Fats Make Me Feel Awful

Lincoln-Imp

My digestion has ruined years of my life, every time I eat I feel unwell. I believe fats make me feel worse than anything else though, if I eat something like coconut oil, eggs etc I will suffer for quite a while afterwards.

Has anybody else had an issue with fats and found a way to overcome it?

Jessie

Dietary fat can increase the absorption of endotoxin. So if you have a problem, this will likely only act as a agonist. The MCT oil, and maybe to a lesser extent coconut oil, can exert antimicrobial effects. They may actually help in small amounts. However, too much of any fat will increase serotonin irrespective of endotoxin because it upregulates bile production.

Knowing how centric serotonin's role is in the stress cycle, it would be advisable to keep dietary fats on the lower side. Peat seems to think anything over 30% is too much. Many people do better with much lower amounts. My fat intake is around 8-9% on average daily. I would go lower, but I find my diet becomes to restrictive to accomplish this. I think the Kempner rice studies was below 5% IIRC. But all his patients had was white rice, fruit juice, and cane sugar.

Jessie

Another forum member asked him: Ray Peat Is Fine With Up To 30% Of Calories From Saturated Fat

Also, there's a KMUD interview somewhere where he tells one of the callers that it's "best to keep fats low, and get as much starch and sugar as possible." However, I can't remember which episode it was, and since there's like over 100 of them I don't know which one to link. I was use to visiting WestsidePUFA's YT channel for it, because he excerpted that part out into a small clip. But dude closed out his account, and now the video is gone unfortunately.

So the general consensus is 30% is on the higher end of okay. And lower can be better for many people.

Maljam

Dietary fat can increase the absorption of endotoxin. So if you have a problem, this will likely only act as a agonist. The MCT oil, and maybe to a lesser extent coconut oil, can exert antimicrobial effects. They may actually help in small amounts. However, too much of any fat will increase serotonin irrespective of endotoxin because it upregulates bile production.

Knowing how centric serotonin's role is in the stress cycle, it would be advisable to keep dietary fats on the lower side. Peat seems to think anything over 30% is too much. Many people do better with much lower amounts. My fat intake is around 8-9% on average daily. I would go lower, but I find my diet becomes to restrictive to accomplish this. I think the Kempner rice studies was below 5% IIRC. But all his patients had was white rice, fruit juice, and cane sugar.

This isnt personal, you have made some very good posts recently but you need to stop repeating this all over the forum without evidence.

I've asked you on multiple occasions for proof of saturated fats effect on endotoxin being harmful.

Peat has spoken many, many times about saturated fat neutralising endotoxin through the chylomicrons. Your posts are either misinformed, or if you continue to avoid the question of providing evidence, they are potentially damaging other peoples health. What you are saying is simply incorrect.

Also (and not the first time I have asked) I want you to post evidence that saturated fat increases serotonin.

Finally, there was seems to be a lawsuit against Walter Kempner that alleged he used to beat his patients in order for them to keep them on his diet. Whether that effects your opinions on him or not is up to you.

Introducing the Kempner Rice Diet | NutritionFacts.org

Maljam

My digestion has ruined years of my life, every time I eat I feel unwell. I believe fats make me feel worse than anything else though, if I eat something like coconut oil, eggs etc I will suffer for quite a while afterwards.

Has anybody else had an issue with fats and found a way to overcome it?

I would say the two "fats" you mentioned are notorious for causing issues and shouldn't be representative of how you digest fats. Coconut oil is antimicrobial so can upset bacteria and make you feel bad, and seems to cause a number of people issues (Just Google "coconut oil panic attacks") Eggs are also famous for giving people issues, even those in "good health".

Have you not eaten fat in a while? It can take a little time for the body to adjust to dietary changes, a few weeks usually before it gets into the swing of things. If you haven't eaten much fat for a while, you might simply be adjusting to it and feel bad for a little bit, but better later.

I'd suggest fats such as butter and fatty cuts of meat like lamb chops, fatty steaks, to see how you react to them, they should be easier for you.

J

james2388

This is a gall bladder problem, you are not producing bile to emulsify and alkalize the fats and acids. Use methods to clear bile, and also consume Ox Bile. Look into the cofactors that create bile. Also blood markers may reflect elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin. I felt absolutely putrid, like I was rotting from the inside out when I drank fatty broth from a pot roast. And realized I had problems during these high fat meals. Pale, grey or green stools also reflect the gall bladder.

Maljam

This is a gall bladder problem, you are not producing bile to emulsify and alkalize the fats and acids. Use methods to clear bile, and also consume Ox Bile. Look into the cofactors that create bile. Also blood markers may reflect elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin. I felt absolutely putrid, like I was rotting from the inside out when I drank fatty broth from a pot roast. And realized I had problems during these high fat meals. Pale, grey or green stools also reflect the gall bladder.

Interesting you should say that, I have reacted negatively to pot roasts and boiled oxtail. I thrive on grilled and fried steaks, grilled lamb chops etc. I'm not sure if the method of cooking causes me to react negatively or the fat composition of the cuts that go into the roast.

J

james2388

Yes that is without a doubt most definitely the case. Pot roast and boiled oxtail are really fat heavy foods, grilling allows for fat to drip, frying leaner meats certainly makes a difference. Also consider you may only be producing a small amount of bile but when challenged with heavier meals, that's when you run into indigestion, inflammation, bloating, potentially even diarrhea.

I'd say it could be the cut of meat as well but also boiling. Steaming or baking could have a different effect. Hydrogen is in water and some hydrogenated by products can be the result in unsaturated fats. Say a difference from hard boiled egg to pouched eggs.

PaRa

Fats in RAW A2 MILK (Not raw butter, raw cheeses and others dairies)And coconut fat are the easiest to digest for me by far, having myself Cystic fibrosis and So difficulties to digest fat.
Some RAW yolks (2-3) are fine too

others animals and vegetal fats more difficult, seafood fats and proteins are the hardest, even with enzymes

Cocoa fat (stearic acid ?) is really hard too for me

Anders86

What about Choline? Choline is like oil for your liver. But some of us produce less, and some use choline constantly on coffe, b3, marihuana, cyproheptadine etc. And fats, it is supposedly what breaks down fat cells. Not enough choline and you get a fatty liver that doesn't nurture you neurotransmitters or detoxify your estrogen. Supplements are all alergenic, best way is to lower your fat consumption. Be aware of anticholinergics, limit diet to one egg a day and keep too some coconut oil. Then milk and oj.