Freely Eating Sugar Ruined Me

Andman

you too? its not easy man. pls be strong against sugar.
whats the biggest treat u have to give up for avoiding sugar?

im trying man, its just so very hard! i hope to beat the sugar curse with omega 3 fish oil and tons of exhaustive endurance exercise!

InChristAlone

:coke:raypeatcoffee
Yeah man all that evil sugar! (As I drink my can of coke.....)
:hahahaha

i am trying to cut down on sugar.
drinks are the worst... all the soda. i am soooo trying to cut down on my coke and pepsi.

and cakes. sigh i have a sweet tooth and i love cakes so much :(
no choice, i do agree sugar is killing us :(
:(

danielbb

I believe food is a drug. It can cause great harm and it can be used to heal. Even water can be over-dosed. Not everyone reacts the same way to every substance. What I like about Ray Peat's advice is he talks about a few basic things that do seem to help most people. With respect to sugar, I believe in the strategic use of it. I've found (by accident) that 1 Coke (hopefully bottled with sugar and not high fructose corn syrup) taken just before bed (about 39 grams of sugar) has really improved my sleep quality and hormonal output. I've tried just sugar water and get about 75% of the response that I do from Coke. I believe the carbon dioxide and caffeine (about 30 mg) in Coke give it amazing healing properties. After about 20 minutes, it acts like a knock-out drug for me. Other than my one Coke per day, I do not eat that much sugar. I believe this hormonal effect is due to insulin and I don't believe in keeping my insulin levels high all day long.

Ideonaut

@lampofred maybe my experience has some parallels with yours? I think there's a lot of value in the Peat approach, but I've found the typical RP diet hasn't worked for me after several attempts, and that's pretty much down to me rather than the diet itself. I don't like shellfish or organ meats, can't access / afford good quality fruit in any decent quantity, find that drinking large amounts of milk gives me mucus, and am not crazy about eggs, so I end up undereating on protein and losing my appetite for everything except refined sugar. Then I get tooth sensitivity, weight gain and lethargy from the sugar. So I think that eating a less Peaty diet, perhaps getting a bit more PUFA / non-optimal food than I ideally should, but taking in more nutrients overall is the solution. I am continuing with Peat's ideas on progesterone, CO2, red light, perceive / think / act etc as these have all served me well.
This sounds reasonable to me, OTHER THAN WILLFULLY EATING PUFAS. That pufas are harmful is at the core of Peat's SCIENTIFIC view, and there's no good reason to eat them.

Wagner83

Freely drinking fresh OJ gave me a very odd body odor and itchy red glans, which I interpreted as some issues with blood sugar. Pretty sure I remember other odd things happening (eyes..). Coke feels harsh on the kidneys (my interpretation of the symptoms). I like all of those things, yet I think particularly in the liquid form sugar/fructose can be an issue.

inthedark

This sounds reasonable to me, OTHER THAN WILLFULLY EATING PUFAS. That pufas are harmful is at the core of Peat's SCIENTIFIC view, and there's no good reason to eat them.

It looks like they meant it in the context of eating more high nutrient foods overall, the pufa being incidental to that, not purposefully eating extra pufas.

tara

i am trying to cut down on sugar.
drinks are the worst... all the soda. i am soooo trying to cut down on my coke and pepsi.

and cakes. sigh i have a sweet tooth and i love cakes so much :(
no choice, i do agree sugar is killing us :(
absolutely! sugar is the devil!
I don't know whether you are eating too much sugar for your own good or not - some people do well with lots of sugar, as long as they also get all the other nutrition they need too. Some do better with less sugar and more starchy foods, such as spuds and other roots.

If you have reason to think that you are eating too much refined sugar for your own good ATM - that it is actually doing you harm, not just that there is a society-wide moral panic against sugar ATM - then I'd recommend:
- Use cronometer or similar to get a rough idea what nutrition - carbs, protein, minerals, vitamins - you are getting from your average daily diet.
- Identify a variety of replacement foods that you can imagine eating and enjoying that have more nutrition than the refined sugar foods.
- If you can see obvious low areas in your current diet, especially identify foods that would boost in those areas.
- Get yourself supplies of replacement foods, so that when you get hungry or thirsty, you have something more nutritious at hand to choose.

For instance, that might mean making sure you always have fruit and juice available, so that when you want sugar, you can have it - with the minerals you need to use it.
If you crave high-density sugar, try dried fruit.
Consider making cakes that have lots of dairy, eggs, maybe some fruit/veges (eg apple, zucchini, carrot), no high-PUFA oils, and less grain.
Check that you are getting enough protein.
Check that you are eating foods that give you enough minerals - esp the major alkaline ones - Ca, Mg, K, Na, but the smaller ones too.
B vitamins are important for using sugar.

Calcium foods are milk/cheese and/or lots of green leaves. Potassium is in fruits and veges etc. Liver every week covers several bases. Zinc is found in oysters. Etc ...

It's possible that once you fill your needs for all the other nutrients, your cravings for sugar will line up with your actual needs.

Are you aware which forum you are on? Dr. Peat is sugar's biggest advocate.
Yes. But not necessarily unlimited amounts of mineral-depleted refined sugars displacing other nutrition.

tara

Xisca

Peat is first about not being stupid.... Assess and experiment, see results and act accordingly. Believe your body before you believe ...anybody even Peat.
if sugar works for some, it does not mean it works for everybody.... i am a happy ketogirl since ... a few months, and i will stay so until I find that it does not work anymore for me.

i found that i could not be in the middle about sugar. When I saw I had to eat tons of fruits every 2 hours and that hunger was painful,, and still hot flushes, I said STOP. 3 days fast and all was back to normal, especially hot flushes gone. Now when I am hungry, it is not painful anymore.

My SIBO has gone down. Drastic.

My organic acid test was revelatory about not burning sugar properly.... and burning fats well. My mitochindrias say so!
Yes, you can find the "soot" of what we "burn" in our "stove"! You see this is urine. Too much soot = bad burning of the specific fuel.
No possible contesting...

if teeth are affected, and upper gut protests with SIBO, well just get a bit of thinking too...

danielbb

Peat is first about not being stupid.... Assess and experiment, see results and act accordingly. Believe your body before you believe ...anybody even Peat.
I agree with you. I tried organic coconut oil and it brought back my runny nose so I interpreted that as an inflammatory reaction even though Dr. Peat extolls the virtues of it. I am fine with coconut flakes but the refined stuff seems to be a problem for me. I used extra virgin coconut oil (Anthony's Organic brand) that I bought off Amazon. If anyone else has had a similar reaction yet found a brand that did not give them the same reaction - I am open to suggestions.

tara

Peat is first about not being stupid....
+1
I tried organic coconut oil and it brought back my runny nose so I interpreted that as an inflammatory reaction even though Dr. Peat extolls the virtues of it. I am fine with coconut flakes but the refined stuff seems to be a problem for me. I used extra virgin coconut oil (Anthony's Organic brand) that I bought off Amazon. If anyone else has had a similar reaction yet found a brand that did not give them the same reaction - I am open to suggestions.
Peat has mentioned that the unrefined (eg virgin) coconut oil can be allergic for some people, and that the refined oil usually avoids this.

tara

@tara - do you have a recommendation i.e., brand name?
I'd expect any RBD (refined, bleached, deodorised) coconut oil would be similar and worth a try. They filter it to leave just the oil.
If you want to tell which country you are in you might get something more specific.

tara

I'm not in US so haven't tried the ones available there. Hopefully someone else will suggest what works for them.

sladerunner69

I don't know whether you are eating too much sugar for your own good or not - some people do well with lots of sugar, as long as they also get all the other nutrition they need too. Some do better with less sugar and more starchy foods, such as spuds and other roots.

If you have reason to think that you are eating too much refined sugar for your own good ATM - that it is actually doing you harm, not just that there is a society-wide moral panic against sugar ATM - then I'd recommend:
- Use cronometer or similar to get a rough idea what nutrition - carbs, protein, minerals, vitamins - you are getting from your average daily diet.
- Identify a variety of replacement foods that you can imagine eating and enjoying that have more nutrition than the refined sugar foods.
- If you can see obvious low areas in your current diet, especially identify foods that would boost in those areas.
- Get yourself supplies of replacement foods, so that when you get hungry or thirsty, you have something more nutritious at hand to choose.

For instance, that might mean making sure you always have fruit and juice available, so that when you want sugar, you can have it - with the minerals you need to use it.
If you crave high-density sugar, try dried fruit.
Consider making cakes that have lots of dairy, eggs, maybe some fruit/veges (eg apple, zucchini, carrot), no high-PUFA oils, and less grain.
Check that you are getting enough protein.
Check that you are eating foods that give you enough minerals - esp the major alkaline ones - Ca, Mg, K, Na, but the smaller ones too.
B vitamins are important for using sugar.

Calcium foods are milk/cheese and/or lots of green leaves. Potassium is in fruits and veges etc. Liver every week covers several bases. Zinc is found in oysters. Etc ...

It's possible that once you fill your needs for all the other nutrients, your cravings for sugar will line up with your actual needs.

Yes. But not necessarily unlimited amounts of mineral-depleted refined sugars displacing other nutrition.

The term "sugar" need not assume the adjective "refined", although perhaps I missed the post where that was made clear.

Anyways in the "sugar" KUMD interview Peat says there are four main types of sugar: glucose, fructose, sucrose, and lactose. He claims all of these are very digestible and healthy.