Fish oil deep breakdown against raypeat

boris

His points are already adressed in Peat's fish oil article. Vitamins in the studies not taken into account, decreased blood lipids are not a good thing when they are the result of liver damage, etc.. You can't help these guys see the light with the fish oil scam, they simply want to believe it.

"Between the first and second world wars, cod liver oil was recommended as a vitamin supplement, at first as a source of vitamin A, and later as a source of vitamins A and D. But in the late 1940s, experimenters used it as the main fat in dogs' diet, and found that they all died from cancer, while the dogs on a standard diet had only a 5% cancer mortality. That sort of information, and the availability of synthetic vitamins, led to the decreased use of cod liver oil."
-Ray Peat

youngsinatra

"Between the first and second world wars, cod liver oil was recommended as a vitamin supplement, at first as a source of vitamin A, and later as a source of vitamins A and D. But in the late 1940s, experimenters used it as the main fat in dogs' diet, and found that they all died from cancer, while the dogs on a standard diet had only a 5% cancer mortality. That sort of information, and the availability of synthetic vitamins, led to the decreased use of cod liver oil."
-Ray Peat
I’d love to know how much total cod liver oil per day that would equal to, when it‘s the „main fat source“. Even if you would replace a relatively low total fat intake of let’s say 50g a day with almost completely cod-liver oil, thats a ton! I am not surprised by those findings.

But I think cod-liver oils has been used in a range of 0.5 to 1 tsp a day mostly. This would give you 0.8g of PUFAs and 4500 IU of retinol roughly.
But at 10 times that amount you have 8 g of PUFAs and 45‘000 IU of vitamin A. Maybe it‘s not due to the fat content at all and maybe due to excess vitamin A?
I remain skeptical, many traditional diets approved cod liver oil for anemia, immune functioning and skin health.

I’d love to know how much total cod liver oil per day that would equal to, when it‘s the „main fat source“. Even if you would replace a relatively low total fat intake of let’s say 50g a day with almost completely cod-liver oil, thats a ton! I am not surprised by those findings.

But I think cod-liver oils has been used in a range of 0.5 to 1 tsp a day mostly. This would give you 0.8g of PUFAs and 4500 IU of retinol roughly.
But at 10 times that amount you have 8 g of PUFAs and 45‘000 IU of vitamin A. Maybe it‘s not due to the fat content at all and maybe due to excess vitamin A?
I remain skeptical, many traditional diets approved cod liver oil for anemia, immune functioning and skin health.

50 grams isn't unreasonable. 8 ounces of salmon is 29 grams of fat. I doubt they would die on that. Also don't forget fats get stored and stress releases them freely to circulate through the body during those times.

biohacker

Forum Supporter
I used fish oil for decades until I happened on to Peat. Stopped. But I keep reading positive things from people I trust about the benefits. Today I read this Dr. Russell Blaylock glowing article. I personally know Russell. He is mentioned in several other places on this forum, mostly in a positive way. The retired neurosurgeon used nutritionals his entire practice. Told me some crazy neat stories where nutrition saved people when nothing else would.

Please consider reading this and perhaps save me from going back to using it. :)

Attachments

• Omega-3_ Nature's Miracle Panacea.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 81
I used fish oil for decades until I happened on to Peat. Stopped. But I keep reading positive things from people I trust about the benefits. Today I read this Dr. Russell Blaylock glowing article. I personally know Russell. He is mentioned in several other places on this forum, mostly in a positive way. The retired neurosurgeon used nutritionals his entire practice. Told me some crazy neat stories where nutrition saved people when nothing else would.

Please consider reading this and perhaps save me from going back to using it. :)
I took fish oil for many years and it did wonders for my oily skin which was prone, heriditarily, to cysts. After 2 years at the dermatologist for my son's eczema, with no improvement, fish oil was the only thing that diminished it. With that being said, fish oil has it's pros and cons. It is an unstable racid unsaturated PUFA ridden oil that has been proven to cause cancer.

"With just a normal amount of vitamin E in the diet, cod liver oil is certain to be highly oxidized in the tissues of a mammal that eats a lot of it, and an experiment with dogs showed that it could increase their cancer mortality from the normal 5% to 100%. Although fish oils rapidly destroy vitamin E in the body, some of them, especially the liver oils, can provide useful vitamins, A and D. In studies comparing fish oil diets with standard diets, these nutrients, as well as any toxins besides fatty acids (Huang, et al., 1997; Miyazaki, et al., 1998) in either type of oil, should be taken into account, but they seldom are." Ray Peat

"By the 1940s, the polyunsaturated oils, including fish oils, were known to cause deterioration of the brain, muscles, and gonads in a variety of animals, and this was found to be caused mainly by their destruction of vitamin E. A little later, the disease called steatitis or yellow fat disease was found to be produced in various animals that were fed too much fish or fish oil." -Ray Peat

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals