All Supplements Eventually Cause Side-effects

dookie

After having experimented with a lot of supplements over the years, I have found that they all end up causing side effects.

Whether it be T3, aspirin, B-vitamins, Theanine, Magnesium, Progesterone, Herbs, ....

Even in a supplement which had some initial benefits, the side-effects always end up outweighing those.

And it seems the benefits get less and less, with the side-effects getting worse and worse, the longer I use a supplement.

An example is minocycline. First times I tried it, it produced some great effects, with increased tolerance to foods, etc. Now, it has been several months since I've last used it, and if I try even a few days of taking it, it produces nothing but side-effects (which weren't so bad first time I used it, but are now horrible), with little to no benefits. Has my body "learned" about minocycline, now "rejecting it"?

What's your experience with long-term supplementation? Have you found any supplement/drug that you could take for long periods of time (weeks or months or more) and it still benefited you? Any strategies to overcoming the decreasing benefits/increasing side-effects of supplements taken long-term?

Maybe there is something to the bodybuilder philosophy of cycling drugs, because the body "gets used to them"

Stryker

i think i have been taking 2-4g of taurine for about 10 years every day i dont think its caused me any side effects unless i dose it super high

EIRE24

i think i have been taking 2-4g of taurine for about 10 years every day i dont think its caused me any side effects unless i dose it super high

What have you noticed improved from taking taurine and I am guessing that you built up to the 2-4g rather than jumping straight in?

Stryker

What have you noticed improved from taking taurine and I am guessing that you built up to the 2-4g rather than jumping straight in?

i think its pretty safe to jump into anything under 5g a day , improvements i noticed were better mood , less water retention and better physical endurance

Atalanta

After having experimented with a lot of supplements over the years, I have found that they all end up causing side effects.

Whether it be T3, aspirin, B-vitamins, Theanine, Magnesium, Progesterone, Herbs, ....

Even in a supplement which had some initial benefits, the side-effects always end up outweighing those.

And it seems the benefits get less and less, with the side-effects getting worse and worse, the longer I use a supplement.

An example is minocycline. First times I tried it, it produced some great effects, with increased tolerance to foods, etc. Now, it has been several months since I've last used it, and if I try even a few days of taking it, it produces nothing but side-effects (which weren't so bad first time I used it, but are now horrible), with little to no benefits. Has my body "learned" about minocycline, now "rejecting it"?

What's your experience with long-term supplementation? Have you found any supplement/drug that you could take for long periods of time (weeks or months or more) and it still benefited you? Any strategies to overcoming the decreasing benefits/increasing side-effects of supplements taken long-term?

Maybe there is something to the bodybuilder philosophy of cycling drugs, because the body "gets used to them"

I have safely used nutritional supplements like b-vitamins, zinc, and magnesium for years with no attributable side effects. However, I don't take megadoses and don't take them every single day.

I think many people here are taking too high doses of supplements. High doses of supplements are actually drugs, in my opinion. Take for example biotin and Vitamin K2. Some people here are using them daily in amounts that are impossible to get from food (mg amounts instead of microgram amounts). I don't care what the "research" shows, common sense and caution should warn against using high doses of these substances for long periods of time. Those high doses are not working by correcting nutritional deficiencies. I can't accept that anyone needs, for example, 200,000iu of vitamin A daily in order to prevent a deficiency. It is okay to use nutritional supplements if you think they will help your condition, but don't delude yourself into believing that they are necessarily safer than "drugs".

Also, T3, antibiotics are prescription drugs which many people choose to use without doctor's supervison. And isolated substances like theanine are also drugs. No one really knows the long term effects of using isolated and concentrated substances.

It is really frightening how many supplements some people here are taking.

Drareg

Maybe you don't need them,in this case labs are good to check. Sometimes the addition of a substance Peat recommends can push energy levels up even if not needed, you could be experiencing something along those lines.

i think its pretty safe to jump into anything under 5g a day , improvements i noticed were better mood , less water retention and better physical endurance

Have you had any prolactin issues with taurine with that amount or are you offsetting prolactin with something else?

Stryker

Maybe you don't need them,in this case labs are good to check. Sometimes the addition of a substance Peat recommends can push energy levels up even if not needed, you could be experiencing something along those lines.

Have you had any prolactin issues with taurine with that amount or are you offsetting prolactin with something else?
i cant confirm via testing but i dont think its raising prolactin for me it boosts my mood and libido
however i find , ginkgo biloba , mitolipin and ladasten(bromantane) a potent combo for reducing prolactin..

lvysaur

Not to insinuate anything against your post specifically, but I always take these types of posts with a grain of salt because:

1) Many people are in the habit of taking supplements daily or regularly, rather than based on need.

2) Most people completely neglect to take note of the changes in their lifestyle/environment.

Maybe it's not what you took recently, but other stuff that you experienced or did or didn't do recently that's been hampering you. Socializing, walking, novelty, creation, etc., are as much supplements as vitamins ADEK and co.

natedawggh

Similarly, I've come to believe in a "less-is-more" approach to supplements and therapies. If a supplement increases the rate of some metabolic process it could eventually deplete some other substances involved in that process and can short circuit paths to healing. I'd describe it much like flooding the engine of a car. Too much gas actually extinguishes the ignition. One obvious effect can be seen when excess thyroid medication causes hair loss. That being said, I don't think the answer is to stop, but to use as small a dose as is effective, rather than using large stimulating doses.

Stryker

Similarly, I've come to believe in a "less-is-more" approach to supplements and therapies. If a supplement increases the rate of some metabolic process it could eventually deplete some other substances involved in that process and can short circuit paths to healing. I'd describe it much like flooding the engine of a car. Too much gas actually extinguishes the ignition. One obvious effect can be seen when excess thyroid medication causes hair loss. That being said, I don't think the answer is to stop, but to use as small a dose as is effective, rather than using large stimulating doses.
i agree , i found this especially with vitamin e and aspirin

AJA

I found that to be true with Iodine. Too much from diet and fish oil supplements. Feel much better off the fish oil. I just go for seafood when I can, especially when I eat out.

I found that to be true with Iodine. Too much from diet and fish oil supplements. Feel much better off the fish oil. I just go for seafood when I can, especially when I eat out.
Yes it’s definitely the iodine :cool

BigChad

How much iodine is in fish oil supplements?

AJA

There are variances. Fish oil tends to increase extracellular levels of acetylcholine. I may have been reacting to that as well.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals