Freely Eating Sugar Ruined Me

1. Opioids cause constipation, so does chronic intake of sucrose and dairy given their opioid receptors-binding properties.
Over-eating food that stimulates gut mu-opiod receptors can decrease gut motility, which could lead to constipation.
Small portion controlled intake of dairy should build up tolerance over time and have gut supporting effects.

Dairy contains butyrate:

Butyrate Is Crucial for Gut Health
Butyrate is important for creating tolerance in the gut and promoting an anti-inflammatory environment.

Butyrate is mostly not absorbed because it is primarily used by colon cells, where it serves as a major source of energy [R].

Butyrate-producing bacteria (such as Clostridium butyricum) live in the end part of the gut, in the colon [R].

Colon cells prefer butyrate for sustenance [R].

In the mitochondria of colon cells, 70% to 90% of butyrate is oxidized into acetyl-CoA, which is subsequently processed through the tricarboxylic acid cycle to generate a large quantity of ATP [R].

Butyrate and its “production factories” are imperative for intestinal health [R].

Not enough butyrate-producing bacteria in the gut can lead to serious problems [R, R]

23 Health Benefits of Butyrate & Sodium Butyrate + Side Effects - Selfhacked

Xisca

A year later, to give an update to this thread, I don't think it was the sugar that caused my issues because stopping my consumption of refined sugar/coke hasn't helped at all. I think severe serotonin dominance is the cause of all the issues I mentioned in the OP, and that is a result of many different things put together and can't be chalked up to just eating too much fructose/sucrose.

If you stopped sugar and coke.... what carbs did you keep?

I had to remove fruits.... they are loaded with sugar as well, fructose and glucose... No difference, or almost, at least nutrients! SIBO is going away...

Xisca

Xisca

Xisca

Btw gut irritants reliably cure constipation. Nothing like a big cup of coffee with cream (2 gut irritants, chlorogenic acid and carrageenan) to make me go to the toilet. Or spicy mexican food.

Constipation : I see 2 probable causes that are not mutually exclusive. (if that isn't your diet, disregard the first one I just want to put the info out here)

1. Opioids cause constipation, so does chronic intake of sucrose and dairy given their opioid receptors-binding properties.
2. Hypothyroidism. Since people often find Peat to self-cure their hypothyroidism, the combo of this diet and the condition is probably common, but an opioid-induced state also fits many of the parameters of hypothyroidism so they may be working in negative synergy, perhaps worsening the condition or putting a brake on recovery.

Go even deeper, and you will find that anything affecting the vagus nerve can disturb digestion in a way or another...

I agree about gut irritants, that is what most people rely on!
it might be that fat, even saturated one, can be a good solution, coconut, cacao, butter, beef fat....
But a good vagus nerve is the best!
About dairies, it might be that casein is not well digested...

Also look into gastroparestesia, I don't know if it has been talked about in the forum.... vagus nerve again!

Xisca

-Gained 25 pounds
-Lost muscle, gained a massive amount of stomach fat, now have a double-chin
-Lost all motivation, even to eat
-Have not eaten anything in 5 days, only drank coca-cola b/c I have no appetite for anything else (never hungry no matter how little I eat)
-No appetite, no motivation at all, super low energy, sleepiness, etc. are all a sign of massive dopamine receptor downregulation from sugar binging
-400mg of caffeine at once and I feel nothing
-Too lazy to type complete sentences (compare w/ the massive paragraphs I used to write when I first embarked on the Ray Peat journey when I hadn't begun to feel the after effects of replacing starch with sugar and instead felt hypomania like I was high)
-In short, I am a recovering addict
-Sugar really is a drug

I NEED my D2 receptors back, but they take months and years to regenerate even partially and most likely will never fully come back :(

How do you feel now and what have you done since last year?

If red light works for you, then take the sun as early as you can and outside and no glasses.
Fasting for cortisol reset.
Cold water at least on hands and face and then arms and legs, to stimulate the vagus nerve.
Lack of appetite can be a block of the muscles of the digestive system. This is the vagus nerve that is disregulated. I got this 2 years ago when I got ill. Belly massage by my bodytherapist did wonders!

Xisca

I agree with you. I tried organic coconut oil and it brought back my runny nose so I interpreted that as an inflammatory reaction even though Dr. Peat extolls the virtues of it. I am fine with coconut flakes but the refined stuff seems to be a problem for me. I used extra virgin coconut oil (Anthony's Organic brand) that I bought off Amazon. If anyone else has had a similar reaction yet found a brand that did not give them the same reaction - I am open to suggestions.
I don't want any remnant of chemicals, so refined is a nono for me, but mine is odorless. filtered.

I have better results with cacao butter! I digest it very well. I put it in coffee with an egg... I beat into cream and then add the coffee!

@tara, are you in australia?

raypeatclips

I had not come across most of these quotes, thanks for sharing them with me. I do recall him writing in an email that the best method of consuming potatoes is by juicing them and boiling the juice. That way you can cook and retain most of the protein and not risk persorption of the starch. The risk of presorption is not clear to me, however. If it the effect of it was truly pernicious, then why do so many people tend to lvie so long on diets based around starch and animal protien, for instance.

I thought the juicing potatoes and potato juice was initially mentioned by peat in the context of severely compromised people that were wasting away?

I agree there are countless centenarians that mention eating starch. In fact, I don't think any of them are "sugar only" carb source in the way some people that follow Peat live like. I would bet every single one of them eats some form of potato, rice, bread or wheat flour every day, not that this necessarily proves anything.

Maybe the starch reduction will allow people to live even longer, but I feel there are bigger issues with health than starch Vs no starch.

tara

Cold water at least on hands and face and then arms and legs, to stimulate the vagus nerve.
That's interesting. I remember that when I've had the chance to paddle in the sea, unless I was too unwell to cope with the cold, it is almost always restorative.

I don't want any remnant of chemicals, so refined is a nono for me, but mine is odorless. filtered.
Odorless and filtered is refined.

I thought the juicing potatoes and potato juice was initially mentioned by peat in the context of severely compromised people that were wasting away?
That was my reading too.

Elephanto

Over-eating food that stimulates gut mu-opiod receptors can decrease gut motility, which could lead to constipation.
Small portion controlled intake of dairy should build up tolerance over time and have gut supporting effects.

Dairy contains butyrate:

These foods contain opioid receptors-binding ligands, it's not about over-eating.

Dairy isn't needed to produce butyrate, and so isn't essential for gut health. Traditional Chinese Medicine argues that dairy is detrimental to gut health as it increases dampness, and so do the specifics like opioid receptors ligands, incomplete digestion of lactose, lactic acid-producing bacterias (that one, probably not bad for the gut but with systemic detrimental effects).

Dietary Fiber Increases Butyrate-Producing Bacteria and Improves the Growth Performance of Weaned Piglets. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

sladerunner69

I agree there are countless centenarians that mention eating starch. In fact, I don't think any of them are "sugar only" carb source in the way some people that follow Peat live like. I would bet every single one of them eats some form of potato, rice, bread or wheat flour every day, not that this necessarily proves anything.

Maybe the starch reduction will allow people to live even longer, but I feel there are bigger issues with health than starch Vs no starch.

So the risk presented by persorption of starch molecules is relatively low, you would think? In a pragmatic approach to dieting, I would say avoiding pufa is the most important factor, and next would be getting adequate carbs. Next I would focus on food quality, and so the further details.

raypeatclips

So the risk presented by persorption of starch molecules is relatively low, you would think? In a pragmatic approach to dieting, I would say avoiding pufa is the most important factor, and next would be getting adequate carbs. Next I would focus on food quality, and so the further details.

I think in Peats articles he talks about the most extreme situations (maybe extreme isn't the right word?) But talks about the ability of things such as starch to cause problems in worst case scenarios. When you hear him talk about it though, or ask him a question through an email, he seems much more relaxed about it. He has mentioned something like potatoes being either safe, or fine for "most" people and often mentions they should be eaten with some saturated fat, such as butter.

I've wondered if starchy molecules inside of supplements would be the worst sort of starch for persorption, not coming into contact with salvia in the mouth, maybe not any saturated fat in the stomach. Possibly smaller than the starch molcules in food?

Yeah the only thing I have been Peat never relax on when speaking, writing or emailing is PUFA.

Motif

RP ---" Everything that puts energy into cells and tissues in unbiological ways can cause some disruption."

Sugar(table sugar) surely is not a substance that puts energy in unbiological ways. Esspecially if diluted as in coke to resembles 10-12 % of sugar in fruit juice. It is naturally found biological nutrient in all fruits.

Compared to concentrated drugs such as cocaine or substances that are not produced in our system. Our body and brain makes fructose and glucose . And for example even coffee is not a pure drug because of purines and uric acid.

And we have very good mechanisms to tell when we had enough of a sweet things.

High Cortisol, overburdened sluggish liver, low thyroid and lack of nutrition and high protein intake are problems.

High protein is an issue? I think it's recommended?

And how to lower cortisol best?

stargazer1111

I started with milk and orange juice at first, but pretty soon I got so sick of them that I would get nauseous even just by looking at them. Plus milk gave me stomach pain, and orange juice gave me high blood pressure if I drank more than 1-2 glasses per day. Orange juice in particular was extremely bad for me... It made my blood pressure hover around 150/80. After stopping orange juice, however, BP is now back to 120/70! Coca cola was the only source of sugar which I could stand, but clearly I overdid it. It seems like starch is a necessary component of my diet.

Whenever I buy/cook any healthy solid food at all, I take a bite of it, and it tastes like leather to me. The only things tasty are fries, fried chicken, and coca-cola. I might just have to eat a few meals of just fries. I'm sure PUFA is better than no food at all, especially when I'm getting <1000 calories daily. What I don't understand is how I'm eating so little but still gaining weight (and my temperature is higher than ever, so metabolism doesn't seem to be slowing...)

I know this is an out-of-date post, but how do you know it was the orange juice giving you high blood pressure? Generally, orange juice shouldn't do this, especially considering how high in potassium it is.

My diet has consisted of orange juice, grape juice, skim milk, and lean meat (I've switched to lean chicken breast recently as I think I have a beef intolerance) for a while and I love it. It hasn't cured all of my problems, but it causes far fewer problems for me compared to keto or high starch. That's just me, though.

I should also echo what was brought up earlier about protein. Without enough protein, the liver is unable to process things, fructose being one of them. I suspect the liver requires a hefty amount of protein to properly metabolize fructose.

milkboi

I know this is an out-of-date post, but how do you know it was the orange juice giving you high blood pressure? Generally, orange juice shouldn't do this, especially considering how high in potassium it is.

My diet has consisted of orange juice, grape juice, skim milk, and lean meat (I've switched to lean chicken breast recently as I think I have a beef intolerance) for a while and I love it. It hasn't cured all of my problems, but it causes far fewer problems for me compared to keto or high starch. That's just me, though.

I should also echo what was brought up earlier about protein. Without enough protein, the liver is unable to process things, fructose being one of them. I suspect the liver requires a hefty amount of protein to properly metabolize fructose.

Yeah and probably also a good amount of choline.

stargazer1111

Yeah and probably also a good amount of choline.

True.

When I first switched to high-sugar, I was still only getting maybe 50-60 grams of protein per day because I wasn't drinking milk. I started getting relatively severe cramping pains over where the liver is. I have no idea if that was actually the liver, it could have been the bowel or something else too. But, ramping the protein up to around 100-110 grams per day seems to have corrected this issue, whatever it was.

Severe depletion of Watersoluble B-Vitamins?CNS-Symptoms due to Overfeeding?Thiamin-Deficiency?

redsun

The vitamin C content can raise blood pressure by increase noradrenaline production.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals