For Peeps Who Normalized Temps With Thyroid, Did You Have Any Side Effects

For the first time ever my body temperatures are “normal” according to Broda Barnes.

If you made this journey, did you have any adjustment period, side effects, etc.?

T

tca300

I wrote this to Ray about 5 or so years ago when I used thyroid

ME: I've been trying a thyroid glandular, and it seems to warm my nose, feet, and fingers up really well, but I have no energy, and I feel like laying down all day because I'm so tired. Do you think it would be better to just supplement with T3 by itself?

Ray Peat: Since the whole body has to adjust, it can take several weeks of gradually increasing doses to get the best results. Thyroid improves the quality of sleep and ability to relax. Hypothyroid people often have extremely high adrenaline, and during the first couple of weeks the decreased stress hormones are noticeable.

OP
ecstatichamster
Thank you @tca300

I have been sleeping very well as usual.

Sex is really good.

I think this is helpful. I think this is an adjustment period...

mostlylurking

Side effects from optimizing my thyroid supplementation ( I went from 90 mg NDT by Armour to 180 mg NDT by Acella in 9 months' time): rheumatoid arthritis is in remission; scoliosis is gone; short leg is no longer "short"; I can swallow food without it getting stuck; I can sleep normally; vision is improved; brain fog is lifted; constipation is gone; tendons normalized in my mouth so I didn't lose my teeth after all. It's a lot of little things that improved over about 2 years time.

I've been hypothyroid all my adult life. I was under-medicated for many years, first with Synthroid, then with Armour. When Armour changed its formula spring of 2014 I declined in health rapidly so that by late fall I had full blown rheumatoid arthritis and my dentist told me that I needed to correct what was wrong or I was going to lose my teeth because the connective tissue in my mouth had changed. I couldn't do basic personal care like pulling up my own pants because my thumb joints had deteriorated. Fortunately I discovered that the Armour wasn't working at all and I switched to Acella and increased the dosage slowly over 9 months with the help of a new older endocrinologist (he's past 80).

The reason it takes so long to optimize the dosage is because hypothyroid people compensate with high adrenaline in order to function. When the adrenaline goes down because you've been taking some thyroid supplementation you feel worse. Then you get another thyroid blood test and increase the dosage some and feel good again for a few weeks until your adrenaline goes down some more. Then you repeat the process, increase the dosage, feel good, adrenaline goes down again so you feel worse, until your adrenals finally are happy and quiet and your thyroid function is optimized with the right dose of NDT. I just persisted with complaining to the endocrinologist that I had symptoms (mainly constipation and joint inflammation) and he was willing to put up with me and help me. This is not a simple single trip to the doctor; it takes some time and persistence. My last thyroid test showed that my free T3 is barely above the normal range. I feel fine though. So the doctor said we'd watch it and if it goes any higher we'll have to cut my dosage back a tiny bit. I see the endocrinologist about twice a year now.

I'm a big fan of Ray Peat's diet and follow his advice carefully. The diet is the key. I've been strictly avoiding PUFA since spring of 2015. No nuts, no seeds, no grains, lots of 1% organic milk and organic no pulp orange juice. No raw salads. No goitrogens. See here: Why People With Hypothyroidism May Want to Avoid Certain Veggies

JanW55

Forum Supporter
Sorry tried to reply here but got wrapped up in a quotation thing by mistake (of @mostlylurking). Anyhow, wanted to say this post is tremendously what my experience has been and it is a long and slow process (for me anyway) but things are improving now after the groundwork has been getting laid for awhile. Going on to 4 years February 2020 but better to have started at age 61 and be a lot better off at 65 than just keep on deteriorating the whole time and who knows what condition at 65 plus?! At this moment am using my LifeGivingStore red light to get some afternoon energy, one drop Tyronene in right ear, a few grains of salt and some OJ, and STILL WORKING AWAY thank goodness on the nutty current job which might improve soon, who knows, anyhow it's all better thanks to Tom Brimeyer who knew about Ray Peat who had a follower-forum (here) and wonderful items to buy from excellent vendors!

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals