Low Toxin Diet Grant Genereux's Theory Of Vitamin A Toxicity

Louise

Summary:
-Modified fasting doing basically protein +Minerals/vitamins.
-Eat as much proteins in grams as your weight in pounds (!) to create choline
-Animal protein>vegetable
-Eat liver and eggs
-Lose weight rapidly, consume 3-6 cups of dark leafy greens per day for the folate...can consume methylfolate if you can't do the greens or legumes.
-Add starch and fat in based on if you need it yada yada.
-Chris is looking slightly less greasy than usual

This is a comment Grant made in response to one of CM's videos (maybe it was the one you posted).

Editing to add that I am not Judy who he is replying to on his discussion board.
"Hi Judy,

I just watched his video. He’s certainly a huge proponent of vitamin A. It is scary to hear about how much he’s been consuming, and it’s extremely concerning to think that he has a big audience and is giving that same advice to others.

Since he’s aware that so many people now have NAFLD, and that condition is associated with all kinds of other poor health issues, I wonder what he would make of this HHS patent where they induce fatty liver in animals just using retinoic acid.

US4649040A - Therapy for retinoid pathogenesis - Google Patents

The present invention discloses a pharmaceutical composition and a method of treating retinoid induced pathogenesis. The pathological effect of retinoid is ameliorated by a suitable dose of a rescuing agent selected from the group consisting of choline chloride, methionine, betaine, biotin and inositol, the rescuing agent having the property of preventing formation of fatty liver.

Obviously, the root cause of the fatty liver disease is not a choline deficiency, rather that the choline etc. is being exhausted due to the VA toxicity of retinoic acid. And, not surprisingly, the substances in their “pharmaceutical composition” are all readily available from food sources.

Of course, there are other studies showing that just vitamin A (not even retinoic acid) causes fatty liver and cirrhosis, such as this one:

Hypervitaminosis A-induced liver fibrosis: stellate cell activation and daily dose consumption.

Hypervitaminosis A-induced liver fibrosis: stellate cell activation and daily dose consumption. - PubMed - NCBI

I wonder if there’s anything we can do to have Chris re-evaluate his position?"

tankasnowgod

Of course, there are other studies showing that just vitamin A (not even retinoic acid) causes fatty liver and cirrhosis, such as this one:

Hypervitaminosis A-induced liver fibrosis: stellate cell activation and daily dose consumption.

Hypervitaminosis A-induced liver fibrosis: stellate cell activation and daily dose consumption. - PubMed - NCBI

By my count, this is now the third time that Grant has misrepresented a study. This is an observational study, so it couldn't show that "Vitamin A causes Fatty Liver and cirrhosis." They also only studied 9 patients out a series of 41. Why did they study less than 25% of the patients out of a total pool? Did they do this deliberately to skew their results?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Amazoniac

Eat as much proteins in grams as your weight in pounds (!) to create choline
It isn't too extreme, it's what Rakesh suggests as 30% or so of energy as protein (but 10-15% being collagen).

For those that are interested, there's some discussion here:
- Treatment Of Cirrhosis Of The Liver By A Nutritious Diet And Supplements Rich In Vitamin B Complex

upload_2019-4-16_13-2-26.png

Of course it's far more complicated than this.

Various fortified foods and supplements provide an abundance of B-vitamins and yet quite often little to no choline. We have an example here with @haidut's Energin.

@Mito, don't mind Tarmander's last comment on your skin with a sarcastic tone, that's his way of manifesting affection.

- Fatty Pancreas: Should We Be Concerned?

This is a comment Grant made in response to one of CM's videos (maybe it was the one you posted).

Editing to add that I am not Judy who he is replying to on his discussion board.
"Hi Judy,

I just watched his video. He’s certainly a huge proponent of vitamin A. It is scary to hear about how much he’s been consuming, and it’s extremely concerning to think that he has a big audience and is giving that same advice to others.

Since he’s aware that so many people now have NAFLD, and that condition is associated with all kinds of other poor health issues, I wonder what he would make of this HHS patent where they induce fatty liver in animals just using retinoic acid.

US4649040A - Therapy for retinoid pathogenesis - Google Patents

The present invention discloses a pharmaceutical composition and a method of treating retinoid induced pathogenesis. The pathological effect of retinoid is ameliorated by a suitable dose of a rescuing agent selected from the group consisting of choline chloride, methionine, betaine, biotin and inositol, the rescuing agent having the property of preventing formation of fatty liver.

Obviously, the root cause of the fatty liver disease is not a choline deficiency, rather that the choline etc. is being exhausted due to the VA toxicity of retinoic acid. And, not surprisingly, the substances in their “pharmaceutical composition” are all readily available from food sources.

I wonder if there’s anything we can do to have Chris re-evaluate his position?"
How could poisonoic acid (that wasn't supplemented in brutal amounts) be more demanding on choline than poisonol if you can't even store it? It can only signal storage, but you'd need to have constant elevated levels for this to become abnormal, and then what's driving this elevation to begin with?

If there's something depleting choline, why not also question the reason for poison/"vitamin" A accumulation instead of labeling it toxic or blaming it all on excessive intake?

Cirion

So this is where I am confused. Specifically, protein (not talking about vitamin A per-se). On the one hand, there is the claim that high protein is beneficial for the liver, then there are others (especially among the vegan communities) that show that high protein intake is inflammatory to the body, dehydrates the body also, promotes high blood pressure etc... - which even RP says to a degree, when he discusses tryptophan and other detrimental AA's. So which is it? I know I myself don't do well when I consistently have high protein. I am sure there's probably some middle ground, but I think 1 gram per lb of body weight is just too much based upon my experience and research. My gut tells me no more than half a gram per lb of body weight is truly necessary. And even that is probably generous.

somuch4food

How could poisonoic acid (that wasn't supplemented in brutal amounts) be more demanding on choline than poisonol if you can't even store it? It can only signal storage, but you'd need to have constant elevated levels for this to happen, and then what's driving this elevation to begin with?

If there's something depleting choline, why not also question the reason for poison/"vitamin" A accumulation instead of labeling it toxic or blaming it all on excessive intake?

Because he's got tunnel vision on depletion and elimination of a poison. He's not looking at a broader approach of supporting the proper metabolism of the said poison.

So this is where I am confused. Specifically, protein (not talking about vitamin A per-se). On the one hand, there is the claim that high protein is beneficial for the liver, then there are others (especially among the vegan communities) that show that high protein intake is inflammatory to the body, dehydrates the body also, promotes high blood pressure etc... - which even RP says to a degree, when he discusses tryptophan and other detrimental AA's. So which is it? I know I myself don't do well when I consistently have high protein. I am sure there's probably some middle ground, but I think 1 gram per lb of body weight is just too much based upon my experience and research.

I think it depends on individuals and what your digestion can actually handle. I've switched to eating as much animal proteins as I crave without feeling heavy/bloated. There are days when having meat sounds awesome and others when I feel like I don't want any at all. I don't think I would be able to reach 1 gram per lb a day without feeling bad from bloating and insulin issues.

I think both approaches can work given the right balance from the rest of the diet. I think I could handle meat better by lowering starch, but I wouldn't enjoy my meals as much. I really love my starch. It's a dance between all dietary factors, there's nothing set in stone.

Do you find yourself craving meat on your new diet? If not, then I guess you have enough proteins atm.

Cirion

@somuch4food

I am re-evaluating my stance on protein slightly since starting my vegan-inspired diet. I think some animal protein *may* be needed now, and I figured I would converge on this stance, BUT I do think I had too much before. I have since re-introduced some beef, but a much lower amount. I think the sweet spot is indeed about 50% of what I was having or 0.5 gram per lb of body weight. If I have more than this, I find myself disgusted by the thought of meat, if I have less, I start to feel off and a kind of dull somewhat insatiable kind of feeling to my gut. 8 oz of meat a day seems to be enough, 16 oz was too much.

Nstocks

@somuch4food

I am re-evaluating my stance on protein slightly since starting my vegan-inspired diet. I think some animal protein *may* be needed now, and I figured I would converge on this stance, BUT I do think I had too much before. I have since re-introduced some beef, but a much lower amount. I think the sweet spot is indeed about 50% of what I was having or 0.5 gram per lb of body weight. If I have more than this, I find myself disgusted by the thought of meat, if I have less, I start to feel off and a kind of dull somewhat insatiable kind of feeling to my gut. 8 oz of meat a day seems to be enough, 16 oz was too much.

Where else are you getting protein from, besides beef?

Amazoniac

InChristAlone

By my count, this is now the third time that Grant has misrepresented a study. This is an observational study, so it couldn't show that "Vitamin A causes Fatty Liver and cirrhosis." They also only studied 9 patients out a series of 41. Why did they study less than 25% of the patients out of a total pool? Did they do this deliberately to skew their results?
This is the long list of symptoms, fatty liver is on there.
Neurological / mental / emotional symptoms:

• insomnia
  • mental dullness (many people call this "brain fog")
  • depression
  • anxiety
  • irritability
  • malaise (general feeling of discomfort, illness, or uneasiness)
  • lethargy (a lack of energy and enthusiasm)
  • confusion
  • drowsiness
  • vertigo
  • cranial nerve palsies (lack of proper nerve function)
  • suicidal ideation
  • seizures
  • polar hysteria aka arctic hysteria aka transitional madness aka pibloktoq (compared to schizophrenia in the literature)
Skin/dermatological symptoms:

• dry skin
  • pruritis (itching)
  • skin rash(es)
  • scaly skin
  • dermatitis (a condition of the skin in which it becomes red, swollen, and sore, sometimes with small blisters)
  • erythema (redness to the skin)
  • brittle nails
  • excessive sweating
  • hyperpigmentation (patches of skin become darker in color than the normal surrounding skin)
  • seborrhoea (flaky scales of greasy skin)
  • petechiae (pinpoint, round spots that appear on the skin that appear red, brown or purple)
  • cheilosis (painful inflammation and cracking of the corners of the mouth)
  • skin fissures (deep cracks in the skin)
  • spider veins (aka spider angioma, nevus araneus, spider nevus, vascular spider, spider telangiectasia, spider nevus)
  • skin desquamation (skin peeling, skin shedding)
  • excess collagen production (keloids are one example of this process)
Musculoskeletal symptoms:

• fatigue
  • decreased muscular coordination, lack of coordination
  • muscle stiffness
  • muscle ache(s)/pain(s)
  • joint pain(s)
  • bone pain(s)
  • edema (swelling)
  • hyperostosis (excessive growth or thickening of bone tissue)
Hair symptoms:

• alopecia (hair loss, hair thinning)
  • coarse hair
Dental symptoms:

• dry mouth
  • gingivitis (inflammation of the gums)
  • bleeding gums
  • sore mouth
Gastrointestinal / digestive symptoms:

• polydipsia (increased thirst)
  • dryness of mucous membranes
  • anorexia (loss of appetite)
  • abdominal discomfort or pain
  • diarrhea
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • inability to gain weight
  • undesired weight loss
Visual/eye symptoms:

• blurred vision
  • diplopia (double vision)
  • photophobia (intolerance to light especially, painful sensitiveness to strong light)
  • conjunctivitis (pinkeye, an inflammation of the conjunctiva)
  • exophthalmos (abnormal protrusion of the eyeball or eyeballs)
  • papilloedema (swelling of the optic disc)
Hormonal & menstrual issues:

• menstrual abnormalities
  • hypomenorrhea (short or scanty periods)
Immune system symptoms:

• fever
  • exanthema (a skin rash accompanying a disease or fever)
Head-related symptoms:

• headache (can be severe)
  • migraine (with or without aura)
  • epistaxis (nosebleeds)
  • elevated CerebroSpinal Fluid pressure (CSF)
  • idiopathic intracranial hypertension (aka pseudotumor cerebri, aka "high blood pressure inside the skull")
  • bulging of the fontanelle in infants (as a result of increased intracranial pressure)
Blood/hematology issues:

• anemia (low red blood cells, hemoglobin, or hematocrit)
  • leukopenia (low white blood cells, often found in autoimmune conditions)
  • leukocytosis (increase in the number of white cells in the blood, often found in active infection)
  • thrombocytopenia (low blood platelets)
Organ-related issues:

• liver blood test abnormalities (bilirubin, AST, ALT, GGT, alkaline phosphatase, etc.)
  • fatty liver aka Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
  • ascites (abdominal swelling from excess fluid build-up)
  • liver injury
  • jaundice
  • fibrosis (thickening and scarring of connective tissues in the liver)
  • esophageal varices (abnormal, enlarged veins in the tube that connects the throat and stomach)
  • enlargement of the liver aka hepatomegaly
  • enlargement of the spleen aka splenomegaly
  • portal hypertension
  • cirrhosis
Kidney/urinary-related issues:

• dysuria (painful or difficult urination)
Specific to children:

• craniotabes (softening or thinning of the skull in infants and children)
  • slow growth
  • premature epiphyseal closure (growth plates closing too early)
Severe acute (short-term) overdose symptoms:

• increased cerebral spinal fluid pressure
  • progressive drowsiness
  • stupor (a state of near-unconsciousness or insensibility)
  • ataxia (the loss of full control of bodily movements, limited body movement)
  • coma
Mechanisms:

• bioenergetics state dysfunction
  • redox impairment
  • altered cellular signaling
  • cell death or cell proliferation
Reference links:

InChristAlone

He said he sweats when he does the videos.

Cirion

I dunno I am starting to think it's oils/fats in general that cause the greasiness. I just realized a few days ago that my hair seems smooth and less greasy and I don't even need to wash it anymore to retain that smoothness. I've been eating very low fat for a few weeks now.

It's true also I have been eating low-ish VA also, but I haven't gone as extreme as some people in this thread, I still have some. Then again, eating low fat would insulate you from negative effects of excess VA anyway, since less would be absorbed.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I dunno I am starting to think it's oils/fats in general that cause the greasiness. I just realized a few days ago that my hair seems smooth and less greasy and I don't even need to wash it anymore to retain that smoothness. I've been eating very low fat for a few weeks now.

It's true also I have been eating low-ish VA also, but I haven't gone as extreme as some people in this thread, I still have some. Then again, eating low fat would insulate you from negative effects of excess VA anyway, since less would be absorbed.
I haven't changed my fat intake but it could still be a contributing factor for some people.

Amazoniac

But why is he so greasy? I really wonder. He always has that sheen to him.
Having oily skin from failing to start poison/"vitamin" A detox in 2018 is zo 2018. As unfashionable as experiencing hyperpoisonosis A because of hyperpetrified kidneys due to hypervenomosis D.

- Hypercalcemia, hypervitaminosis A and 3-epi-25-OH-D-3 levels after consumption of an "over the counter" vitamin D remedy. A case report [25(OH)D3: 400 ng/dl]

- Valproic Acid Downregulates RBP4 and Elicits Hypervitaminosis A-Teratogenesis—A Kinetic Analysis on Retinol/Retinoic Acid Homeostatic System

Cirion

Hmm perhaps that's it! I did recently quit VD supplementation as well, almost the same time I started eating low fat.

Lynne

• insomnia
  • depression
  • anxiety
  • irritability
  • confusion
  • drowsiness
  • vertigo
  • suicidal ideation
  • seizures
  • polar hysteria aka arctic hysteria aka transitional madness aka pibloktoq (compared to schizophrenia in the literature)

• dry skin
  • pruritis (itching)
  • skin rash(es)
  • scaly skin
  • dermatitis (a condition of the skin in which it becomes red, swollen, and sore, sometimes with small blisters)
  • brittle nails
  • excessive sweating
  • hyperpigmentation (patches of skin become darker in color than the normal surrounding skin)
  • petechiae (pinpoint, round spots that appear on the skin that appear red, brown or purple)
  • spider veins (aka spider angioma, nevus araneus, spider nevus, vascular spider, spider telangiectasia, spider nevus)

• fatigue
  • muscle stiffness
  • muscle ache(s)/pain(s)
  • joint pain(s)
  • bone pain(s)
  • edema (swelling)
Hair symptoms:

• coarse hair
Dental symptoms:

• dry mouth
  • bleeding gums
  • sore mouth

• diarrhea
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • undesired weight loss
Visual/eye symptoms:

• blurred vision
  • photophobia (intolerance to light especially, painful sensitiveness to strong light)

Immune system symptoms:

• fever
Head-related symptoms:

• epistaxis (nosebleeds)
  • idiopathic intracranial hypertension (aka pseudotumor cerebri, aka "high blood pressure inside the skull")
  • bulging of the fontanelle in infants (as a result of increased intracranial pressure)
Blood/hematology issues:

• leukocytosis (increase in the number of white cells in the blood, often found in active infection)
Organ-related issues:

• liver blood test abnormalities (bilirubin, AST, ALT, GGT, alkaline phosphatase, etc.)
  • liver injury
  • jaundice
  • esophageal varices (abnormal, enlarged veins in the tube that connects the throat and stomach)
  • portal hypertension
  • cirrhosis

Specific to children:

• slow growth

• progressive drowsiness
  • coma
Mechanisms:

• redox impairment
Reference links:

My only sources of retinol and carotenoids in my life (that I know of) have been: 1 sml bottle of multivitamins; a few sml pots of supermarket anti-ageing moisturiser; and dietary sources (including liver meat only a few times and pate very occasionally), yet I've experienced around 95% of these at some time in the last decade or so (excluding the baby/child and severe acute sympt), and mostly over the last 7 years from when I started experimenting with paleo, carnivore, vegan or Peatish eating.

somuch4food

• insomnia
  • depression
  • anxiety
  • irritability
  • confusion
  • drowsiness
  • vertigo
  • suicidal ideation
  • seizures

• dry skin
  • pruritis (itching)
  • skin rash(es)
  • scaly skin
  • brittle nails
  • excessive sweating

• fatigue
  • muscle stiffness
  • muscle ache(s)/pain(s)
  • joint pain(s)
  • bone pain(s)
  • edema (swelling)
Hair symptoms:

• coarse hair
Dental symptoms:

• dry mouth
  • bleeding gums
  • sore mouth

• diarrhea
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • undesired weight loss
Visual/eye symptoms:

• blurred vision

Immune system symptoms:

• fever
Head-related symptoms:

• epistaxis (nosebleeds)
Blood/hematology issues:

Organ-related issues:

• liver injury
  • jaundice
  • portal hypertension
  • cirrhosis

Specific to children:

• slow growth

• progressive drowsiness
  • coma
Mechanisms:

• redox impairment
Reference links:

The suspicious thing about that list and any list of hypervitaminosis A or A deficiency is that I find it too far reaching. It seems to affect just about anything.

Most of these symptoms I associate with increased inflammation within my body, not necessarily from A.

I believe science is very wrong about vitamin A, at least in singling it out. There are other important pieces that must also play a role. I think vitamin A just accelerates anything going on in the body whether positive or negative by stimulating cells.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals