Glycine Dosage

BastiFuntasty

Interesting thread. I wonder though how those of you taking glycine during the day time and/or taking really high doses like 8g don't fall asleep?! I take glycine at night, 1000mg and it knocks me out. I would love to be able to take more, but wondering how to counter that affect?
I am not an expert, but I think that's a pretty good sign for an overall comfortable inhibitory neurotransmitter level status.

Atalanta

Interesting thread. I wonder though how those of you taking glycine during the day time and/or taking really high doses like 8g don't fall asleep?! I take glycine at night, 1000mg and it knocks me out. I would love to be able to take more, but wondering how to counter that affect?

How do you take your glycine and how close to bedtime?

thegiantess

How do you take your glycine and how close to bedtime?

In capsule form about 30-45 min before bed. I realize this is when I am most tired anyway so maybe it's just having a compounding effect. I have taken it a few times during the day and it makes me feel extremely relaxed/sleepy , almost body buzz like. That's 1000mg dose.

Last edited:

whit

In capsule form about 30-45 min before bed. I realize this is when I am most tired anyway so maybe it's just having a compounding effect. I have taken it a few times during the day and it makes me feel extremely relaxed/sleepy , almost body buzz like. That's 1000mg dose.

What brand are you using?
The relaxed feeling is a good sign for me but if it's too much I just back off on dosage. Some supplements can be microdosed. Everybody is different on storage so dosage can vary broadly. Women for instance tend to hold on to glycogen better than men. Its likely because women are so cool they make people.

thegiantess

What brand are you using?
The relaxed feeling is a good sign for me but if it's too much I just back off on dosage. Some supplements can be microdosed. Everybody is different on storage so dosage can vary broadly. Women for instance tend to hold on to glycogen better than men. Its likely because women are so cool they make people.

Currently now foods, but I'm switching to pure encapsulations. I think I'll experiment with splitting up doses many times over day and see if I get used to it.

snowboard111

Anything between 5g and 10g per day (some skipping day). Put it in juice and drink it on multiple occasion, the relaxed feeling is much less pronounced like that (if any)...
But, I'm quite a big guy so there's probably no need for that much.

Btw, "Its likely because women are so cool they make people." :D:D

AJA

If I take it with food, it does not sedate. I prefer 3 grams with each meal. A total of 9 grams per day. Glycine is one of the safest aminos.

ElenaB

Will 2 tbsp of gelatin cover the 8 gram dosage ?
my collagen peptides (which is what it seems many people, including RP, are referring to as gelatin, which is slightly different) says that per 11g serving of collagen there is 2,330mg (2.33g) of glycine. Of all the amino acids in collagen it's the highest (almost twice as much as proline, which is the second highest). Curious where the 8 gram dose came From, is that from Ray Peat? is that for those of us with inflamed intestines, etc?

Also, I have read that taking amino acids by themselves (separate from a large array of other amino acids) can be damaging, so getting it from collagen and other sources with other amino acids is definitely better, although I don't have any science quotes to back me up on this at the moment. Seems that having 3 and a half, 11 gram servings of collagen per day is a great way to get 8g of glycine along with many other important amino acids, or mix this with other sources. Hi had 2 servings in my smoothie this morning, so it's not too hard to hit 8 grams I think.

ElenaB

Question!
Why are people taking pure glycine supplements when you can easily get 8 grams of glycine in 3.5 servings (servings of about 11 gr, or 1.5 tablespoons) of collagen powder (what many are referring to as gelatin)?

Is there a benefit to taking free form glycine (separate from a food source and separate from other amino acids) that I'm not aware of? If so I'd love to know, please share!
Thanks

Dutchie

Question!
Why are people taking pure glycine supplements when you can easily get 8 grams of glycine in 3.5 servings (servings of about 11 gr, or 1.5 tablespoons) of collagen powder (what many are referring to as gelatin)?

Is there a benefit to taking free form glycine (separate from a food source and separate from other amino acids) that I'm not aware of? If so I'd love to know, please share!
Thanks
Not everyone tolerates gelatin well.
For instance gelatin is high in histamines,so when one is dealing with histamine intolerance, one might be better off with some glycine powder.

ElenaB

Not everyone tolerates gelatin well.
For instance gelatin is high in histamines,so when one is dealing with histamine intolerance, one might be better off with some glycine powder.
oh wow, didn't know that! thank you, that has been a missing piece for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals