The Hangover Cure Diet?

CJ_87

I have noticed that many of the recommendations of Ray Peat correspond to the advice I've seen regarding what to eat in order to prevent or counteract an alcoholic hangover. For example - orange juice, eggs, coffee and fruit are often cited as the best foods to consume after an alcohol binge, while saturated fats are recommended as pre-drinking stomach lining. I also note that Alka-Seltzer is spoken of favourably here. It is as if Ray has taken the advice for curing/preventing a hangover and made a permanent diet out of it.

So my question is: are these similarities coincidental, or is the stereotypical "Peat diet" necessarily a restorative "sick person's" diet which doesn't demand too much of the digestive system, while replenishing all the nutrients that are typically lost through alcohol overdose?

zooma

Ray's philosophy is based around providing energy and increasing metabolism.

Generally in the mainstream this isn't considered important, and in some instances is considered detrimental (rate of living theory). However, even in the mainstream it is recognised that restoring energy is fundamental in curing a hangover.

SQu

I've noticed this too. I also realized my symptoms were very like a hangover though I rarely touch alcohol. Nausea migraines vertigo etc. So I don't think it's coincidental and I think the common issue in both is an unhappy liver.

Makrosky

I've noticed this too. I also realized my symptoms were very like a hangover though I rarely touch alcohol. Nausea migraines vertigo etc. So I don't think it's coincidental and I think the common issue in both is an unhappy liver.
I think the hangover feelings in absence of alcohol are caused by endotoxin.

thegiantess

I have noticed that many of the recommendations of Ray Peat correspond to the advice I've seen regarding what to eat in order to prevent or counteract an alcoholic hangover. For example - orange juice, eggs, coffee and fruit are often cited as the best foods to consume after an alcohol binge, while saturated fats are recommended as pre-drinking stomach lining. I also note that Alka-Seltzer is spoken of favourably here. It is as if Ray has taken the advice for curing/preventing a hangover and made a permanent diet out of it.

So my question is: are these similarities coincidental, or is the stereotypical "Peat diet" necessarily a restorative "sick person's" diet which doesn't demand too much of the digestive system, while replenishing all the nutrients that are typically lost through alcohol overdose?

Interesting observation. I think the Peat idea is to put the least tax on the digestive system whilst providing it the most energy density to optimize metabolic function. This makes sense when hungover as the digestive system is often stressed and only really easily digested things, and those with readily absorbable nutrients, are tolerable and can bring one back to life. Makes sense to me!

CJ_87

Interesting observation. I think the Peat idea is to put the least tax on the digestive system whilst providing it the most energy density to optimize metabolic function. This makes sense when hungover as the digestive system is often stressed and only really easily digested things, and those with readily absorbable nutrients, are tolerable and can bring one back to life. Makes sense to me!

Yes, that makes sense to me too! :grinning:

It also makes intuitive sense that a so-called healing diet would also be a valid choice for a regular, long-term "maintenance" diet. And as you say, Peat's most frequently-suggested foods are those which are both easily digestible and energy-dense, a dietary template which has an obvious overlap with the kind of foods needed to replenish and detoxify a temporarily alcohol-ravaged digestive system.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ddjd raising cortisol with t4= terrible headaches, similar to a hangover Ask For Help or Advice 9
bzmazu Virologists Report Poor Man’s Amino Acid Cure For Covid-19 Would Abolish Need For Vaccines Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 2
M Forcing milk to cure lactose intolerance experiment Working Through Milk Issues 15
egoy These methods are enough to cure ASD ? Ask For Help or Advice 10
haidut Aspirin can cure liver cancer in just 24 hours (in rabbits) Scientific Studies 2
haidut The Cure For Aging Might Be The Cure For Alzheimer’s Scientific Studies 3
B Methylene Blue And Red Light Cure Tinea Versicolor Scientific Studies 1
K Reducing Or Curing Venous Leakage To Cure ED? Male Issues 0
haidut Doxycycline Akin To Meldonium / Mildronate, May Cure Triple-negative Breast Cancer Scientific Studies 0
L Covid-19, The Coverup, The Cure & Key Evidence Articles & Scientific Studies 0
Dino D Covid Cure Found In Bosnien Breaking News 1
S Link To Covid Cure Video - Social Sites Are Scrubbing Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 11
E "The Actual Cure For Male Pattern Baldness" Hair & Nails 277
haidut Niacinamide (vitamin B3) May Cure HIV (human Study) Scientific Studies 9
T Can Anyone Review Nate Hatch's F*ck Portion Control "cure For Baldness"? Hair & Nails 18
M Doctors Using Vitamin Therapy On Covid-19 With 100% Cure Rate On Old People Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 3
bzmazu The Cure? Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 1
Y Most Likely Cure To Coronavirus Seems To Revolve Around Angiotensin Ask For Help or Advice 10
haidut Forcing The Heart To Burn Glucose Instead Of Fat May Cure Heart Failure Scientific Studies 24
haidut Vitamin E Can Treat/cure Severe Fatty Liver Disease (NASH) In Humans Scientific Studies 19
haidut Simple Heating Of Tumor Often Leads To A Rapid And Complete Cure Scientific Studies 17
LucyL Proof They Don't Want To Cure Cancer? Scientific Studies 7
johnwester130 Best "cure" For A Social Recluse ? Ask For Help or Advice 9
Elchapchapchapo Tinnitus - Infared LLLT - Possible Cure Eyes, Ears, Nose and Headaches/Migraines 2
TheBeard Anabolic Steroids Can Cure SIBO Digestion 18
A How To Cure Constipation? Ask For Help or Advice 44
ecstatichamster The Cure To Old Age - Dr. Peat September 1995 Science 96
haidut Blocking Endotoxin (LPS) May Reverse/cure Diabetes Type I Scientific Studies 5
GorillaHead Still Hypersexual Help Me Cure This Male Issues 41
L New Evidence Of Synergism Between Vitamins A And D — Can They Cure Diabetes? Fat-Soluble Vitamins 2
haidut SSRI Drugs During Pregnancy Cause Child Autism, Antiserotonin Drugs Cure It Scientific Studies 3
bzmazu Fenbendazole. The Last Thing The Cancer Industry Needs Is A Cure Cancer 9
haidut All Gut Bacteria Dangerous, Its Endotoxin Drives Liver Cancer; Antibiotics Cure Scientific Studies 133
jzeno The Cure Of Advanced Cancer By Diet Therapy: A Summary Of 30 Years Of Clinical Experimentation Cancer 2
jzeno Dr. McDougall: Cure Type 2 Diabetes With Sugar & White Rice Miscellaneous Health Discussions 49
D Israeli Scientist Says To Have Cure For Cancer Within 1 Year Cancer 8
J Alleged Cancer Cure Articles & Scientific Studies 104
ecstatichamster GcMAF Nagalase, Autism And Cancer Cure— What Is The Story Scientific Studies 9
S Lutein-free Diet To Cure Autism Autism 36
haidut DHEA As A Cure For Cancer Scientific Studies 58
A Possible Autism Cure - Heavy Metals Detox? Autism 2
M What Chronicle Symptoms Did You Cure? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Zpol Redundant / Tortuous Colon; Is There Cure? Digestion 6
Prosper SIBO: The Garlic Cure - Experiences? Ask For Help or Advice 58
haidut Simple Intestinal Antiseptic As A Cure For Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Scientific Studies 67
L VitA/Retionoic Acid Might Prevent Or Cure Prostate Cancer Via OR A 0
T Alleged Cure For Cancer, Cancer Is A False Placenta Theory Cancer 7
General Orange How Hot Peppers And Marijuana Could Help Cure Gut Problems Digestion, Gut Flora 6
T Why Would This Chinese/Japanese Herbal Formula Cure Varicocele 40 Out Of 50 Times In A Study? Ask For Help or Advice 20
haidut Gut Bacteria May Cause ALL Autoimmune Conditions; Antibiotics Can Cure Scientific Studies 249