RDA for Iron for lacto-vegetarians

Hello, all

Another question from "Alcoholic near-vegetarian". I did a CRON search on the basic RP Diet skeleton, i.e., 2 quarts of milk and one quart of orange juice - extremely low on Iron. the recommended RDA for lacto-vegetarians, based on the 2002 modified food pyramid for lacto-vegetarians and vegans that the Journal of Nutrition produced recommended was 14 mg. for males, 6 grams higher than the then RDA for omnivores. I used to meet that 14 mg. RDA because I ate on average 3 servings daily of legumes, as well as eat 3 servings of whole grains at a minimum - but now on an RP Diet .....

Any recommendations?

thankfully,

Robert

Giraffe

Ray Peat's view is: Iron in excess is toxic.

It has a role in infectious diseases, skin aging, atherosclerosis, and cataracts of the lenses of the eyes, largely through its formation of the "age pigment." By destroying vitamin E and oxidizing the unsaturated fats in red blood cells, it can contribute to hemolytic anemia, in which red cells are so fragile that they break down too fast. Too much iron can block our absorption of copper, and too little copper makes us store too much iron.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml
________

Most of us try to inhibit iron absorption by drinking coffee after an iron-rich meal. We eat shrimp or oysters to prevent copper deficiency.

However a few forum members developed problems from too little iron; these people had higher needs for iron due to chronic bleeding and/or chronic infections.
________

I am a pre-menopausal female. My diet has been mostly near-vegetarian in the last 25 years. Blood test always showed an iron status at the lower end of "normal'". I do suffer PMS when my iron stores get too low, but just one meal containing meat or blackpudding the day before menses fixes this.

You can - if (!) this is really needed - enhance iron absorption by eating ascorbic acid (vitamin C) rich foods along with the foods containing iron. Ascorbic acid is thought to overcome the negative effect on iron absorption of inhibitors such as phytate and polyphenols.

If I were you, I would be more concerned about retinol (vitamin A). With a vegetarian diet you rely on beta-carotene for vitamin A. In hypothyroid people and in diabetic people conversion does not happen. Liver is extremely rich in retinol.

jyb

In an ideal world, you just go get an iron panel blood test and check that it's neither too low nor too high. After a few years of a low iron diet, that seems appropriate. After years of eating enriched iron foods like flour, maybe a test is appropriate too.

OP
F
Giraffe said:
Ray Peat's view is: Iron in excess is toxic.

It has a role in infectious diseases, skin aging, atherosclerosis, and cataracts of the lenses of the eyes, largely through its formation of the "age pigment." By destroying vitamin E and oxidizing the unsaturated fats in red blood cells, it can contribute to hemolytic anemia, in which red cells are so fragile that they break down too fast. Too much iron can block our absorption of copper, and too little copper makes us store too much iron.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml
________

Most of us try to inhibit iron absorption by drinking coffee after an iron-rich meal. We eat shrimp or oysters to prevent copper deficiency.

However a few forum members developed problems from too little iron; these people had higher needs for iron due to chronic bleeding and/or chronic infections.
________

I am a pre-menopausal female. My diet has been mostly near-vegetarian in the last 25 years. Blood test always showed an iron status at the lower end of "normal'". I do suffer PMS when my iron stores get too low, but just one meal containing meat or blackpudding the day before menses fixes this.

You can - if (!) this is really needed - enhance iron absorption by eating ascorbic acid (vitamin C) rich foods along with the foods containing iron. Ascorbic acid is thought to overcome the negative effect on iron absorption of inhibitors such as phytate and polyphenols.

If I were you, I would be more concerned about retinol (vitamin A). With a vegetarian diet you rely on beta-carotene for vitamin A. In hypothyroid people and in diabetic people conversion does not happen. Liver is extremely rich in retinol.

Hello, Giraffe

Thank you for your feedback. I am concerned about retinol, hence my intake of wholefat milk, as well as eggs, butter and wholefat cheese. I still try to eat carrots on a daily basis. I will try RP's raw carrot salad recommendation. I did drink a tsp. daily for even more retinol, but I grew tired of the belching and discontinued that practice. I was aware of the benefit of vitamin C at meals for better iron absorption. I do eat homemade liver pate (6-9 ounces) once a month - perhaps I should eat it more often. My red blood cell count indicates macrocytosis. Alcoholism is the cause of that.

thankfully,

Robert

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals