Glycine Dosage

Theo

Ray peat seems to like glycine.

So i purchased some Now brand tmg and the recommended dosage is 3 grams once or twice a day. Does that seem OK? Will that amount interfere or unbalance ?

javacody

Bump. I'd like to know as well.

Peata

I take 500 - 1500 mg. daily. The capsules are 500 mg. I pop one around eating meat or taking something that could hurt my stomach, like aspirin. I read 1,000 - 1,500 daily is good for at least a base amount.

Peata

Post from Haidut last year.

Glycine, novel anti-inflammatory agent

"In Russia, glycine tablets often in the 50mg-100mg range are sold as prescription drug for dementia, liver problems, and all sorts of other ailments that refuse to succumb to the official "treatment" course. In fact, it seems that glycine has a very low "saturation" point in terms of benefit for some IRI conditions (small intestine in this case). Here is a quote from the study above:

"...Again in experiments in rats, we recently demonstrated that even a very low glycine dose (5, 10, 20 or 75 mg·kg−1, total doses, infused i.v. before ischaemia and during reperfusion) effectively diminished ischaemia–reperfusion injury; already upon infusion of 10 mg glycine per kilogram, maximal protection was obtained (Petrat et al., 2011)."

Assuming bioavailability conversion ratio of 10:1 for IV:eek:ral administration of glycine, this means that in humans a dose of 1,000mg - 1,500mg is all you need. This is easily achievable with only a teaspoon of gelatin (5g, of which 30% is glycine) or 2-3 capsules of isolated glycine from a health store (they most often sell 500mg capsules)."

mt_dreams

TMG seems like it's a lot more expensive than just regular glycine. What's the benefit of taking TMG over glycine?

javacody

Methyl donors if you are an undermethylator. But I think Ray recommends against them.

Makrosky

Just to make it clear : TMG is not glycine. It becomes glycine while donating methyl groups.

You are taking a different substance. Let us know how it goes!

OP
T

Theo

After i started taking it i learned about a study that showed betaine anhydrous..ie TMG.... increased muscle mass by 4 pounds in 6 weeks..as well as a body fat reduction of 7%. Both of interest to an aging person like myself.
Dosage was 1.25 grams 2 times a day.

This was reported in "The Journal of The International Society of Sports Nutrition" . 2013

I think it's making me stronger ..hard to tell though because my cycling mileage is way up due to the good weather.

I will be ordering great lakes gelatin so that should cover the glycine.

Thanks for the clarification !

Zachs

Joel Brine, who wrote a series of articles on the benefits of glycine reccomend 8g a day total.

Gelatin is about 29% Glycine so you need approx. 27.5 grams of Gelatin to get 8 grams of Glycine.Two tablespoon is approx. 24 grams so if they are slightly rounded tablespoons I'd say yes.

YuraCZ

Zachs said:
Joel Brine, who wrote a series of articles on the benefits of glycine reccomend 8g a day total.

He has done research on glycine requirement? If not I will stick with this.

"A French-Spanish research group, in their review article (2009), wrote that humans can usually synthesize 3 grams of glycine, and they usually get 1.5-3.0 additional grams from the diet, so the total yield is 4.5-6 grams.

On the other hand, they stated that this amount doesn't satisfy the daily need of 10-13 grams for collagen synthesis in various tissues (bone, muscle, skin), and therefore glycine should be considered a semi-essential amino acid."

Zachs

YuraCZ said:
Zachs said:

He has done research on glycine requirement? If not I will stick with this.

"A French-Spanish research group, in their review article (2009), wrote that humans can usually synthesize 3 grams of glycine, and they usually get 1.5-3.0 additional grams from the diet, so the total yield is 4.5-6 grams.

On the other hand, they stated that this amount doesn't satisfy the daily need of 10-13 grams for collagen synthesis in various tissues (bone, muscle, skin), and therefore glycine should be considered a semi-essential amino acid."

No he just wrote articles, no research done.... :P

Yes of course he did research, most of his work revolves around glycine and inflammation. Google his 4 part article series, it's a good read. His main argument for 8g of glycine a day is that is how much extra the average person eating an omnivore diet would need to counteract the loss of glycine from demethylation.

Also your above quote says that a range of 4-8.5g a day supplemented is optimal.

OP
T

Theo

I googled Joel Brind glycine...and got quite a harvest of interviews and articles. I like this one.

http://www.theguthealthprotocol.com/wp/ ... regulator/

Great infos !

The name of the article states something interesting :

glycine : the most important inflammation regulator....

I can't wait for my Great Lakes gelatin to arrive. In the meantime I have some Knox gelatin.

Joel Brind recommends 10 grams / day of glycine for anyone with gut issues. A compromised gut is almost a sign of the times. I will aim for 10 grams a day ..even if that means adding a little glycine powder to my gelatin drink.

I'll mix the glycine powder with gelatine or other food matrix so as to avoid the isolated amino consumption. I could be out on left field on that. Ray Peat is not the only one who doesn't like the idea of taking amino acids out of context or separately.

mt_dreams

Theo said:
I'll mix the glycine powder with gelatine or other food matrix so as to avoid the isolated amino consumption. I could be out on left field on that. Ray Peat is not the only one who doesn't like the idea of taking amino acids out of context or separately.

There was a previous forum topic that dealt with this. From what I can remember, it's not about taking the amino's with food necessarily, rather that you have food at the end stage of stomach digestion when you take the amino acids. This is b/c the individual amino acids will digest very quickly, much faster than any food you eat with the supplement. So you want to have food that's just on the verge of being digested when you take the individual amino's. I believe this will be important regarding the amino's that have an effect on dopamine/serotonin, so I'm not sure if glycine falls into this category.

DaveFoster

Hugh Johnson said:
post 91796 I ordered 4 kg. I'm going to start with 40g, with my gelatin should hit 60g+,
Chance of avoiding schizophrenia: OVER 9000%.

I'm going to be trying a dose of 3 g per day in milk with my other aminos. 10 g seems to be a dosage that haidut recommends to achieve favorable effects on respiration in healthy individuals.

If anyone can chime in, that'd be good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hugh Johnson

DaveFoster said:
post 117792
Hugh Johnson said:
post 91796 I ordered 4 kg. I'm going to start with 40g, with my gelatin should hit 60g+,

I'm going to be trying a dose of 3 g per day in milk with my other aminos. 10 g seems to be a dosage that haidut recommends to achieve favorable effects on respiration in healthy individuals.

My brain function inproved quite a lot when I did that.

Last edited by a moderator:

whit

I would advise taking glycine after a meal. I've experienced some moderate discomfort from taking it first thing in the morning by itself.
With a meal however only noticed good benefits.

When I took the capsules no adverse effects on an empty stomach. The gelatin capsule was likely the difference.

thegiantess

Interesting thread. I wonder though how those of you taking glycine during the day time and/or taking really high doses like 8g don't fall asleep?! I take glycine at night, 1000mg and it knocks me out. I would love to be able to take more, but wondering how to counter that affect?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals