Gelatin makes me too tired

Gone Peating

Has anyone else had this issue and found a way to overcome it? It makes me drowsy even if I use just a teaspoon, and I also take it alongside coffee.

It has enormous benefits for my joint and muscle and skin health so I don't want to ditch it.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a way to overcome it? It makes me drowsy even if I use just a teaspoon, and I also take it alongside coffee.

It has enormous benefits for my joint and muscle and skin health so I don't want to ditch it.
Why not have it in the evening then? My husband does and gets wonderful sleep from it.

Apple

it is simple, gelatin has to be eaten with meat dishes to balance amino acids.
My energy drops instantly if I eat gelatin without meat.

tallglass13

I think Glycine is very much a relaxant and slows down the system, but not in a bad way. I have found the same groggy , tiredness feeling from broths and or straight up Gelatin. Gbold used to say it slowed thyroid. Maybe true.

Eberhardt

I seconed rince and re-peat
Yeah pairing it with protein and having it with a sugar source sounds like really good advice.
I second that. All protein should preferably be taken with adequate sugars as it triggers the bodys stressrespons if you dont- And I too find that it sits best combined with meat. I found out that more then 20g (powdered) a day doesnt do me good. But maybe 2 x 10 grams (I use ecological gelatin not hydrolized- its too refined and can cause issues for many - me included - and can have residues) a day taken with meat meals are ideal.

I also find that its important to have a good quality eco-fed gelatin not a commercial one and not broth as it can cause histamin reactions etc.

OP
G

Gone Peating

I second that. All protein should preferably be taken with adequate sugars as it triggers the bodys stressrespons if you dont- And I too find that it sits best combined with meat. I found out that more then 20g (powdered) a day doesnt do me good. But maybe 2 x 10 grams (I use ecological gelatin not hydrolized- its too refined and can cause issues for many - me included - and can have residues) a day taken with meat meals are ideal.

I also find that its important to have a good quality eco-fed gelatin not a commercial one and not broth as it can cause histamin reactions etc.
What is ecological gelatin?

Store bought broth is high in histamines being cooked for so long. I wonder how much gelatin is even in them being so watery. Here is a pic of my gelatinous beef bone broth, which I cook for only 4 to to 5 hours on the stove top with the lid off. The link below is the recipe to my gelatinous chicken broth that I cook for 3 hours. They both are FAR better than any store bought or powdered. I actually get a heavy metal reaction when I take the powdered a couple of days in a row. My arm goes numb in the night.

Attachments

• 20210217_162414.jpg
    20210217_162414.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 10

Eberhardt

Store bought broth is high in histamines being cooked for so long. I wonder how much gelatin is even in them being so watery. Here is a pic of my gelatinous beef bone broth, which I cook for only 4 to to 5 hours on the stove top with the lid off. The link below is the recipe to my gelatinous chicken broth that I cook for 3 hours. They both are FAR better than any store bought or powdered. I actually get a heavy metal reaction when I take the powdered a couple of days in a row. My arm goes numb in the night.

I dont use storebought (well I dont use any broth at all but no thats not why) - though I have bought storebought that is neither powdery or watery but made by a chef in the store. Same problem. Also made myself. Same problem - but my experience is in line with Peat as he says there are some broth benefits but aslo says anything above ...eh was it 20 min or 30?? starts making excessive histamin and it also breaks down the amino-acids making reduced and oxidated forms of them. I think its a bit individual how much one reacts though. I definetly cant take it.

I dont use storebought (well I dont use any broth at all but no thats not why) - though I have bought storebought that is neither powdery or watery but made by a chef in the store. Same problem. Also made myself. Same problem - but my experience is in line with Peat as he says there are some broth benefits but aslo says anything above ...eh was it 20 min or 30?? starts making excessive histamin and it also breaks down the amino-acids making reduced and oxidated forms of them. I think its a bit individual how much one reacts though. I definetly cant take it.

Attachments

• 20210617_130121.jpg
    20210617_130121.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Eberhardt

2? Yes that quote is from an old KMUD interview but its not the only time he mentions it though but I heard thqt one there. I think he also mentions it somewhere else but now its all a bit foggy. But the quote is from KMUD :) Found a quote saying roughly the same in the email exchange depository too "[How long to cook broths?] It's mostly for the attached cartilage, ligaments, and tendons, and most of the gelatin is released in 3 or 4 hours. Excess cooking oxidizes nutrients, especially if there's marrow in the bone. " Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

2? Yes that quote is from an old KMUD interview but its not the only time he mentions it though but I heard thqt one there. I think he also mentions it somewhere else but now its all a bit foggy. But the quote is from KMUD :) Found a quote saying roughly the same in the email exchange depository too "[How long to cook broths?] It's mostly for the attached cartilage, ligaments, and tendons, and most of the gelatin is released in 3 or 4 hours. Excess cooking oxidizes nutrients, especially if there's marrow in the bone. " Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki
I don't know how that 2 got in there ?

Yes! I thought you said 20 or 30 minutes which would be impossible for any bone broth to get gelatinous.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals