Consumption Of Nuts Is Protective Against Lipid Peroxidation

Nuancé

Hello,

To continue the perennial debate on saturated fat vs polyunsaturated fats (I personnally think it's a matter of nuances, with benefits and dangers from both sides, depending on details and the context).

Here is some intervention studies on humans showing that nuts consumption reduce oxidized LDL and the dreaded MDA (malondialdehyde), which are both recognized markers of lipid peroxidation.
We talk about whole foods here, not isolated oils or roasted and salted nuts, which can become rancid during these processes.

Almond consumption reduces oxidative DNA damage and lipid peroxidation in male smokers - PubMed

"
Abstract
Smoking increases the risk of several chronic diseases associated with elevated oxidative stress status. Almonds are a good source of antioxidant nutrients and may diminish smoking-related biomarkers of oxidative stress. We investigated whether almond consumption decreases biomarkers of oxidative stress in young male smokers. We conducted a randomized, crossover clinical trial with 60 healthy male soldiers (18-25 y) who were habitual smokers (5-20 cigarettes/d) and supplemented their diet with 84 g almonds or 120 g pork (to control for calories) daily for 4 wk with a 4-wk washout period between treatment periods. In addition, 30 healthy nonsmoking men were provided the same daily serving of pork as reference comparison. Blood and urine were collected and assessed for biomarkers of oxidative stress"

"Baseline values of urinary 8-hydroxy-deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) and malondialdehyde (MDA) and peripheral lymphocyte DNA strand breaks were significantly higher by 185, 64, and 97% in smokers than nonsmokers, whereas activities of plasma superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GPX), and catalase were significantly lower by 15, 10, and 9%, respectively. After the almond intervention, serum alpha-tocopherol, SOD, and GPX increased significantly in smokers by 10, 35, and 16%, respectively and 8-OHdG, MDA, and DNA strand breaks decreased significantly by 28, 34, and 23%. In smokers, after almond supplementation, the concentration of 8-OHdG remained significantly greater than in nonsmokers by 98%. These results suggest almond intake can enhance antioxidant defenses and diminish biomarkers of oxidative stress in smokers."

Effects of pistachio nuts consumption on plasma lipid profile and oxidative status in healthy volunteers - PubMed

"
Abstract
Background and aim: Effects of pistachio nuts consumption on plasma lipid profile and oxidative status were investigated in healthy volunteers with normal lipid levels.

Methods and results: The study was conducted in 24 healthy men and 20 healthy women. All subjects consumed their regular diets during a 1-week period. After this period, half of the subjects (12 men and 10 women, mean age 32.8 +/- 6.7 years) were randomized to a regular diet group and the other half (12 men and 10 women, mean age 33.4 +/- 7.2 years) were randomized to a pistachio group which involved substituting pistachio nuts for 20% of their daily caloric intake for 3 weeks. Plasma total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL), high-density lipoprotein (HDL), triglyceride, malondialdehyde (MDA) and antioxidant potential (AOP) were measured before and after the dietary modification from all the subjects."

"
After 3 weeks, with the pistachio diet, the mean plasma total cholesterol, MDA levels and, total cholesterol/HDL and LDL/HDL ratios were found to be significantly decreased (P < 0.05, P < 0.05, P < 0.001 and P < 0.01, respectively); on the contrary, HDL and AOP levels, and AOP/MDA ratios were significantly increased (P < 0.001, P < 0.05 and P < 0.01, respectively). Triglyceride and LDL levels also decreased but this was not statistically significant (P > 0.05).

Conclusion: These results indicated that consumption of pistachio nuts decreased oxidative stress, and improved total cholesterol and HDL levels in healthy volunteers."

Acute effect of nut consumption on plasma total polyphenols, antioxidant capacity and lipid peroxidation - PubMed

"
Background: Nuts have been shown to have beneficial effects on human health due to the healthy fat content; however, the effect of antioxidants (i.e. polyphenols) in nuts have not been fully investigated. The present study aimed to assess the immediate effect of a polyphenol-rich meal (75% of energy from nuts: walnuts or almonds) and a polyphenol-free meal on plasma polyphenol content, antioxidant capacity and lipid peroxidation in healthy volunteers.

Methods: Thirteen subjects participated in a randomized, crossover, intervention study. After an overnight fast, walnuts, almonds or a control meal in the form of smoothies were consumed by study subjects. Each subject participated on three occasions, 1 week apart, consuming one of the smoothies each time. Blood samples were obtained at fasting and then at intervals up to 3.5 h after consumption of the smoothies."

"
Results: There was a significant increase in plasma polyphenol concentration following both nut meals, with peak concentrations being achieved at 90 min, and with a walnut meal having a more sustained higher concentration than an almond meal. The plasma total antioxidant capacity reached its highest point at 150 min postconsumption of the nut meals, and was higher after the almond compared to walnut meal. A gradual significant (P < 0.05) reduction in the susceptibility of plasma to lipid peroxidation was observed 90 min after ingestion of the nut meals. No changes were observed following consumption of control meal.

Conclusions: Consumption of both nuts increased plasma polyphenol concentrations, increased the total antioxidant capacity and reduced plasma lipid peroxidation."

Pecans Acutely Increase Plasma Postprandial Antioxidant Capacity and Catechins and Decrease LDL Oxidation in Humans

"Study design.
In a placebo-controlled, 3-way crossover design with a 1-wk washout period between treatments, participants were randomly assigned to consume a test meal of 90 g (∼3 servings) whole pecans plus water, 90 g pecans blended with water, or a test meal with an energy, macronutrient, and fluid content equivalent to that of the pecan meals as control. Bioactive constituents of pecan nuts such as γ-tocopherol and flavan-3-ol monomers show antioxidant properties in vitro, but bioavailability in humans is not known. We examined postprandial changes in plasma oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) and in concentrations of tocopherols, catechins, oxidized LDL, and malondialdehyde (MDA) in response to pecan test meals. Sixteen healthy men and women (23-44 y, BMI 22.7 ± 3.4) were randomly assigned to 3 sequences of test meals composed of whole pecans, blended pecans, or an isocaloric meal of equivalent macronutrient composition but formulated of refined ingredients in a crossover design with a 1-wk washout period between treatments."

"
Results

Following the whole and blended pecan test meals, plasma concentrations of γ-tocopherols doubled at 8 h (P < 0.001) and hydrophilic- and lipophilic-ORAC increased 12 and 10% at 2 h, respectively. Post whole pecan consumption, oxidized LDL decreased 30, 33, and 26% at 2, 3, and 8 h, respectively (P < 0.05), and epigallocatechin-3-gallate concentrations at 1 h (mean ± SEM; 95.1 ± 30.6 nmol/L) and 2 h (116.3 ± 80.5 nmol/L) were higher than at baseline (0 h) and after the control test meal at 1 h (P < 0.05). The postprandial molar ratio of MDA:triglycerides decreased by 37, 36, and 40% at 3, 5, and 8 h, respectively (P < 0.05), only when whole and blended pecan data were pooled. These results show that bioactive constituent of pecans are absorbable and contribute to postprandial antioxidant defenses.
In summary, this randomized crossover trial showed that when pecans are consumed, their catechin monomers, of which EGCG is the most available, are absorbed. The plasma concentration of γ-tocopherol and ORAC activity increased, whereas oxidized LDL and the ratio of MDA:triglycerides decreased following pecan consumption. Whether the improvement in antioxidant status is due to γ-tocopherol, catechins, or both acting in synergy remains to be determined."

There is also a lot of positives studies with whole seeds like flaxseed or sesame seeds, on humans and animals models, even for soy (which contains a good amount of PUFA if not processed), and these studies have been reproduced several times for walnuts, almonds...
I'm not saying that nuts are the panacea in every circumstances and for everyone, I'm just saying that they are not the devil because of their PUFA content, and they can be great for health, even beyond lipid peroxidation to control blood sugar, antioxidant status, magnesium status, some diseases...
Like every whole food finally.

If you want to incorporate them, it will be wise to choose them in their raw state, not roasted of salted, not already processed in nut butter or worst in oil...
The best way would be to buy them in their shell, and to crack your nuts when you eat them.

Thanks for reading, it's a pleasure to speak to it.

ursidae

I hope Op isn’t gbold. It seems like it’s every 5th or so account on this forum, an impressive effort.

Anyway I’m starting to believe that nuts might not actually be bad. When I was in good health I was consuming a lot of nuts and avocado. Not to mention that I literally dreamt about gorging on almonds last night (And I’m supplementing e/mag). If there is such a thing as the body sending signals, this must be it

I also dislike the idea of diets based around “depletion” that takes years, be it PUFA or vitamin A. Excluding major food groups/nutrients for extended periods of time and when the restriction yields zero results, it just means you’re not depleted yet and need to commit for a couple more years. It’s a bit like the whole detox sham. IMO a change in the positive direction should produce some pretty immediate improvement, otherwise it’s best to consider you’re not focusing on the right variable

Last edited:

rei

so comparing pork vs nuts or smoothie vs nuts. These studies seem to be done by nut manufacturer's association to boost sales, they are so poorly done as to have next to no scientific value.

Here is how you make a proper study: You decide on a meal plan for the whole group. In one group you decrease the meal amounts across the board so the calories stay same and food proportions stay same. YOU DON'T INTRODUCE ANOTHER VARIABLE

Last edited:

Frankdee20

I eat a few Brazil Nuts daily for the high selenium content and hopefully increased T4 conversion in the liver... they’re delicious but so much fat lol

Jessie

Nuts have a generous supply of vitamin E in them, so I'm not really surprised to see this. I think you may have a wrong impression about how PUFA damages the organism. PUFA is relatively benign when it's stored and put away. It doesn't do the bulk of it's damage until excessive lypolisis occurs, when it floods the serum in the form of FFAs. As we age, our cells become increasingly more and more unsaturated, and it becomes harder for the organism to manage the excessive fat oxidation. The organism eventually loses all ability to deal with it, and then death occurs of course.

If you're keeping PUFA stored away, you're less likely to be effected by it, particularly young people. However, that's not to say there's absolutely no risk. Even when packaged away in triglycerides and LDL, the unsaturated esters are far more prone to oxidation. This partly explains why the majority of atherosclerotic plaque is actually linoleic acid. Because even when stored away, PUFAs have a rancidfying effect on your lipids.

rei

Nuts have a generous supply of vitamin E in them, so I'm not really surprised to see this. I think you may have a wrong impression about how PUFA damages the organism. PUFA is relatively benign when it's stored and put away. It doesn't do the bulk of it's damage until excessive lypolisis occurs, when it floods the serum in the form of FFAs. As we age, our cells become increasingly more and more unsaturated, and it becomes harder for the organism to manage the excessive fat oxidation. The organism eventually loses all ability to deal with it, and then death occurs of course.

If you're keeping PUFA stored away, you're less likely to be effected by it, particularly young people. However, that's not to say there's absolutely no risk. Even when packaged away in triglycerides and LDL, the unsaturated esters are far more prone to oxidation. This partly explains why the majority of atherosclerotic plaque is actually linoleic acid. Because even when stored away, PUFAs have a rancidfying effect on your lipids.
Slightly wrong. Even mainstream acknowledges that there are healthy fat deposits, and unhealthy ones. So what is the difference? They don't even speculate. But i can speculate on it, the difference is if your immune system is able to clear up the damage caused by stored PUFA spontaneously breaking down, and being shunted out of the adipocyte. Vitamin E and C are certainly important here, preventing the breakdown, but also overall immune function. If it is not cleared effectively, it causes inflammation in the fat stores.

Atherosclerosis has nothing to do with this stage, it is probably a result of circulating pufa (as ffa, tg and lipoproteins).

Jessie

Slightly wrong. Even mainstream acknowledges that there are healthy fat deposits, and unhealthy ones. So what is the difference? They don't even speculate. But i can speculate on it, the difference is if your immune system is able to clear up the damage caused by stored PUFA spontaneously breaking down, and being shunted out of the adipocyte. Vitamin E and C are certainly important here, preventing the breakdown, but also overall immune function. If it is not cleared effectively, it causes inflammation in the fat stores.

Atherosclerosis has nothing to do with this stage, it is probably a result of circulating pufa (as ffa, tg and lipoproteins).
I'm not sure why you think this invalidates anything I said. Lp(a) is the main substance that clogs the artery, which is the sticky LDL. This process doesn't have anything to do with FFAs. Albeit, we can reserve some conversation about how FFA induce stress, and thus there could be some downstream correlations, but free fatty acids aren't clogging the artery. And as for vitamin E & C, there's direct mechanism by which they protect from Lp(a), so I definitely agree you need both.

Vitamin E prevent the degradation and oxidation of the lipids, and vitamin C can strengthen arterial walls, and reverse plaster casts caused by the Lp(a). Linus Pauling discovered this many years ago, allegedly works even better with lysine (makes sense, considering lysine is a Lp(a) binding inhibitor).

rei

>If you're keeping PUFA stored away, you're less likely to be effected by it, particularly young people.

It affects you as long as it is in your body, like a timebomb with random timer.

>Because even when stored away, PUFAs have a rancidfying effect on your lipids.

Do you have sources that say pufa degradation degrades SFA? Or did you mean "stored away" as circulating TG and lipoprotein?

Maybe i just misinterpreted what you tried to say. Also, how do you say FFA is not clogging the artery, in the case when it's spontaneous breakdown happens by reacting with artery wall, necessitating the repair process in the first place.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nuancé

I eat a few Brazil Nuts daily for the high selenium content and hopefully increased T4 conversion in the liver... they’re delicious but so much fat lol

Haha I've also read studies on brazil nuts. Also great for peroxidation and of course for selenium status. And yes they are absolutely delicious.

OP
N

Nuancé

I hope Op isn’t gbold. It seems like it’s every 5th or so account on this forum, an impressive effort.

Anyway I’m starting to believe that nuts might not actually be bad. When I was in good health I was consuming a lot of nuts and avocado. Not to mention that I literally dreamt about gorging on almonds last night (And I’m supplementing e/mag). If there is such a thing as the body sending signals, this must be it

I also dislike the idea of diets based around “depletion” that takes years, be it PUFA or vitamin A. Excluding major food groups/nutrients for extended periods of time and when the restriction yields zero results, it just means you’re not depleted yet and need to commit for a couple more years. It’s a bit like the whole detox sham. IMO a change in the positive direction should produce some pretty immediate improvement, otherwise it’s best to consider you’re not focusing on the right variable

Gbold ? No I'm just a random guy who wishes to challenge Peat's assertions, for the pleasure of debate and to discuss about controversies. Not for my ego.

I sincerely think that avocado is the best fat source for a vegan. A whole food rich in stable fats, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals... delicious both for preparing sweet and salty meals, a fruit with no antinutrients in huge amounts like phytic acid, oxalic acid etc.
Expensive and exotic sadly.

Exactly, I also think that it's a pity to totally exclude food categories if you don't have special pathologies like allergies, autoimmune diseases... Recently I made a new discovery, like always when we are passionnate for nutrition haha, about MOLYBDENUM.
A trace mineral present in great amounts... in legumes and grains almost exclusively. Paleo people or even some peaty might potentially lack of it and as molybdenum is rarely studied, we don't really know what implications it might have.

Fascinating as always ! :)

Mito

Considering the sources of these studies, they were likely designed for a desired outcome. I didn’t read them, did they control for the Vitamin E content of the nuts? What if they had a control group fed same amount of Vitamin E as in the nuts but with an equivalent amount of PUFA free fat?

Almond consumption reduces oxidative DNA damage and lipid peroxidation in male smokers - PubMed

Acknowledgments
We appreciate the valuable suggestions, encouragement, and support of Dr. Karen Lapsley and Mr. Guangwei Huang at the Almond Board of California.

Effects of pistachio nuts consumption on plasma lipid profile and oxidative status in healthy volunteers - PubMed

Acknowledgement
This study was financially supported by The Directorate of Research Institute of Rural Services, Sanliurfa, Turkey.

GFAR is an open forum and a movement for change. Together we are working to make agri-food research and innovation more effective, responsive and equitable, towards achieving Sustainable Development outcomes.

Acute effect of nut consumption on plasma total polyphenols, antioxidant capacity and lipid peroxidation - PubMed

Joan Sabate, received research grants through Loma Linda University from the Almond Board of California and The California Walnut Commission but this particular study was not funded by any of these two commissions. Setareh Torabian was the recipient of a scholarship from the California Walnut Commission for her Doctoral Program at Loma Linda University. This project was funded by the McClean Research Fund of Loma Linda University Department of Nutrition (Seed Grant Money).

Pecans Acutely Increase Plasma Postprandial Antioxidant Capacity and Catechins and Decrease LDL Oxidation in Humans

Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92350; and 5Center for Human Nutrition, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095

Nut Studies
The Department of Nutrition is notable for its landmark research on the health and nutrition properties of nuts. Department Chair Dr. Joan Sabaté discovered the link between nut consumption and protection from the risk of cardiovascular disease. The outcomes of his research were published in 1993 in the New England Journal of Medicine.[1] In 2010, findings from a pooled analysis of 25 intervention trials with nuts, compiled by Dr. Sabaté, was published by the Archives of Internal Medicine. This confirmed the original research and established that the consumption of nuts improves blood lipid levels and provides heart health protection.[2] The department has conducted research on almonds, peanuts, pecans, walnuts and nuts in general and includes both clinical intervention studies and epidemiological studies. Results from 19 separate inquiries are available at the department website on their nut studies.[3]

Vegetarian Research
The Department of Nutrition at Loma Linda University has dedicated extensive research to examining the nutrition and health effects of plant foods and plant based diet patterns. Research also includes assessing the safety, adequacy and optimacy of vegetarian eating patterns as well as assessing the potential impact of animal vs plant foods on nutrition, microbial contamination and sanitaryconcerns, and on the environment.[4] Every five years, beginning in 1992, Loma Linda University sponsors the International Congress on Vegetarian Nutrition. The 5th congress, held March 4–6, 2008 was attended by over 700 research and health professionals from over 40 countries. Dr. Joan Sabaté has chaired the last two congresses and Nutrition Department faculty have served as chair of the scientific program. Proceedings from these congresses have been published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and are available through the congress website.[5]

Two vegetarian resources have been produced from department research. Dr. Joan Sabaté is editor of the book Vegetarian Nutrition. This book contains expert summaries of various aspects of a plant-based diet. It provides not only ethical, moral, and religious viewpoints from different periods of history but also modern perspectives on health promotion and disease prevention. The department has also produced a Vegetarian Food Pyramid, a 4-page brochure that includes guidelines for healthful vegetarian diets, serving guides and other recommended lifestyle habits.
Loma Linda University School of Public Health, Department of Nutrition - Wikipedia

Jessie

>If you're keeping PUFA stored away, you're less likely to be effected by it, particularly young people.

It affects you as long as it is in your body, like a timebomb with random timer.

Right, but it can be mobilized as FFAs and it can also be stored into triglycerides and carried around by the lipoproteins. In the case of the latter, the PUFA in more inert and doesn't cause as much direct damage. When they are liberated from excessive fat oxidation, they become much more toxic. If you aren't liberating much fat, you're staying out of the stress cycle. However fat oxidation is happening to some degree all the time, and as we age, our cells become increasingly more unsaturated, which makes fat oxidation increasingly more harmful to the organism. This was my point.

>Because even when stored away, PUFAs have a rancidfying effect on your lipids.

Do you have sources that say pufa degradation degrades SFA? Or did you mean "stored away" as circulating TG and lipoprotein?

I mean in the latter, when it's packaged up as triglycerides instead of FFAs. I don't think they degrade SFAs. If anything, the SFA's are diluting the PUFA, making the PUFA less susceptible to degradation.

Also, how do you say FFA is not clogging the artery, in the case when it's spontaneous breakdown happens by reacting with artery wall, necessitating the repair process in the first place.

So like, the FFAs are being used in beta-oxdiation for energy. This will increase stress and inflammation, and probably plays a underlying role in the actual cause of atherosclerosis, but it's always the lipoproteins that get sent to the arterial walls for patch work. The FFAs and lipoproteins likely work in tandem with each other when causing the specific pathology of atherosclerosis, in fact the FFAs are arguably even the biggest role, however it's always the Lp(a) that blocks blood flow from sticking.

Jessie

To add to my last point, I think it's possible to avoid actual "heart attacks" yet still be plagued with artery disease. Take these specialized starch-based diets for an example. They can push Lp(a) to really low levels by avoiding dietary fat and getting most of their calories from starch, however this isn't necessarily preventing heart disease from a pathological point of view.

The arterial walls can still be damaged and inflamed, and in all probability they are. There's just not enough cholesterol to do patch work. Is this a better state to be in then allowing your cholesterol to rise and patch the artery? Idk, but I'm going to say no.

If the artery is damaged enough, it can actually completely sever itself, which is an actual side effect to really low LDL. The LDL is there for a purpose, which is to protect or otherwise improve the integrity of the artery.

Recoen

@Jessie Dr Broda Barnes basically says the same thing about using thyroid to avoid heart attacks while have arterial disease in his hypothyroidism book.

Too bad there wasn’t a way to push fatty acids, especially PUFA, straight to glucuronidation without oxidizing it. I did ask RP a little about this and he said,
“I think it’s a matter of keeping the fire hot with enough glucose, vitamins, thyroid, etc., and the total calories low enough to prevent storage. Even short exposure to fat without glucose is likely to turn on the ketogenic Randle effect. I think the increase of NADH/NAD ratio by fat oxidation is the source of the harmful effects—it leads to fatty liver, the same as ethanol.”

Jessie

@Jessie Dr Broda Barnes basically says the same thing about using thyroid to avoid heart attacks while have arterial disease in his hypothyroidism book.

Too bad there wasn’t a way to push fatty acids, especially PUFA, straight to glucuronidation without oxidizing it. I did ask RP a little about this and he said,
“I think it’s a matter of keeping the fire hot with enough glucose, vitamins, thyroid, etc., and the total calories low enough to prevent storage. Even short exposure to fat without glucose is likely to turn on the ketogenic Randle effect. I think the increase of NADH/NAD ratio by fat oxidation is the source of the harmful effects—it leads to fatty liver, the same as ethanol.”
Yeah I definitely agree with Broda and Peat. I think thyroid administration is the most curative thing one can do for themselves when they have heart disease. It's far better than statins and/or specialized cholesterol lowering diets because thyroid will actually increase the LDL turnover rate, making more protective anti-inflammatory hormones. It will also increase CO2 retention, which has vasodialation effects.

And getting enough sugar and minerals will insure you always have a steady stream of cholesterol to keep this process up. I don't think there's been another MD to even come close to Barne's success at treating heart disease. It's just there's no money to be made in his work, so the medical establishment instead went with this lipid theory of disease, which is just junk science tbh.

Heart disease is a pandemic too, million times worse than covid, lol. 1 out of every 5 people will end up with heart disease, so as you can imagine, this is a cash cow for Big Pharma and company.

Vinny

+1
I used to have insatiable urges for nuts and peanuts quite often. Still get them sometimes.

OP
N

Nuancé

Considering the sources of these studies, they were likely designed for a desired outcome. I didn’t read them, did they control for the Vitamin E content of the nuts? What if they had a control group fed same amount of Vitamin E as in the nuts but with an equivalent amount of PUFA free fat?

Acknowledgments
We appreciate the valuable suggestions, encouragement, and support of Dr. Karen Lapsley and Mr. Guangwei Huang at the Almond Board of California.

Acknowledgement
This study was financially supported by The Directorate of Research Institute of Rural Services, Sanliurfa, Turkey.

GFAR is an open forum and a movement for change. Together we are working to make agri-food research and innovation more effective, responsive and equitable, towards achieving Sustainable Development outcomes.

Joan Sabate, received research grants through Loma Linda University from the Almond Board of California and The California Walnut Commission but this particular study was not funded by any of these two commissions. Setareh Torabian was the recipient of a scholarship from the California Walnut Commission for her Doctoral Program at Loma Linda University. This project was funded by the McClean Research Fund of Loma Linda University Department of Nutrition (Seed Grant Money).

Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92350; and 5Center for Human Nutrition, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095

Nut Studies
The Department of Nutrition is notable for its landmark research on the health and nutrition properties of nuts. Department Chair Dr. Joan Sabaté discovered the link between nut consumption and protection from the risk of cardiovascular disease. The outcomes of his research were published in 1993 in the New England Journal of Medicine.[1] In 2010, findings from a pooled analysis of 25 intervention trials with nuts, compiled by Dr. Sabaté, was published by the Archives of Internal Medicine. This confirmed the original research and established that the consumption of nuts improves blood lipid levels and provides heart health protection.[2] The department has conducted research on almonds, peanuts, pecans, walnuts and nuts in general and includes both clinical intervention studies and epidemiological studies. Results from 19 separate inquiries are available at the department website on their nut studies.[3]

Vegetarian Research
The Department of Nutrition at Loma Linda University has dedicated extensive research to examining the nutrition and health effects of plant foods and plant based diet patterns. Research also includes assessing the safety, adequacy and optimacy of vegetarian eating patterns as well as assessing the potential impact of animal vs plant foods on nutrition, microbial contamination and sanitaryconcerns, and on the environment.[4] Every five years, beginning in 1992, Loma Linda University sponsors the International Congress on Vegetarian Nutrition. The 5th congress, held March 4–6, 2008 was attended by over 700 research and health professionals from over 40 countries. Dr. Joan Sabaté has chaired the last two congresses and Nutrition Department faculty have served as chair of the scientific program. Proceedings from these congresses have been published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and are available through the congress website.[5]

Two vegetarian resources have been produced from department research. Dr. Joan Sabaté is editor of the book Vegetarian Nutrition. This book contains expert summaries of various aspects of a plant-based diet. It provides not only ethical, moral, and religious viewpoints from different periods of history but also modern perspectives on health promotion and disease prevention. The department has also produced a Vegetarian Food Pyramid, a 4-page brochure that includes guidelines for healthful vegetarian diets, serving guides and other recommended lifestyle habits.
Loma Linda University School of Public Health, Department of Nutrition - Wikipedia

They are biases for some studies yes, but if the methodology is good, what is the problem ?

We often have the same thing for dairy or red meat INTERVENTION studies, but if the study is well designed, it's not necessarily bad.

There is also big epidemiological datas on the subject, where famous researchers like Walter Willett contribute to it :

Association of Nut Consumption with Total and Cause-Specific Mortality

"
METHODS
We examined the association between nut consumption and subsequent total and cause-specific mortality among 76,464 women in the Nurses’ Health Study (1980–2010) and 42,498 men in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (1986–2010). Participants with a history of cancer, heart disease, or stroke were excluded. Nut consumption was assessed at baseline and updated every 2 to 4 years.
"

"
RESULTS
During 3,038,853 person-years of follow-up, 16,200 women and 11,229 men died. Nut consumption was inversely associated with total mortality among both women and men, after adjustment for other known or suspected risk factors. The pooled multivariate hazard ratios for death among participants who ate nuts, as compared with those who did not, were 0.93 (95% confidence interval [CI], 0.90 to 0.96) for the consumption of nuts less than once per week, 0.89 (95% CI, 0.86 to 0.93) for once per week, 0.87 (95% CI, 0.83 to 0.90) for two to four times per week, 0.85 (95% CI, 0.79 to 0.91) for five or six times per week, and 0.80 (95% CI, 0.73 to 0.86) for seven or more times per week (P<0.001 for trend). Significant inverse associations were also observed between nut consumption and deaths due to cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease.
"

boris

+1
I used to have insatiable urges for nuts and peanuts quite often. Still get them sometimes.

How did you eat them? I realized many of my cravings were actually a specific part of the food. My craving for nuts or potato chips was often a craving for salt. My craving for peanut butter, etc was actually a craving for fat and sugar.

Vegancrossfit

orthorexia is the belief that real foods (with their nutritive properties) that have been around since forever can be bad; this includes nuts and seeds of course.

boris

orthorexia is the belief that real foods (with their nutritive properties) that have been around since forever can be bad; this includes nuts and seeds of course.

Not really. Orthorexia is an obsession with eating only foods that one perceives to be healthy (and that in turn making you sick).

Orthorexia nervosa - Wikipedia
  • Criterion A. Obsessive focus on "healthy" eating, as defined by a dietary theory or set of beliefs whose specific details may vary
  • Criterion B. The compulsive behavior and mental preoccupation becomes clinically impairing