Consumption Of Nuts Is Protective Against Lipid Peroxidation

ken

thought you all might like a video about Pufa in the mitochondria

boris

.... which means excluding groups of real foods is orthorexic

You think not eating nuts clinically impairs you? I don't see any evidence for that.

And by your definition (that does not match the actual definition) anyone that doesn't want to consume all available "real" food groups has a mental disorder.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nuancé

orthorexia is the belief that real foods (with their nutritive properties) that have been around since forever can be bad; this includes nuts and seeds of course.

Totally agree. When I see some peaters demonize a handful of almonds but eating huge amounts of refined sugar, that's totally nonsense to me.

Vegancrossfit

You think not eating nuts clinically impairs you? I don't see any evidence for that.

not eating nuts while having craving for them but not caving because of PuFaS....

...is orthorexic behavior.

Fine; you’ll get there. I have some time on hand. @Nuancé seems to have understood the gist of it but I can try rewording the whole concept if straying away from Wikipedia definitions proves to be tough.

OP
N

Nuancé

+1
I used to have insatiable urges for nuts and peanuts quite often. Still get them sometimes.

Cravings are really meaningful sometimes. Like magnesium deficient people who craves chocolate, vegans who craves meat..

boris

not eating nuts while having craving for them but not caving because of PuFaS....

...is orthorexic behavior.

Fine; you’ll get there. I have some time on hand. @Nuancé seems to have understood the gist of it but I can try rewording the whole concept if straying away from Wikipedia definitions proves to be tough.
I can agree with that. Your previously stated definiton of orthorexia which was quite different from this statement, is still wrong.

boris

If you don't eat a specific food while being mentally fine with it and not getting physically ill as a result, you are not an orthorectic.

..............I think the term is stupid anyways :p:

yerrag

I also dislike the idea of diets based around “depletion” that takes years, be it PUFA or vitamin A. Excluding major food groups/nutr

I did PUFA depletion cold turkey for at least 4 years just for the heck of it. Didn't pay much attention to it. Just let the years go by, not even measuring anything nor anticipating anything. Easy to do when I don't eat out much except for some occasions.

One day I just decided to see how I'd take to white rice. Shifted from 15 years on brown to see if I'd get hungry 2-3 hours after meals. I wasn't hungry anymore. I skipped lunch and found I was no longer feeling empty. I took a teaspoon white sugar when I was feeling empty (hungry or sleepy) and I actually felt better, with no feeling of sugar low at any time after it.

That's when I knew PUFA depletion for 4 years works. I've even done 2-days dry fasts lately. It doesn't put me on a sugar low on the first day. On the second day, I cheated by taking a teaspoon of honey twice.

Sugar has become a friend I had long lost. Sugar never left me, I didn't deserve sugar because I unknowingly took PUFA as part of my life and my body became unfriendly to sugar.

For all the people here who goes to great lengths to defend SFAs and attack PUFAs, I am disappointed that they do not walk the talk though. If you truly believe SFAs are good, why aren't any of you taking the 4 yr PUFA depletion challenge? It might be hard to convince @ursidae because he has his stated reasons, but my experience as documented may make you take the plunge :

Anti-Peat - Saturated Fat TERRIBLE For Liver Health & Diabetes. Compared To PUFA

Many in this forum get disappointed when they embrace the Ray Peat diet. Like @Cirion. They gain weight and become obese. One reason is they don't have what it takes. They don't want to take the 4yr challenge. They want to take aspirin and niacinamide instead. They are not curing themselves. They're no different from people who take maintenance meds but they only replace maint meds with supplements.

This is a very nuanced topic and they need to get a good handle on it. OP is right about nuts though. They're not evil because while these nuts, as whole foods, contain vitamin E packaged together with the PUFAs nuts contain. At its worst, it's a wash because the PUFAs are balanced by the vitamin E it contains. Think about it. Coconut has a lot of SFAs, but it contains very, very insignificant amounts of vitamin E. It's not needed to be in coconuts. Ask yourself where we get our vitamin E from - it's from high PUFA sources such as soya oil. I'm not advocating for eating soya nuts though (highly estrogenic).

But when we avoid PUFAs, we want to avoid PUFAs in their isolated forms especially those the American Heart Association deems heart- healthy, such as soya oil, corn oil, and canola oil. And more of such oils. There is no vitamin E that comes with these oils. A lifestyle where you take in these oils daily, thru home cooking and especially at eating out, will be causing you sugar regulation issues. It's because of these issues that people have thyroid issues, and have problems maintaining a normal weight, and get obese.

Fix yourself by getting rid of your PUFA stores first. While nuts aren't bad, don't go consuming them while you're on a PUFA depletion for 4 years.

When you get back to having your blood sugar regulation improved, you can go back to enjoying nuts. But take them in moderation, as unsprouted nuts have plenty of nutrients, and they can be a problem for people with compromised guts.

Lastly, as PUFAs are tied very much to blood sugar issues, it's also good to understand the role of insulin. Insulin's role is not really primarily to make sugar get absorbed into tissues. This is one of the myths of modern medicine that is hard to shake off. Yes, insulin helps, but in its absence, the body's tissues will still absorb sugar, and good potassium stores will do the job. But insulin's main role is to regulate the different metabolic pathways (sugar metabolism, fatty acid oxidation, and ketogenesis) the body relies on to produce energy.

I end with sharing this recent post:

Guide On How To Optimize Glucose Oxidation

In reading this post, I hope you will understand and appreciate why good sugar control makes you lose weight. It's because with good blood sugar control, you don't need insulin to be secreted by the pancreas. And with no insulin, the liver isn't producing fatty acids but making fatty acids out of fat stores and allowing these fatty acids to be burned for energy. As contrary to what many think here, fatty acid oxidation (aka beta-oxidation) is not bad when the predominant pathway of metabolism is sugar metabolism - oxidative phosphorylation.

You don't need to concern yourself with the many supplements that at their best are mere band-aid, and at worst, maintenance drugs.

Vinny

How did you eat them? I realized many of my cravings were actually a specific part of the food. My craving for nuts or potato chips was often a craving for salt. My craving for peanut butter, etc was actually a craving for fat and sugar.
Roasted/salted primarily, in unmodest amounts.
Was it craving for salt and fat? I don`t know....

rei

orthorexia is the belief that real foods (with their nutritive properties) that have been around since forever can be bad; this includes nuts and seeds of course.
I can see your reasoning, but the details slipped a bit. Seeds are not eaten since forever, only since we stopped being hunter-gatherers and started farming&cooking (and thus shrinking our brain). Seeds eaten in the raw form provide next to no nutritional value yet much antinutrients. Nuts are a completely different game and are probably decent food, but not optimal.

OP
N

Nuancé

I can see your reasoning, but the details slipped a bit. Seeds are not eaten since forever, only since we stopped being hunter-gatherers and started farming&cooking (and thus shrinking our brain). Seeds eaten in the raw form provide next to no nutritional value yet much antinutrients. Nuts are a completely different game and are probably decent food, but not optimal.

Seeds and nuts were already eaten before agriculture... even wild grains and legumes !

Microfossils in calculus demonstrate consumption of plants and cooked foods in Neanderthal diets (Shanidar III, Iraq; Spy I and II, Belgium)

"
Discussion
These sites record some of the extremes of the environments experienced by Neanderthals, from a Mediterranean, although inland and mountainous, environment at Shanidar to a northern, although oceanic, environment at Spy. Our data show that Neanderthals in both environments included a spectrum of plant foods in their diets, including grass seeds (Triticeae cf. Hordeum), dates (Phoenix), legumes (Faboideae), plant underground storage organs, and other yet-unidentified plants, and that several of the consumed plants had been cooked. Here we report direct evidence for Neanderthal consumption of a variety of plant foods, in the form of phytoliths and starch grains recovered from dental calculus of Neanderthal skeletons from Shanidar Cave, Iraq, and Spy Cave, Belgium. Some of the plants are typical of recent modern human diets, including date palms (Phoenix spp.), legumes, and grass seeds (Triticeae), whereas others are known to be edible but are not heavily used today. Many of the grass seed starches showed damage that is a distinctive marker of cooking"

rei

no wonder they went extinct.

seriously though, a hunter gatherer is not going to have significant amount of seeds to consume. And take the time to somehow cook them in the paleolithic era.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nuancé

no wonder they went extinct.

seriously though, a hunter gatherer is not going to have significant amount of seeds to consume. And take the time to somehow cook them in the paleolithic era.

Haha maybe.

I think that too, I'm not saying that we should eat huge amounts of seeds ans nuts like some vegans do, I'm just saying that in normal amount they seems to be very good and not detrimental for common people.
Same thing for grains and legumes, great in little amounts, bad in huge amounts because of phytic acid presence especially.