Using Thyroid Despite Normal Temps?

S-VV

I have normal(ish) temps: 96.8F (36C) when waking up and 98.42F (36.9) after a few hours plus eating, and my heart rate is usually 80-90 bpm. Im dealing primarily with intractable whole body pain (neuropathic, osteoarthritic etc...) of CNS/nervous origen. I also have marked elevations of lactic acid after normal activities like walking. My question is, do you think thyroid is helpful in these circumstances?

Anectotally, I feel so much better in summer its unreal. I supplement with Vit D to get to high levels year round and use very bright plus red light, so discarding that, I can only think of thyroid being the differential factor between summer and the rest of the year. Also, caffeine is the most effective analgesic I have tried, so again, pointing to thyroid.

Would using thyroid despite normal temps be a rational choice, or am I walking into long term problems?

mrchibbs

I have normal(ish) temps: 96.8F (36C) when waking up and 98.42F (36.9) after a few hours plus eating, and my heart rate is usually 80-90 bpm. Im dealing primarily with intractable whole body pain (neuropathic, osteoarthritic etc...) of CNS/nervous origen. I also have marked elevations of lactic acid after normal activities like walking. My question is, do you think thyroid is helpful in these circumstances?

Anectotally, I feel so much better in summer its unreal. I supplement with Vit D to get to high levels year round and use very bright plus red light, so discarding that, I can only think of thyroid being the differential factor between summer and the rest of the year. Also, caffeine is the most effective analgesic I have tried, so again, pointing to thyroid.

Would using thyroid despite normal temps be a rational choice, or am I walking into long term problems?

Well your temps aren't really good. You're at least a full degree (97.8F-98.2F) below what is considered normal or "healthy" in terms of basal temperature.

Most people, after a few months incorporating pro-metabolic foods, are able to reach around 98.6F by midday, the challenge is what happens during the night.

So yes, thyroid supplementation could probably do you some good. Moreover, thyroid increases oxidative metabolism, and in turn you'll produce more carbon dioxide and less lactic acid.

Summer is the best. Getting extra UVB exposure from tanning beds for example can help compensate and improve mood/metabolism.

OP
S-VV

S-VV

Well your temps aren't really good. You're at least a full degree (97.8F-98.2F) below what is considered normal or "healthy" in terms of basal temperature.

Most people, after a few months incorporating pro-metabolic foods, are able to reach around 98.6F by midday, the challenge is what happens during the night.

So yes, thyroid supplementation could probably do you some good. Moreover, thyroid increases oxidative metabolism, and in turn you'll produce more carbon dioxide and less lactic acid.

Summer is the best. Getting extra UVB exposure from tanning beds for example can help compensate and improve mood/metabolism.
That's very interesting. I eat very pro-metabolic (fruits, juice, milk, high quality protein, no irritating starch etc...) And indeed I feel best right before going to bed and worse just after waking up. The first few hours of the day are the worst, and I actually feel cold there.

Do you have any recommendation for timing and/or t3:t4 ratios?

OP
S-VV

S-VV

My intuition says you're overweight. Are you overweight?
No, I'm a stable 20 -22 % body fat, which I have been ever since I recovered from keto/carnivore, where at my worse I was around 12%bf.

eeeeeeeeeeee

No, I'm a stable 20 -22 % body fat, which I have been ever since I recovered from keto/carnivore, where at my worse I was around 12%bf.
Keto can really **** you up. Not surprised at all about high lactic acid levels. I would stay the course on your new diet and use aspirin for pain. I think people here are a little too willy-nilly about using thyroid and hormone replacement drugs.

OP
S-VV

S-VV

Keto can really **** you up. Not surprised at all about high lactic acid levels. I would stay the course on your new diet and use aspirin for pain. I think people here are a little too willy-nilly about using thyroid and hormone replacement drugs.
Well, keto was about three years ago, my "real" problems started after a course of penicillin antibiotics right after keto, but I don't discard cumulative/degenerative damage, especially because after keto I did 20/4 intermittent fasting while doing heavy boxing training (one metabolic insult after another)

mrchibbs

That's very interesting. I eat very pro-metabolic (fruits, juice, milk, high quality protein, no irritating starch etc...) And indeed I feel best right before going to bed and worse just after waking up. The first few hours of the day are the worst, and I actually feel cold there.

Do you have any recommendation for timing and/or t3:t4 ratios?

For most people it follows the same pattern. Welcome to the (feeling awful) club :D

In my experience you should try to go to bed a bit earlier than you think, and eating throughout the day is essential, to build up liver glycogen for the night.

With regards to thyroid, I think a simple approach is best. Starting with 0.5 grains at dinner, and slowly ramp up over several weeks/months as necessary to feel better.

The morning temps will improve, slowly, as you rebuild your metabolism and functional tissues. There is a lot of experimenting to do, everyone has particular differences.

Back
Top Bottom