Low Toxin Supplements Graph Of How 75 Grams Of Oral Dextrose Effected Blood Sugar Levels In 9 Healthy Humans

Clyde

I hope some members can share their blood glucose numbers around 30 minutes after taking dextrose powder. Some patients of Dr. David Stephens have taken triple the dose of glucose used below 4x/day for half a year. It would be fascinating to know how the body adapts over time and if blood sugar changes are involved in the therapeutic effect Stephens has witnessed.

Blood-glucose-and-plasma-insulin-and-glucagon-responses-to-oral-glucose-and-fructose.jpg

Subjects and study protocol. Nine healthy volunteers (4 men and 5
women; mean age 27.7 1.2 yr, range: 23.4 –36.8, mean body mass
index 21.7 0.4 kg/m2 , range: 18.2–26.3) participated in the study,
which was approved by the local ethical committee and conducted
according to the principles of The Helsinki Declaration. All subjects
had normal fasting blood glucose levels (5.29 0.39 mM, range:
4.5– 6.1 mM), and none had parents or siblings diagnosed with any
type of diabetes. No subjects received medication known to interfere
with glucose homeostasis. Each subject was studied on two occasions
within 3 wk after the first day of study. Subjects were instructed to
refrain from vigorous exercise and alcohol for at least 24 h before
each study. Study days began at 0830 preceded by a 10-h overnight
fast. Venous blood samples were collected at time 10, 0, 15, 30, 45,
60, 90, 120 min in prechilled EDTA (10.8 mg) tubes (catalog no.
367864; BD Biosciences, Albertslund, Denmark) through a polyeth-
ylene cannula placed in a cubital vein. At time 0 min, the seated,
single-blinded, subjects drank a sugar solution containing 75 g fruc-
tose or glucose dissolved in 300 ml water (RT) within 2 min. For
palatability, solutions were refreshed with lemon juice. Upon collec-
tion, blood samples were instantly chilled on ice and centrifuged
(2,400 g, 15 min, 5°C) within 30 min. Plasma were stored at 20°C
until analysis.

Last edited:
OP
C

Clyde

Another chart from another study for context:

Blood glucose response of 50 grams of oral glucose vs 50 grams of carbohydrate as starches
Graphical-representation-of-blood-glucose-response-of-dextrose-whole-wheat-flour-and-PAU.png

Abstract and Figures​

Several lifestyle diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular diseases are continuously spreading their roots in the population living in the Indian sub-continent. There has been substantial evidence regarding the health promoting impacts of products made from multiple grains with low glycaemic index. Keeping this in view, PAU multigrain flour was developed using the different grains viz., wheat, maize, barley, Bengal gram and oats. In the present study, glycaemic index of whole wheat flour and PAU multigrain flour were estimated. Thirty subjects (non-diabetic volunteers) consumed reference (dextrose) and test foods (whole wheat multigrain flour roti) providing 50 g of available carbohydrate. Finger pricked capillary blood samples from the fasting subjects were collected at 0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 and 120 min from the start of each food. For both test foods, the incremental area under the curve was calculated and GI values were determined. It was found that rotis prepared from both whole wheat flour and PAU multigrain flour fell under the category of foods with low GI with the values of 44.6 and 28.4, respectively. The GI of multigrain flour was 36% lower than whole wheat flour. Inclusion of multigrain flour in the diet instead wheat or rice will lower the dietary glycaemic load could help in prevention of lifestyle related diseases.

Ras

Isn't a therapeutic requirement of glucose therapy that the blood become rapidly dosed with glucose? Otherwise, the therapy would require the subject to eat a lot of white rice, rather than dextrose.

OP
C

Clyde

Isn't a therapeutic requirement of glucose therapy that the blood become rapidly dosed with glucose? Otherwise, the therapy would require the subject to eat a lot of white rice, rather than dextrose.
I'm not diabetic at all but 800 calories of white rice will take my blood glucose to 200 and I've gotten there with other starches (100pt move). But as you an see from the charts dextrose at lower doses can increase blood glucose 2x or 3x as much as bread.

I'm not clear on whether the effect of dextrose on blood glucose is relevant but I think it could be and since dextrose is sold for the purpose of raising blood glucose, why not get some numbers?

EvanHinkle

I'm not diabetic at all but 800 calories of white rice will take my blood glucose to 200 and I've gotten there with other starches (100pt move). But as you an see from the charts dextrose at lower doses can increase blood glucose 2x or 3x as much as bread.

I'm not clear on whether the effect of dextrose on blood glucose is relevant but I think it could be and since dextrose is sold for the purpose of raising blood glucose, why not get some numbers?
I was just mentioning to someone that it’s lowering my blood glucose.

I was typically spiking to 150 after a meal and now I’m topping out at 125. I’m consistently hitting numbers 20-30 points lower with glucose than without.

EvanHinkle

Another chart from another study for context:

Blood glucose response of 50 grams of oral glucose vs 50 grams of carbohydrate as starches
View attachment 62724

Abstract and Figures​

Several lifestyle diseases like diabetes, cardiovascular diseases are continuously spreading their roots in the population living in the Indian sub-continent. There has been substantial evidence regarding the health promoting impacts of products made from multiple grains with low glycaemic index. Keeping this in view, PAU multigrain flour was developed using the different grains viz., wheat, maize, barley, Bengal gram and oats. In the present study, glycaemic index of whole wheat flour and PAU multigrain flour were estimated. Thirty subjects (non-diabetic volunteers) consumed reference (dextrose) and test foods (whole wheat multigrain flour roti) providing 50 g of available carbohydrate. Finger pricked capillary blood samples from the fasting subjects were collected at 0, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 and 120 min from the start of each food. For both test foods, the incremental area under the curve was calculated and GI values were determined. It was found that rotis prepared from both whole wheat flour and PAU multigrain flour fell under the category of foods with low GI with the values of 44.6 and 28.4, respectively. The GI of multigrain flour was 36% lower than whole wheat flour. Inclusion of multigrain flour in the diet instead wheat or rice will lower the dietary glycaemic load could help in prevention of lifestyle related diseases.
Is this apples to apples though? I’m ignorant, so bear with me, but 50g of starch wouldn’t convert to 50g of glucose right? Wouldn’t you have to take a much larger dose of starch to effectively replicate the effect of 50g of glucose?

Again, I’m not sure on this, legitimately asking the question.

gabys225

Is this apples to apples though? I’m ignorant, so bear with me, but 50g of starch wouldn’t convert to 50g of glucose right? Wouldn’t you have to take a much larger dose of starch to effectively replicate the effect of 50g of glucose?

What makes it not be apples to apples is the fact that it's comparing a monosaccharide, glucose, to a polysaccharide like starch, which requires enzymatic breakdown to become glucose. Starch is long chain glucose that is broken down gradually to give you sustained energy, so it doesn't spike BS as dramatically as a glucose since it has to be broken down. So you get a stronger spike with glucose, then a return to baseline as the energy is used, where as starch is a smaller spike but higher BS over time. That's how I understand it.

OP
C

Clyde

What makes it not be apples to apples is the fact that it's comparing a monosaccharide, glucose, to a polysaccharide like starch, which requires enzymatic breakdown to become glucose. Starch is long chain glucose that is broken down gradually to give you sustained energy, so it doesn't spike BS as dramatically as a glucose since it has to be broken down. So you get a stronger spike with glucose, then a return to baseline as the energy is used, where as starch is a smaller spike but higher BS over time. That's how I understand it.
There's also the small opening at the base of the stomach which lets solid food drip into the small intestine much slower than a liquid.

OP
C

Clyde

It's the same amount of glucose but the blood only holds about a teaspoon of sugar. So you can imagine how a rapid influx of glucose before insulin can get out in front could give a very large spike.

Ironically with all the obsession on avoiding elevated blood glucose, what the are bodies fear most is drops in blood sugar. It's extremely lethal not far from normal fasting levels so our bodies won't chance it and panic if it's remotely possible and it's therefore not hard to imagine that elevated glucose even beyond normal could be relaxing and therapeutic. This was a common Ray Peat theme.

Last edited:

Peater

Ironically with all the obsession on avoiding elevated blood glucose, what the are bodies fear most is drops in blood sugar. It's extremely lethal not far from normal fasting levels so our bodies won't chance it and panic if it's remotely possible
That's a really good point!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals