Can SSRIs help someone who is depressed

OP
limitless77

limitless77

is the white bread youre eating fortified with iron? I would try removing the wheat first. No need to cut the rice for now
don't know to be honest but I don't think so , I'm gonna try to remove it and see how it goes

OP
limitless77

limitless77

Have you had any bloods done? Prolactin, estrogen, vitamin d, TSH etc? How did depression come about? Is it psychological or has it just declined through poor lifestyle? Or drugs? And how long have you felt depressed? These, for me are the important questions for pointing yourself in the right direction.

Also SSRis can be effective when micro dosed (from what I have read) as can some herbal equivalents.
I think my vitamin d is in check because I used to get a lot in the sun , no idea about prolactin and estrogen and my TSH was 2 uIU/ml 1 month ago should I do a prolactin and estrogen test in your opinion ? and I think my depression is psychological and it declined a lot through poor lifestyle ( no social life , doing nothing ,feeling like life is passing me etc)
how can you micro dose SSRis ?

lilsticky

yes because ray peat claims they raise storage pregnenolone without any explanation or proof. and this only happens with some of them some of the time for some reason. what's there to disagree with?

Jayvee

I think my vitamin d is in check because I used to get a lot in the sun , no idea about prolactin and estrogen and my TSH was 2 uIU/ml 1 month ago should I do a prolactin and estrogen test in your opinion ? and I think my depression is psychological and it declined a lot through poor lifestyle ( no social life , doing nothing ,feeling like life is passing me etc)
how can you micro dose SSRis ?
I'm still researching the SSRi question, I am wanting to know myself (possibly a none starter). It could be worth getting your prolactin checked as that can suppress Dopamine and give you a feeling of anhedonia you describe (as can lots of things). But if its psychological then you might just need a 'shake up' on how you approach life and this, in my opinion is where using some peaty methods (and potentially micro dosing ssris) can help, I think people lean too much on supplements and foods alone, but you also need to get yourself in to social situations, learn a new skill, take up a new hobbie, clean up around you, read a book etc. In conjunction with 'peaty'; foods, supplements and drugs.

OP
limitless77

limitless77

I'm still researching the SSRi question, I am wanting to know myself (possibly a none starter). It could be worth getting your prolactin checked as that can suppress Dopamine and give you a feeling of anhedonia you describe (as can lots of things). But if its psychological then you might just need a 'shake up' on how you approach life and this, in my opinion is where using some peaty methods (and potentially micro dosing ssris) can help, I think people lean too much on supplements and foods alone, but you also need to get yourself in to social situations, learn a new skill, take up a new hobbie, clean up around you, read a book etc. In conjunction with 'peaty'; foods, supplements and drugs.
any idea how much of a dose is considered a micro dose?

Jayvee

any idea how much of a dose is considered a micro dose?

Not a dose I could recommend as yet without doing more research. Some more expert people here than me on this, search around and ask, I've not had much time to properly research it yet.

peterpan

Hello, i struggle with the same symptoms. I tried crypto the first day was good but after some days it made me even more depressed. The same with zinc i am a bit less anxious in social interaction but henerally more depressed. I just want to sleep and have low motivation to do anything. I had made an blood panel but i don't know how to read it. I got lexapro in the past and thought it was helping me but i stopped due to the bad reputation. O think i can fix my problems only with nutrition and good food but sometimes i comw to the point that only ssri would help. Even Vitamin d3 makes me feel wired and it feels not really natural.

I will post here my other thread with my bloodwork perhaps someone can help.

cureme

The beneficial effects like increased neurosteroid synthesis are achieved at significantly lower doses than serotonin reuptake inhibition, so if you want to try them go with something like 1/10:th of the low range dose, like 1mg citalopram.
do you have the source of this information?

mostlylurking

don't know to be honest but I don't think so , I'm gonna try to remove it and see how it goes
I believe depression is caused by lack of body energy. Good body energy requires good oxidative metabolism that results in ATP. Good oxidative metabolism requires good thyroid function AND thiamine.

search engine for Ray Peat articles: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless Use the cell on the left; search for Thyroid.

The Broda Barnes book is very good. Download PDF: Hypothyroidism by Broda Barnes Free Book PDF

Here's a study (or 2) on how thiamine deficiency affects brain function:
and

One of the things that thiamine deficiency does is that it compromises the blood brain barrier so things like iron get into to the brain and cause problems.

Thiamine deficiency can be caused by ingesting more sugars/starches than the body has thiamine available to process. It gets used up. Thiamine functional blockage is serious and can be caused by many pharmaceutical drugs, including many antibiotics. Stopping the drug does not necessarily stop the thiamine functional blockage. Another issue that damages thiamine stores/function is heavy metal toxicity. Mercury amalgam dental fillings cause heavy metal toxicity that wreaks havoc. Lead poisoning is very common too, as is aluminum. If you are carrying a load of heavy metals, your requirement for thiamine will be higher.

Error - Cookies Turned Off

quote: We hypothesize that excess iron, that is, brain iron overload (BIO), is a highly relevant pathway leading to cognitive deterioration in individuals with AUD. We further hypothesize thiamine depletion, a common concomitant feature in AUD patients, to be a key stimulus for BIO, as thiamine deficiency disrupts the integrity of the blood-brain barrier (BBB), enabling iron from the circulation to enter the brain in an uncontrolled manner.

Vitamin B1 Deficiency a Key Factor in the Development of Alcohol-Related Dementia - Neuroscience News

quote: A common consequence of chronically high alcohol consumption is a decline in cognitive function, which can even progress to full-blown dementia. However, we do not yet fully understand how alcohol damages the brain. A research group led by Stephan Listabarth from MedUni Vienna’s Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Division of Social Psychiatry, has now developed a hypothesis whereby iron deposits in the brain – resulting from alcohol-induced vitamin B1 deficiency – can be regarded as key factors in cognitive decline. The work has now been published in the leading journal “Alzheimer’s and Dementia”.

Thiamine reduces tissue lead levels in rats: mechanism of interaction - BioMetals

Lead (Pb) toxicity has been a serious concern in industrialized societies because of its association with functional deficits in nervous, haematopoietic and renal systems. Several studies have shown beneficial effects of thiamine on Pb toxicity. It is speculated that Pb chelation by thiamine may be a possible mechanism. However, the exact nature of these interactions remained elusive. In the present study we have characterized the interaction of Pb with thiamine using UV–Vis as well as fluorescence spectroscopic methods and studied the effect of thiamine treatment on blood and tissue Pb levels during simultaneous or post-exposure to Pb in rat model. The spectroscopic studies revealed that Pb interacts with the pyrimidine ring of thiamine, leading to its solubilization at physiological pH. Further, thiamine reduced the Pb levels in blood, kidney and bone during both simultaneous and post-exposure Pb treatment. Interestingly, thiamine appears to prevent the accumulation of Pb in bone during simultaneous treatment. Together these results suggest that pyrimidine ring of thiamine mediates its interaction with Pb, leading to the prevention of its accumulation and/or increased clearance from tissues.

Unless you want to gain 30 lbs, I would not doSSRI. Here is my anti depressant hack , LOTS of vitamin d , supplement AND sun , coffee with tons of cream and sugar , , if it is really bad I will take a Claritin D or a couple days , AND go on a cleaning rampage . House , car, body , grout with a toothbrush lol etc

Vanset

have you got this ? (Qualify for each)

easy orgasm, high libido, body hair, proeminent veins on arms, seasonal allergie, digestive allergies (not food intolerance)
sweat easily and a lot, cold tolerance, hot tolerance
itchy eyes, mosquito bites very irritating
headaches
veins pulsing heart beating when in the bed
insomnia or sleepy a lot
what does this indicate?

OP
limitless77

limitless77

i
Undermethylation/high histamine.
I'm high histamine that's for sure , I went to my ENT 5days ago and he put me on aerius and allergodyl spray I think they are both histamine blockers and ive been ale to breath better since then.

golder

Yeah both H1 anti-histamines.
Interesting I’ve not heard of of aerius and allergodyl. I don’t know why my ENT doctor didn’t mention it with all the years I’ve gone to him about sinus issues. I’ll have to have a look into trying these two. Has Peat mentioned them in neutral/favourable terms?

redsun

How do we increase methylation through a Peat prism?
You do need some form of methyl donor like betaine and you need the B-vitamins which are necessary cofactors for the methylation cycle. Copper and zinc are most important in methylation and copper is most important for reducing or antagonizing excess histamine.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals