alcoholism?

tara

I'm in favour of trying niacinamide, and maybe thiamine and possibly some other b-vits with food (or food-drink). But I suggest starting with more moredate doses, like 50-100mg at least twice but maybe better 4-6 times a day. Then you can try larger amounts, but I'd increase gradually. Some people benefit from high doses as suggested above, but some of us have had unpleasant symptoms from high doses.

Have you quantified your typical current diet? Some of us use cronometer to assess what we are getting from our food. It'll tend to suggest low on calories and high on PUFA, but can give a rough idea of whether you have any gaps.

Do you have data regarding thyroid function? eg body temps, resting pulse, thyroid lab tests?

I agree with Tarmander - taunting someone who wants to recover from alcoholic habits by discussing enjoyable alcohol is not encouraging.

burtlancast

As well, the Gerson therapy has quite a success with any kind of addictions.
It prevents withdrawal symptoms nicely too.

Well then a quart a day is not going to cut it, drink at least two quarts with sugar in it.

Peata

Do you track your nutrients? How many calories do you get, and how much protein?

OP
F
tara said:
I'm in favour of trying niacinamide, and maybe thiamine and possibly some other b-vits with food (or food-drink). But I suggest starting with more moredate doses, like 50-100mg at least twice but maybe better 4-6 times a day. Then you can try larger amounts, but I'd increase gradually. Some people benefit from high doses as suggested above, but some of us have had unpleasant symptoms from high doses.

Have you quantified your typical current diet? Some of us use cronometer to assess what we are getting from our food. It'll tend to suggest low on calories and high on PUFA, but can give a rough idea of whether you have any gaps.

Do you have data regarding thyroid function? eg body temps, resting pulse, thyroid lab tests?

I agree with Tarmander - taunting someone who wants to recover from alcoholic habits by discussing enjoyable alcohol is not encouraging.

Hello, Tara

Thanks for the niacinamide recommendation - I have only tried the nicotinic acid form. Even at low doses, I found the flushes unpleasant. I have read Dr. Hoffer and Andrew Saul's VITAMIN CURE FOR ALCOHOLISM, hence my interest in niacin. I take a B-50 B Complex daily which has 150 mg. of niacinamide - it doesn't cause a flush.

thankfully,

Robert

tara

Hi Robert,
You may get better value out of your B complex by splitting it up into 2-4 pieces, and spreading through the day.

OP
F
Peata said:
Do you track your nutrients? How many calories do you get, and how much protein?

Hello, Peata

I average 100 grams of protein consistently. I meet the RDA for most of the vitamins except vitamins E and Niacin. In regards to minerals, I am usually short on potassium (4000 mg. on average).

Robert

Such_Saturation said:
jyb said:
Such_Saturation said:
lookingforanswers said:

How does it do that?
...even in small amounts they can be clearly felt in the brain, in a good way I'd say, sort of a light pressure at the front of the brain but they all feel slightly different.

There are no sensory nerves there. How are you feeling pressure in your brain?