Fish bone meal / Bone meal

xanderf094

Hi all, can't seem to find any info on this and wanted to put it out there.

Fish bone meal from wild caught fish, seems to be a great source of calcium, natural ratio of 2:1 with phosphorus. It's the form of calcium Hydroxyapatite as it's from the bones. Similar to bone meal powders. Found a couple studies referring to increased absorbtion over carbonate (up to 6 times) for serum calcium counts.

Calcium from salmon and cod bone is well absorbed in young healthy men
Recovery and utilization of calcium from fish bones byproducts

And a quote from a supplier:
Naturally occurring high levels of calcium (25.14%), phosphorus (12.75%) and marine collagen (14.2%), are retained. As well as many other naturally occurring minerals and trace elements, including iron, magnesium, selenium, and zinc.

I know Ray has spoken about calcium carbonate as a supplemental source from egg shells. Wondering if anyone has experimented or found any reasons why this form of calcium would be ill advised?

Thanks

Hi all, can't seem to find any info on this and wanted to put it out there.

Fish bone meal from wild caught fish, seems to be a great source of calcium, natural ratio of 2:1 with phosphorus. It's the form of calcium Hydroxyapatite as it's from the bones. Similar to bone meal powders. Found a couple studies referring to increased absorbtion over carbonate (up to 6 times) for serum calcium counts.

Calcium from salmon and cod bone is well absorbed in young healthy men
Recovery and utilization of calcium from fish bones byproducts

And a quote from a supplier:

I know Ray has spoken about calcium carbonate as a supplemental source from egg shells. Wondering if anyone has experimented or found any reasons why this form of calcium would be ill advised?

Thanks
I don’t know, I see it isn’t recommended for cats and dogs…..

“Bone meal is made up of defatted, dried, and flash-frozen animal bones that are ground to a powder. Gardeners often use bone meal to dust spring bulbs (to prevent squirrels from ingesting the bulbs). This “bone” is also what makes it so palatable to your dog so make sure to keep your pet from digging in it and ingesting the soil. While this also makes a great organic fertilizer, it can become a problem when consumed in large amounts as the bone meal forms a large cement-like bowling ball foreign body in the stomach – which can cause an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract – resulting in possible surgery to remove it.“

OP
X

xanderf094

I don’t know, I see it isn’t recommended for cats and dogs…..

“Bone meal is made up of defatted, dried, and flash-frozen animal bones that are ground to a powder. Gardeners often use bone meal to dust spring bulbs (to prevent squirrels from ingesting the bulbs). This “bone” is also what makes it so palatable to your dog so make sure to keep your pet from digging in it and ingesting the soil. While this also makes a great organic fertilizer, it can become a problem when consumed in large amounts as the bone meal forms a large cement-like bowling ball foreign body in the stomach – which can cause an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract – resulting in possible surgery to remove it.“

So is chocolate

Bone meal for plants is a thing, as are supplements made from ground bone

So is chocolate

Bone meal for plants is a thing, as are supplements made from ground bone
I know eggshell is digestible to humans, but I don’t know about any bonemeal being good. Just because it is a supplement, intended for human consumption, doesn’t mean it is going to be positive. We will have to do more investigating on this fish bonemeal to be sure. It seems a better option than animal bonemeal.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals