General loss of appetite, silent reflux, positional stomach discomfort

drf

Forum Supporter
Hello all,

Long time lurker of the RP forums, but asking for help now due to the fact that I've been facing some recent GI problems.

I noticed all these symptoms came on very suddenly 4 weeks ago when I went out to a Chinese restaurant with some family members. Within a couple hours of eating, all these symptoms have come on and ultimately, failed to resolve. Over the past 2 weeks, I have noticed the symptoms aren't as bad, however I still have them, and they are particularly worse at night. In particular, I have to take several benadryl and tums to even fall asleep, since lying down exacerbates my stomach issues. Wondering if any Peaters would know what the cause is?

Symptoms:
General loss of appetite
Silent reflux ("globus" feeling in throat)
Have noticed my stools are "smaller" in diameter, but formed, 3x BM/day
Stomach bloating, "heaviness", cramps, (worse when lying down)

Diet:
Coconut oil
Coffee
Raw carrots
Ground beef 93/7 lean
Bone broth
Mashed potatoes
Ultra-pasteurized milk
Cottage Cheese
Vanilla Haagen Daaz

Supplements:
Magnesium
Vitamin D
Zinc w/copper
Vitamin K-2
Aspirin
DHEA

Most recent Labs/Testing:
H. pylori breath test - Negative
Celiac - Negative
TSH - 1.3 uIU/mL
WBC - 5.2
Potassium - 4.2 mmol/L
Sodium - 141 mmol/L

revenant

Does baking soda help the reflux? Sleeping on your left side with the head elevated helps if the acids are rising into your throat at night.

OP
D

drf

Forum Supporter
Does baking soda help the reflux? Sleeping on your left side with the head elevated helps if the acids are rising into your throat at night.

I have not, will try out tonight.

Any idea what would the underlying etiology be?

Wolf

Have you tried an H2 antagonist such as famotidine?

OP
D

drf

Forum Supporter
Have you tried an H2 antagonist such as famotidine?

I haven't as that would seem more of a band-aid solution? Not sure if famotidine long-term would be a viable option.

I'll also be trying out this low vit-A diet tomorrow and will report back.

Wolf

I haven't as that would seem more of a band-aid solution? Not sure if famotidine long-term would be a viable option.

I'll also be trying out this low vit-A diet tomorrow and will report back.
Famotidine has quite a few interesting effects beyond being a simple antacid. Haidut has posted here regarding those.
Additionally, I found it a useful bandaid temporarily while I rebuilt my body. Undoubtedly the acid reflux is likely causing sleep issues which in turn cause other issues which cause other issues…..

OP
D

drf

Forum Supporter
Famotidine has quite a few interesting effects beyond being a simple antacid. Haidut has posted here regarding those.
Additionally, I found it a useful bandaid temporarily while I rebuilt my body. Undoubtedly the acid reflux is likely causing sleep issues which in turn cause other issues which cause other issues…..
Did you have any issues with stomach discomfort/cramping/bloating when lying down as well? That's been the biggest reason I havent' been able to sleep well.

Wolf

Did you have any issues with stomach discomfort/cramping/bloating when lying down as well? That's been the biggest reason I havent' been able to sleep well.
Yes. Basically forced to lie on my left side with head slightly elevated for some time. Famotidine and Esophageal Guardian from Life Extension helped quite a bit while I fixed underlying issues from pushing myself too hard during my education.

Korven

Be careful with aspirin when you have issues with GERD or stomach ulcers issues, in my experience it can cause bad flareups and/or prevent healing.

Like Wolf said, Famotidine is okay as a short-term bandaid to get control of the reflux.

I have also found deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), Pylopass, L.reuteri yoghurt to be helpful for fixing GERD.

Korven

Unfortunately coffee can also be a culprit, it's a powerful gut irritant and you may want to cut that out for a few weeks to allow your stomach to settle down.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Symptoms:
General loss of appetite
Silent reflux ("globus" feeling in throat)
Have noticed my stools are "smaller" in diameter, but formed, 3x BM/day
Stomach bloating, "heaviness", cramps, (worse when lying down)
These all point to a cholestatic liver. You are taking in so many toxins your body is suppressing your appetite because its trying to save you.
Diet:
Coconut oil
Coffee
Raw carrots

Ground beef 93/7 lean
Bone broth
Mashed potatoes
Ultra-pasteurized milk
Cottage Cheese
Vanilla Haagen Daaz

Supplements:
Magnesium
Vitamin D
Zinc w/copper
Vitamin K-2
Aspirin
DHEA
I have bolded the toxic elements of your diet and supp stack.

Going on a low toxin and low "vitamin A" diet fixes this.

InChristAlone

I agree with @charlie, it's your diet and supps. And please don't listen to anyone who says to take drugs. It may work in an emergency, but it's kicking the can down the road. I did that for many yrs and nearly lost my ability to digest meat. One thing to do in the meantime is not to eat late. Also betaine hcl is way better symptom control than drugs and can kick start your digestion while you slowly make changes. Sounds like the Chinese food blocked up your liver :(

OP
D

drf

Forum Supporter
Thx for all the advice y'all, looks like I'll have to do a complete 180 on my diet/supps :ss

Will report back periodically, if/when I notice a relief in my symptoms.

Don

Thx for all the advice y'all, looks like I'll have to do a complete 180 on my diet/supps :ss

Will report back periodically, if/when I notice a relief in my symptoms.
I saw an interesting video by a low vit A guy and he was talking about all forms of GERD are from bile backing up into the stomach. LPR is actually thought to be bile salts/pepsin burning our throats not the acid. I like all the ideas on this thread so far. BE CAREFUL WITH FAMOTODINE !
Have you tried gargling alkaline water after each meal. It is a band aid but can help deactivate the bile pepsin in your throat. Charlie in here was talking about high copper levels and some forms of gerd, interesting because many high copper foods are on the dont eat if you have reflux type diets. I noticed for years starches help my LPR symptoms and recently realised (low A guys here and youtube) it could be because the fibre absorbs up the bile in my stomach.
I still think low thyroid could also be an issue, not saying to start taking any but another factor to consider. One last thing to consider is low stomach acid. Some of had good results with betaine hcl and also B1 and Niacin are worth looking at.

OP
D

drf

Forum Supporter
I saw an interesting video by a low vit A guy and he was talking about all forms of GERD are from bile backing up into the stomach. LPR is actually thought to be bile salts/pepsin burning our throats not the acid. I like all the ideas on this thread so far. BE CAREFUL WITH FAMOTODINE !
Have you tried gargling alkaline water after each meal. It is a band aid but can help deactivate the bile pepsin in your throat. Charlie in here was talking about high copper levels and some forms of gerd, interesting because many high copper foods are on the dont eat if you have reflux type diets. I noticed for years starches help my LPR symptoms and recently realised (low A guys here and youtube) it could be because the fibre absorbs up the bile in my stomach.
I still think low thyroid could also be an issue, not saying to start taking any but another factor to consider. One last thing to consider is low stomach acid. Some of had good results with betaine hcl and also B1 and Niacin are worth looking at.
I've just started the low vit A diet, today, have noticed some subtle improvements already. And looking into B1/niacin, but kinda freaked out about potential niacin flush, don't know how my body will react to that.

Don

I've just started the low vit A diet, today, have noticed some subtle improvements already. And looking into B1/niacin, but kinda freaked out about potential niacin flush, don't know how my body will react to that.
For sure taking things slow is perfect. I started with niacin with tiny tiny doses. I split the capsule open and only took a tiny amount to see how I reacted.

Wolf

Be careful with aspirin when you have issues with GERD or stomach ulcers issues, in my experience it can cause bad flareups and/or prevent healing.

Like Wolf said, Famotidine is okay as a short-term bandaid to get control of the reflux.

I have also found deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL), Pylopass, L.reuteri yoghurt to be helpful for fixing GERD.
DGL also helped me, but L Reuteri was hit or miss depending on gut motility. TTFD(thiamax) tended to help my gut motility so I would sporadically take some.

revenant

I have not, will try out tonight.

Any idea what would the underlying etiology be?

I think it's either a failing of the sphincter between the stomach and the esophagus, or SIBO, or a combination of both. You can neutralize the pepsin with alkaline water (i.e. baking soda in water) as someone suggested, by gargling or drinking it or both, but it is indeed a bandaid.

They say melatonin helps, and I think it might have helped me, at least the symptoms. Solving SIBO is complicated, but things that I found helpful were oregano oil and high doses of thiamine. If you get a detox reaction from oregano oil then you know it's killing off some bad bacteria.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
BE CAREFUL WITH FAMOTODINE !
Indeed, that stuff is evil. Regret having used it but the Ray Peat diet gave me such awful heartburn it was the only thing that was giving me relief at the time.
Solving SIBO is complicated,
No its not. A low "vitamin A" diet and low toxin diet easily fixes this. No need to complicate the uncomplicated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals