Blackness Under Eyes

Uselis

Hey,

so as per title I have this ''deficit''. It does not bother me that much but I am tired of theorizing on my own and want insights from other people.

* I am 28 years old male. Skinny but with muscle definition. My face is overall skinny with jawline and cheeks definition. I am mentioning this because I read it could be due absence of fat on face and bone structure.

* My diet is mostly potatoes, fruits, lean meats, coffee, honey, sugar, occasional liver, eggs, carrot, egg shell powder, some veggies here and there.

* I do workout first thing in the morning usually (with some fruit and sugared coffee before).

* I increased my water intake and ditch all dairy. I got some benefits from that but eyes stayed same.

* For several years my job was in front of screens for 8-10 hours 4 days a week. Job was also pretty stressful and I handle stress poorly.

* I do drink good amount of coffee. 2-6 cups a day. Somewhere I read that such intake might over tax kidneys and these could be related to blackness. Of course the way I am describing is pure bro science but just to give more details.

If there is anything I can add, please let me know.

Thanks!

M

marikay

Hi.

I seem to remember from somewhere that Ray has said that dark circles under the eyes can be caused by allergies and that sugar helps fight allergies. You don't mention how much sugar you get. Perhaps you could try getting more and see what happens.

And diary has made a big difference in the quality of my skin. Is there a specific reason you ditched dairy?

Finally, is it possible that you are getting too much water and not enough sodium?

OP
U

Uselis

Potatoes are sugar right? Or Ray meant in a form of fructose/sucrose? If later I put into a coffee close to 10 teaspoons per day combined and eat watermelon/melons every third day or so. I eat other fruits like apple, not very ripe oranges and bananas but those not really sugary ones I suppose.

I ditched dairy as an experiment and my mood swings lessened enough that I am hesitant to reintroduce it again. My sinusus cleared almost fully and I have almost 0 gas.

I sprinkle salt on my meals which I usually eat twice a day so I guess its enough? Plus my eyes had this issue when I was drinking 1-2 cups of water per day maximum.

* I wonder could eggs be allergenic in this case? I eat up to 4 a day.

Thanks for reply!

Last edited:

schultz

Potatoes are sugar right? Or Ray meant in a form of fructose/sucrose?

When Ray says sugar he mostly means fruit (Josh Rubin asked him in a podcast). He prefers a fructose/glucose blend over pure glucose (starch).

For some reason I thought the darkness under eyes was estrogen related, like a blue tinge to lips.

Here is another thread on this subject:

Dark circles under eyes

Nstocks

I had terrible dark circles when I was on Paleo. I found too much water, especially at night would make my eye region look very tired (but not swollen/puffy like many people get).

Allergies contribute too and I'm currently battling a flu which confirms this. Using a neti pot to clear the sinus helps to relieve congestion too.

OP
U

Uselis

Thanks,

Schultz, I read that thread awhile ago. I am not participating in endurance exercises and been dairy free for a month or so. These were most common responses in that thread

'' sometimes, actually often when you change diets or exercise routines or are under stress or have other worries like health, relationship, work, money etc, of drink too much coffee, you may sleep 8-9 hours, but you don't get enough DEEP sleep... and that can give you dark circles. how is your sleeping?''

This could make sense. While I would rate my sleep as good I don't really know if I enter REM phase often enough.

''Dark circles are caused by a loss of fat on the orbital rim or just shallow bone structure to begin with. I highly doubt your diet will cause dark eye circles, not even if you lost weight because that type of facial fat is only lost from the aging process.''

This one also interesting. I do have skinny, defined face.

Thoushant

I used to have them growing up. I still have is a slight tint, but it's improved a lot.
Periorbital dark circles | Wikiwand
I think poor oxygenation issues can contribute, as the deoxygenated Haemoglobin changes to a darker red, and makes it more visible through the skin.
Improving skin thickness(collagen production?) and increasing oxygenation(red light, breathing devices).

Could be a sign of hyperventilation too.
Dark Circles Under Eyes | Periorbital Dark Circles

Paced Breathing - تطبيقات Android على Google Play
Use this app. 2-3s inhales and gradually level exhales up 1s everday/every other day. Don't force it though

Last edited:
M

marikay

Potatoes are sugar right? Or Ray meant in a form of fructose/sucrose? If later I put into a coffee close to 10 teaspoons per day combined and eat watermelon/melons every third day or so. I eat other fruits like apple, not very ripe oranges and bananas but those not really sugary ones I suppose.

I ditched dairy as an experiment and my mood swings lessened enough that I am hesitant to reintroduce it again. My sinusus cleared almost fully and I have almost 0 gas.

I sprinkle salt on my meals which I usually eat twice a day so I guess its enough? Plus my eyes had this issue when I was drinking 1-2 cups of water per day maximum.

* I wonder could eggs be allergenic in this case? I eat up to 4 a day.

Thanks for reply!

I just remembered something. Darkness under eyes is the pooling of blood (which makes it a bruise). You don't mention that you take aspirin but if you do you may want to take some vitamin k2. This might work even if you don't take aspirin.

Ray says oranges should be eaten very ripe. He recommends against eating bananas because he says they are extremely allergenic. So maybe get rid of the bananas for a while and see it that helps.

Please do post an update on this. Good Luck

Area-1255

If dark circles are found under the eyes in conjunction with Ptosis of the eyelid aka ''droopy eyelids'' then it's quite possible that dopamine-beta-hydroxylase deficiency is to blame; that would create functional deficiency in norepinephrine. Norepinephrine helps to maintain skin elasticity and firmness as well as collagen production.
dopamine beta-hydroxylase deficiency
Dopamine Beta-Hydroxylase Deficiency - GeneReviews® - NCBI Bookshelf
Effect of norepinephrine on myocardial collagen gene expression and response of cardiac fibroblasts after norepinephrine treatment. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
U

Uselis

Marikay, if it disappears, I will. Thanks!

I don't take aspiring, thyroid and shame to admit but never bothered to measure my temp :) I just feel pretty good overall so wasn't seeing the reason.

X160

I found idealab's Solban effective in my case. The blackness under my eyes reduced significantly after 2 weeks of continuous topical application.

OP
U

Uselis

I accidentally thought about salt relation and darkness. Last months (when my circles appeared) I was going nuts with salt, sprinkling it everywhere. I found some info that excess salt could cause this.

Thanks for answers all

GorillaHead

If dark circles are found under the eyes in conjunction with Ptosis of the eyelid aka ''droopy eyelids'' then it's quite possible that dopamine-beta-hydroxylase deficiency is to blame; that would create functional deficiency in norepinephrine. Norepinephrine helps to maintain skin elasticity and firmness as well as collagen production.
dopamine beta-hydroxylase deficiency
Dopamine Beta-Hydroxylase Deficiency - GeneReviews® - NCBI Bookshelf
Effect of norepinephrine on myocardial collagen gene expression and response of cardiac fibroblasts after norepinephrine treatment. - PubMed - NCBI

Interesting I happen to have slight Ptosis in my left eye (happens to also be the eye with lower acuity) and darkness under my eyes
@rob what you think of this? Do you suffer from mild Ptosis ?

rob

Interesting I happen to have slight Ptosis in my left eye (happens to also be the eye with lower acuity) and darkness under my eyes
@rob what you think of this? Do you suffer from mild Ptosis ?

No, don't think so, sometimes a bit darkness under the eys but, looking up on Google images, eyes not droopy like that. Interesting though, never heard of Ptosis before.

On the ocular front, just had this crazy twitching in my right eye of late, which I thought was simply tiredness but it seems to have vanished with supplementation. Also, as said before, have the longstanding issue of my pupils being more dilated than most peoples due to what I assume to be adrenaline issues. Much better than what it was, along with general nervous system issues (incl. temperature intolerance and excessive armpit sweating), but still there.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals