Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

Amazoniac

- Identification of 9-cis-retinoic acid, 9,13-di-cis-retinoic acid, and 14-hydroxy-4,14-retro-retinol in human plasma after liver consumption

"[..]a few case reports indicated that vitamin A supplementation of 25,000 IU or more by pregnant women could result in birth defects (4). A recently published epidemiological study even suggests that intake ofvitamin A at levels exceeding 10,000 IU per day may be associated with an increased teratogenic risk (5). A single meal of liver contains, on the average, a 10- to 20-fold higher amount ofvitamin A, and in some countries (e.g. Germany and the Netherlands) regulatory agencies have therefore recommended against consumption of liver during pregnancy. The teratogenic potency of vitamin A, but also its essential functions are in part mediated by its metabolism to active retinoids."

"Buss et al. (6) have shown that liver consumption led to a substantial increase of concentrations of polar retinoids in human plasma, namely 13-cis-4-oxo-retinoic acid (13-cis-4-oxo-RA) and 13-cis-RA, and to a lesser degree to all-trans-4-oxo-RA and all-trans-RA. The relatively low levels of all-trans-RA and its 4-0x0- metabolite led the authors to suggest that the teratogenic risk of liver consumption may be low. In the present study, we describe the identification of novel and active retinoids (Fig. 1) in human plasma after consumption of tied turkey liver; these retinoids have not been detected previously in humans following vitamin A supplementation (7, 8) or liver consumption (6)."

"Fried turkey liver was given as part of a light meal to ten healthy male volunteers (2 g raw weight/kg body weight). The vitamin A content in the liver (retinol plus retinyl esters) was determined by HPLC to be 0.5 ± 0.04 mg total retinol/g raw weight (n=3). Hence, the vitamin A intake was approximately 3,300 IU or 1 mg/kg body weight."

I didn't know that 'polar bear' used to be called 'turkey' in 1996. It's a hospitalizing amount (~230,000 IU).​

"The major findings of the present study were the identification of two RA isomers, 9-cis-RA and 9,13-di-cis-RA, as well as 14-hydroxy-4,14-retro-retinol (14-HRR), in human plasma following liver consumption. These retinoids must be a result of in vivo metabolism of vitamin A, because levels of these compounds in animal liver are very low - if present at all - (14) and therefore cannot account for the observed plasma levels."

upload_2019-4-20_19-43-34.png

"9-cis-RA and 14-HRR are known to exhibit high activity - in some systems greatly exceeding that of all-trans-RA (18, 19, 26). Additionally, 9-cis-RA induced dysmorphogenic effects in a wide variety of systems (16- 19). Furthermore, the plasma levels of 13-cis-RA, 13-cis-4-0x0-RA, and all-tram-RA were significantly elevated over endogenous levels and could therefore also contribute to vitamin A induced teratogenicity. Our quantitative exposure data on highly active retinoids following consumption of a liver meal provide an additional rationale for caution against high vitamin A intake during pregnancy."​

- Vitamin A supplementation increases ratios of proinflammatory to anti-inflammatory cytokine responses in pregnancy and lactation

@Orion and @stargazer1111, were you pregnant during supplementation? Fetuses don't usually put an arm or a leg out, so be careful in your interpretations.

Last edited:

somuch4food

@Blossom I just found this interesting association between celiac and beta carotene. It's from the Lutein free diet booklet I have:

I do not always know if the child has had testing which shows elevated antibodies to gluten.
In most cases, removing Gluten-containing grains is a strong indication for most people with
autism. There is a high rate of carotenemia among people with celiac disease, indicating a
correlation between gluten intolerance and beta-carotene intolerance.

Yi at LDT

Tried carotenoids again today. Pesto from a friends garden last night, woke at 4:30am itching from head to toe. Then a drink coloured with black carrot extract this morning.

Feeling absolutely terrible. No energy, back to my old self...

Still havnt't tried eggs, liver or butter. Eye redness comes back every morning and is concerning.

somuch4food

Tried carotenoids again today. Pesto from a friends garden last night, woke at 4:30am itching from head to toe. Then a drink coloured with black carrot extract this morning.

Feeling absolutely terrible. No energy, back to my old self...

Still havnt't tried eggs, liver or butter. Eye redness comes back every morning and is concerning.

Egg yolks have a lot of carotenoids. They wouldn't be the first I'd reintroduce if you reacted to pesto.

tankasnowgod

Agreed. I've got a thing about eggs at the moment, I wonder if you could farm lowish VA eggs

Low VA, maybe, but very low Beta Carotene, yes. I forget who, but earlier in the thread, someone mentioned feeding liver to chickens in the winter (not much plant food available for them), and the yolks were not yellow.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It seems like I tolerate 1 tbsp chicken liver fine which is 50% of my RDA for VA. 2 tbsps gave me some mild symptoms that I described in a previous post but I didn’t notice anything negative or positive from 1 tbsp.
I tried 2 ounces of goat cheese yesterday which is 30% of my RDA and tolerated that well too. I bought some goat milk kefir today and plan to test that next.

somuch4food

It seems like I tolerate 1 tbsp chicken liver fine which is 50% of my RDA for VA. 2 tbsps gave me some mild symptoms that I described in a previous post but I didn’t notice anything negative or positive from 1 tbsp.
I tried 2 ounces of goat cheese yesterday which is 30% of my RDA and tolerated that well too. I bought some goat milk kefir today and plan to test that next.

That's great news! Do you plan to trial carotenoids at some point?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's great news! Do you plan to trial carotenoids at some point?
I don’t have any plans for trialing carotenoids anytime soon. I’m thinking they are more of an issue for me. My genetic raw data showed I’m a poor converter. It seems like I was overloaded with preformed A from supplements and food when I started the A depletion but I feel that’s now resolved. I’m not going to go overboard with my consumption though. I plan on staying well below my RDA and will continue to avoid A fortified foods.

yerrag

I tried staying off food rich in Vitamin A for a month at least. I noticed my heart rate going down to 56 waking up and at most 62 during the day. I went back to eating mussels, oysters, and internal organs and my heart rate went higher to as much as 77 during the day.

I guess I'm using up plenty vitamin A in tropical weather especially at the height of summer months.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I tried staying off food rich in Vitamin A for a month at least. I noticed my heart rate going down to 56 waking up and at most 62 during the day. I went back to eating mussels, oysters, and internal organs and my heart rate went higher to as much as 77 during the day.

I guess I'm using up plenty vitamin A in tropical weather especially at the height of summer months.
That’s interesting. Did you notice anything else?

yerrag

That’s interesting. Did you notice anything else?
I started to sneeze a bit, but not yet to a point where I'd have allergic rhinitis. But having not sneezed for a while, I took it as a sign that were my body to stay at a low metabolic rate, I may begin to develop allergies. I think that if I let this go on, I would see lowered immunity as well. But since I'm aware of the signs, I had to put a stop to it. So I thought about what may have caused this change in me, and I figured it would have to be my avoidance of vitamin A-rich foods. I would then start to see my heart rate pick up, and my sensitivity to allergens decrease.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I started to sneeze a bit, but not yet to a point where I'd have allergic rhinitis. But having not sneezed for a while, I took it as a sign that were my body to stay at a low metabolic rate, I may begin to develop allergies. I think that if I let this go on, I would see lowered immunity as well. But since I'm aware of the signs, I had to put a stop to it. So I thought about what may have caused this change in me, and I figured it would have to be my avoidance of vitamin A-rich foods. I would then start to see my heart rate pick up, and my sensitivity to allergens decrease.
Thanks for your reply. My immune system seemed to be lowered too especially after the 6 month mark. That makes sense because it’s helping with autoimmune disease but I think it might be unwise in some situations to persist in staying too low in A for too long. That’s just my thoughts and opinion at this point of which I might end up changing later on. :)

tankasnowgod

The difference in heart rate would be in line with this study, that showed Vitamin A lowered TSH, and seemed to increase T4 to T3 conversion.

Amazoniac

For 'fasting blood draws' (!):

- Circulating Endogenous Retinoic Acid Concentrations among Participants Enrolled in a Randomized Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial of Retinyl Palmitate

upload_2019-4-24_19-43-40.png

upload_2019-4-24_19-43-47.png

upload_2019-4-24_19-44-0.png

--
Mentioned on the other thread:

- Dietary calcium impairs tomato lycopene bioavailability in healthy humans

"In order to assess the effect of Ca on LYC bioavailability, we measured the postprandial plasma LYC response to two LYC-rich test meals, separated by at least 3 weeks, and which contained either no supplement or a supplement that provided 500mg Ca as calcium carbonate (Cacit 500®; Warner Chilcott). This dose of Ca is about half the RDA for a healthy male adult(27)."

"The test meal provided 19 (SEM 1·3) mg (all-E)-LYC in 40-g tomato paste. The tomato paste (triple concentrated, refractive index 30·8° Brix), which came from the same barrel, was prepared using a cold-break process by Conserve de France S.A. The meal also contained 90-g cooked pork meat, 80-g pasta (dry weight; Lustucru® torti), 10-g olive oil and 250-ml mineral water (Volvic, which provided about 2·5-mg Ca and in which the effervescent supplement of calcium carbonate was mixed)."

upload_2019-4-24_19-44-43.png

"Mean AUC of the postprandial plasma LYC responses
obtained after intake of either the control or the calcium-supplemented meal."​

Lynne

I don’t have any plans for trialing carotenoids anytime soon. I’m thinking they are more of an issue for me. My genetic raw data showed I’m a poor converter. It seems like I was overloaded with preformed A from supplements and food when I started the A depletion but I feel that’s now resolved. I’m not going to go overboard with my consumption though. I plan on staying well below my RDA and will continue to avoid A fortified foods.

I plan to do the same after 6months low A, but will be monitoring my (suspected) A-related issues closely. I'm happy to be low carotenoid indefiinitely if I can have some moderate retinol foods.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals