The Uncommon Amino Acids: (alanine, Hydroxproline, Proline, Serine, And Threonine)

DaveFoster

On the forum, we've established many benefits of supplementing with various amino acids, (where most of the credit goes to haidut), and which includes BCAA's, tyrosine, taurine, lysine, and glycine.

Obviously, we know that some amino acids lead to the accumulation of negative byproducts in the body, such as tryptophan, cysteine, and methionine, among others.

What about the other ones?

- Alanine
- Hydroxyproline
- Proline
- Serine
- Threonine

The body hydroxylates proline to form hydroxyproline, so supplementing the latter should cover the former in the same way as suppelmenting tyrosine covers phenylalanine.

For alanine, beta alanine comes to mind.

For serine and threonine, I have absolutely no idea. Does anybody know anything about these aminos, including effects and dosages? I'll do some research of my own, but it's interesting that serine and threonine seem to compete for absorption, so there undoubtedly exists an ideal balance between the two, much in the same way as BCAA's and tyrosine.

"The studies that found ergogenic benefit used 4g - 5g daily. It reacts with histidine in about 1:1 ratio, so if you can drop your histidine stores by 4g - 5g that would be almost depleting all of it. I know people who run a lot more after just 2g of beta alanine." - haidut on beta alanine

Last edited:

TreasureVibe

I wonder what threonine would do to the brains and body, since I have a magnesium L-threonate supplement at home.

tankasnowgod

On the forum, we've established many benefits of supplementing with various amino acids, (where most of the credit goes to haidut), and which includes BCAA's, tyrosine, taurine, lysine, and glycine.

Obviously, we know that some amino acids lead to the accumulation of negative byproducts in the body, such as tryptophan, cysteine, and methionine, among others.

What about the other ones?

- Alanine
- Hydroxyproline
- Proline
- Serine
- Threonine

The body hydroxylates proline to form hydroxyproline, so supplementing the latter should cover the former in the same way as suppelmenting tyrosine covers phenylalanine.

For alanine, beta alanine comes to mind.

For serine and threonine, I have absolutely no idea. Does anybody know anything about these aminos, including effects and dosages? I'll do some research of my own, but it's interesting that serine and threonine seem to compete for absorption, so there undoubtedly exists an ideal balance between the two, much in the same way as BCAA's and tyrosine.

"The studies that found ergogenic benefit used 4g - 5g daily. It reacts with histidine in about 1:1 ratio, so if you can drop your histidine stores by 4g - 5g that would be almost depleting all of it. I know people who run a lot more after just 2g of beta alanine." - haidut on beta alanine

I believe Serine is one of the first amino acids that gets converted to glycine, if glycine is in short supply. So, keeping glycine stores adequate should also ensure adequate serine. It's pretty abundant in food, and apparently can be synthesized from glycine, too. So, glycine supplementation or gelatin should ensure good levels of serine too.

Frankdee20

I believe Serine is one of the first amino acids that gets converted to glycine, if glycine is in short supply. So, keeping glycine stores adequate should also ensure adequate serine. It's pretty abundant in food, and apparently can be synthesized from glycine, too. So, glycine supplementation or gelatin should ensure good levels of serine too.

Yes, that makes sense as they both have actions on the NMDA receptors, but Sarcosine activates them. Glycine can inhibit or activate.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Interesting, thank you.

Frankdee20

The activity of NMDA receptor or only neurons? How does this work?

Glycine activates them and causes inhibition on Glutamate release, but it is also stimulatory in some instances. It is always inhibitory in the brain stem. Strychnine is a Glycine antagonist

ddjd

im also interested to know if L-Threonine is a beneficial amino acid from a peat perspective

Frankdee20

im also interested to know if L-Threonine is a beneficial amino acid from a peat perspective

Threonine or Theanine ? I can only speak for Theanine, but it’s related to Glutamine, and is supposed to shut off extra Glutamate

Frankdee20

THREONINE. not theanine

No clue, lol... Magnesium bonded to Threonine is very expensive and purported to be the only version to cross the blood brain barrier.... I doubt this, magnesium is a NMDA blocker

magnesiumania

I dont think hydroxyproline covers the need for unhydroxylated proline. I mean. Collagen is glycine, proline and hydroxyproline and you cant go back from hydroxyproline if you need proline, or?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals